System crash when power is turned off

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
When I turn the power supply off after a couple of seconds I get the 2 red flashes telling me that the software has crashed. This happens every time I turn the power off after shutting down the radio then on start up the radio reboots every time. Are these events normal behavior?? No mention of crash notice after power off in the manual. Been happening from day one and as I get to know the radio I am noticing more.Thank you for any replies! 

Bob W1AGC
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 141 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Bob,

What is your radio and is SSDR running at the time of shut down?

Roy -- W5TKZ
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Roy

Thanks for the reply.

My radio is a 6400M and the radio is powered off as described in the manual.he radio shuts off and about 2 seconds after I turn off the power supply I get the 2 red flashes which is a software crash indicator according to the manual. New to this radio so not sure whether this is normal or a problem.

Bob
W1AGC
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Also If I don't turn off the power supply there is no indication of a crash and the radio starts up normally. The thing is I never leave the power connected when I leave the shack. Thanks again.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Bob

It's Normal, a consequence of removing power with the radio powered on. When you turn off the power supply it doesn't instantly drop to 0 volts, the voltage drains off dropping from @13.8 v, down to 0 v. As the Voltage supplied drops below, a certain , threshold the radio will display an error message about the low voltage. Turn the radio off, before turning off the power supply, to avoid triggering the error. The same thing happens if there's a power failure. In effect your crashing the software by removing power from the radio.  

Jay / NO5J
Photo of fkf

fkf

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Same procedure at my Station, Flex Radio 6400.It's always turned off.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Happens on my 6600M even if I turn the radio off minutes before turning the power supply off.
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 120 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
does that occasionally on my 6500...  started noticing it about 8 months ago  Mike
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 538 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
My 6700 gives the voltage error when I turn off the power supply when the radio is already turned off.
Photo of bobby

bobby

• 55 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Mine always has done this, the flex is shutdown normally then i place my antenna switches to disconnect it. Then I turn off the power supply. The power supply shuts down and it takes about 15 seconds for the voltage to completely go away from the power supply and then SNAP .. comes from the flex as the red light flasehes 2 times.

This is a 6400M with the latest software version which I run as standalone normally not with anything connected to it. This has happened since day 1 through all firmware revisions all the time.

I have read that its because there was no circuitry added (value engineering to keep price low) to eliminate this result. It has never caused any issues other than its annoying cause my tv or any other electronics I use dont exhibit this behavoir.

I dont think you have anything to worry about, its just the nature of the beast.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Same here with 6600M.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 302 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
my 6600m has the same behavior... NO problem when turned back on..

so my take would be this is normal behavior and no need to worry or fret.

Paul K3SF
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you all very much for helping with my radio hypochondria. Much appreciated.

Bob W1AGC
Photo of Gene Duprey

Gene Duprey

• 125 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I leave my power supplies turned on all the time, so I never see this.  I will add, my supplies are on the floor out of reach (easily).

Gene, K1GD
(Edited)
Photo of Jim  KJ7S

Jim KJ7S

• 187 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Question. If you just pull out the power cable from the radio, or put a switch in line with the power so the voltage is an instant drop instead of more of a bleedoff thing, does the radio still 'crash'?
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 120 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
My 6500 comes up with the error after I have shut down SSDR, then pressed the power button for it to go through its "shutdown" sequence and then after it has completed and gone dark I shut the power supply down maybe 5 or 10 seconds later the display lights up with an error message.  It apparently does no harm as it starts right up like a champ next time I use it.  There must be some housekeeping process that is still running even for a while after it appears to have completely shut down.  ??  dunno
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Mike
I am not sure how to turn the SSDR off first on  the 6400M or if I can???
That said it doesn't matter how long I wait to turn off the power I still get the red light and a good start up so until FRS tells us it is a problem I will accept it as normal. More troubling is that my radio has had about 3 actual software crashes. Low power, dummy load, ATU tuned etc. Fine after reboot. I am hoping it will settle down and behave.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 32 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Jim
Haven't tried either of those. 

Bob
W1AGC

Photo of N8AUM

N8AUM

• 119 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
My 6600 also flashes as the voltage decrease to 0 

N8AUM
(Edited)
Photo of rjguidrysr

rjguidrysr

• 98 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I run my Flex 6600 on UPS power and never turn it off as far as 12 volts goes unless it is to do a cold boot per manual.  I do use a remote relay to turn on and off the radio but not power.  
Russ K5OA
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
My 6300 flashes green 2 times when I shut it down. In the years I've owned it, it has never been an issue. I never considered it a crash.

Bob, I think there's no need to worry.  It would be cool if it would flash ... -.-   8^)
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 439 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
After reading through all the posts, it seems clear to me that what we have is a clear case of falls positives. I guess this might be a cue to Flex to correct this. They could set a bit that would tell the shut down process to ignore failure indications while shutting power off to the radio.