tablet to use with my 6700 remotely

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I will be looking for a new windows 8.1 or 10 tablet to use with my 6700 remotely can anyone put together a list of hardware and software that would make this a real premium setup ? thanks JOhn kb2huk
Photo of John Molenda

John Molenda

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I have a "Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130" 11-inch Windows tablet that works great. Running Win 8.1 and SSDR 1.4.3. I can't imagine running maximum slices on a tablet, so I think the field is pretty open for you. Enjoy!
Photo of Doug K0DV

Doug K0DV

• 112 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  Recommend minimum of 128 MB solid-state storage memory (It's fast), 4 MB of RAM. i5 or i7 processor.  I did not get the keyboard, but might order it later. Have worked remote with it and it works great.  Headset of your choice.  I use the Cyber Acoustics, it works well and is not expensive. I use TightVNC and Skype for controlling the base computer and SmartSDR and Skype for the audio segment. Also, have worked full remote using only my I-Phone with Team Viewer, if you want to go that route.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1678 Posts
  • 573 Reply Likes
Hi John,
If you are not in a rush the Surface Pro 4 should be out this summer/fall  and Win 10 is due around the same time.   Rumored to have a 12 and 14 inch size available.  The 14 would give a little more real estate for SSDR.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/surface-pro-4-release-date-price-news-and-...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Good point, Al. The SSDR buttons are small on a tablet. Hmmm... software idea - a "touch" version of SSDR with no/limited panadapter and waterfall? Like Stu's iPad app, but with audio and CWX? Would cut the resource burden down, for sure. And help us fat-fingered old men...
Photo of Gary S Ownsby

Gary S Ownsby

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
John,

All that has been mentioned is good.  So far, I've not really seen that lots of horsepower is needed though.  Yesterday, I installed SmartSDR on a simple Winbook TW802 (Windows 8.1) tablet...yes, I do use a Bluetooth mouse with it...read that as big fingers work better with a mouse on a tablet!

So far I've run SmartSDR on Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit) with a upper end desktop; an older Toshiba Satellite A505 with Windows Vista (64-Bit), and now on the Winbook.  All worked well.

I think the most critical part is the network you use.  I upgraded my whole home network to 1GB+ a little over a year ago including high speed routers and access points (like the Engenius Ext202).

I think it will be interesting to test real remote access (via the Internet) with Teamviewer or Logmein. I've not tried that yet though I still think network latency will be the Achilles' Heel.

Having said all of this, if you're in the mood for a more powerful laptop or hybrid like the Surface pads...go for it!  I'm sure they will work very well...and you certainly have a good excuse!

Gary, AK4ZX
Photo of Doug K0DV

Doug K0DV

• 112 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Most tablets, including the Surface Pro 3,  allow the reverse-pinch move to zoom in on your screen.  If you are using TeamViewer and do the reverse-pinch on the screen you can zoom in to make an Icon as big as you want. Do a regular pinch to zoom out.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 497 Posts
  • 93 Reply Likes
I am running a ASUS T100TA transformer tablet with 32 bit Windows 8.1 full version and it run very well.

73's
Bret
WX7Y