Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

tablet to use with my 6700 remotely

I will be looking for a new windows 8.1 or 10 tablet to use with my 6700 remotely can anyone put together a list of hardware and software that would make this a real premium setup ? thanks JOhn kb2huk

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have a "Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130" 11-inch Windows tablet that works great. Running Win 8.1 and SSDR 1.4.3. I can't imagine running maximum slices on a tablet, so I think the field is pretty open for you. Enjoy!

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  Recommend minimum of 128 MB solid-state storage memory (It's fast), 4 MB of RAM. i5 or i7 processor.  I did not get the keyboard, but might order it later. Have worked remote with it and it works great.  Headset of your choice.  I use the Cyber Acoustics, it works well and is not expensive. I use TightVNC and Skype for controlling the base computer and SmartSDR and Skype for the audio segment. Also, have worked full remote using only my I-Phone with Team Viewer, if you want to go that route.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi John,
    If you are not in a rush the Surface Pro 4 should be out this summer/fall  and Win 10 is due around the same time.   Rumored to have a 12 and 14 inch size available.  The 14 would give a little more real estate for SSDR.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/surface-pro-4-release-date-price-news-and-...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good point, Al. The SSDR buttons are small on a tablet. Hmmm... software idea - a "touch" version of SSDR with no/limited panadapter and waterfall? Like Stu's iPad app, but with audio and CWX? Would cut the resource burden down, for sure. And help us ****-fingered old men...

• GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    John,

All that has been mentioned is good.  So far, I've not really seen that lots of horsepower is needed though.  Yesterday, I installed SmartSDR on a simple Winbook TW802 (Windows 8.1) tablet...yes, I do use a Bluetooth mouse with it...read that as big fingers work better with a mouse on a tablet!

So far I've run SmartSDR on Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit) with a upper end desktop; an older Toshiba Satellite A505 with Windows Vista (64-Bit), and now on the Winbook.  All worked well.

I think the most critical part is the network you use.  I upgraded my whole home network to 1GB+ a little over a year ago including high speed routers and access points (like the Engenius Ext202).

I think it will be interesting to test real remote access (via the Internet) with Teamviewer or Logmein. I've not tried that yet though I still think network latency will be the Achilles' Heel.

Having said all of this, if you're in the mood for a more powerful laptop or hybrid like the Surface pads...go for it!  I'm sure they will work very well...and you certainly have a good excuse!

Gary, AK4ZX

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Most tablets, including the Surface Pro 3,  allow the reverse-pinch move to zoom in on your screen.  If you are using TeamViewer and do the reverse-pinch on the screen you can zoom in to make an Icon as big as you want. Do a regular pinch to zoom out.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am running a ASUS T100TA transformer tablet with 32 bit Windows 8.1 full version and it run very well.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.