Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

system boot - "Select a Version"

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
When booting up the 6400M, the user eventually arrives at a screen that displays three soft buttons: Info/Connect/SmartLink Setup.  After selecting "Connect", I am asked to select from either of two pieces of firmware, v2.1.32, or v.2.1.30.

Is there a way to configure the radio to make the latest downloaded firmware several as the default so that when I press "connect" the radio will automatically load latest available firmware rather than having to manually select from multiple versions of firmware?

Answers

• James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Same thing with the 6600M. I too would like an option to automatically go to the currently installed version. Otherwise, having fun on 20 meters which is a zoo today! And the CW section is worse!

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    According to user manual page 27 the select a version screen appears only when a new version of smartsdr is available. So to me that means that once you start in a version on the list the only time that screen will appear again at startup is if the radio detects a newer version of smartsdr is available from the mothership it tries to contact when it boots.

Unfortunately I dont have my 6400M yet to verify this on.

Wayne
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Tried it on the 6600M. Still requires selecting the version of software to run. I think the option to do otherwise is in SSDR for the PC. I'll have to check.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks James and Wayne.  I will follow James' suggestion of  looking in SSDR for the PC to see if the option to select a default version of firmware exists there.  At this point, my experience is identical to James':  each time the radio is powered on, option to select "Run" does not appear unless I manually select from the two available versions of firmware.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Doug, I tried it in SSDR and could not find an option to auto start the current software version. Maybe, they'll include that in another update.

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi James, thanks for checking!  My previous radio was a K3, which is in addition to my back up, a ic-7300, so I am new to the world of Flex. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    There is logic in the software to auto start the software that runs on the M models (as well as on the Maestros) if certain conditions are met, like not connecting to the radio with a different client, a new version of software is not available, connecting to the same radio (which is always met with an M model), and a few other operational "state" conditions.

If the M model is the only radio on your network and you are not using a different GUI client (Maestro, SSDR Win, SSDR iOs, dogparkSDR) to connect to it and you constantly have to select the latest version of the software (v2.1.32 as of this writing), then there may be something amiss in the logic that is supposed to perform this function.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim, this is still not working for me.  6600m  is requiring me to select the version after 10 starts (no SSDR and no Maestro).

Also on occasions the radio will get to a point that it has green button and black screen and is available to SSDR but wont bring up the M radio front panel to connect. The only thing I can do is shut it down and start over.

This is not specific to this radio. Happened on the first 6600M I had.

Rich
  • Jim-KB1ZNV
    Jim-KB1ZNV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My 6600M also requires me to continually select the version after numerous times. So as you suggest something is amiss in the software - just a minor nuisance. Everything else seems to run as expected so far after a heavy week of usage.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Based on my conversations with them, this is still normal.  If it occasionally auto-starts this would be also be considered normal.

I think most people would agree that the process could be improved on. Auto boot should be normal with a button in corner that says "startup options" that you may select if you want to revert to an older package.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have never experienced the "auto start" Tim referenced.  Always have to select the version on the 6400M.  Process needs to be revised for user with only 1 radio and constantly using the latest version and no update available.   
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I guess I will chime in here also my new fresh off the press 6400M this past week also requires me to choose. Not a big deal but it would be nice to skip this and move pass automatically 
  • Omar Al Attar
    Omar Al Attar Member
    edited June 2018
    same issue here,,, 
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i have a 6600m running ssdr 2.2.8....and
    on startup its return to last setup (profle) that was running when i turned it off....no problem here...

so my question to all  having the i startup issue, are you running the latest version of ssdr?
    i thought version 2.2.8 resolved this issue....it did for me.
    Paul K3SF

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Patience grasshopper ... If you start the rig the same way standalone it takes maybe 4 or 5 times I forget the exact number as the rig learns your startup. After it learns then it will boot the latest version and go straight to the panadapter without asking for a version.

If you start your rig in different ways for different reasons such as ssdr for windows or ssdr for ios etc. then it takes longer for it to recognize how to startup.

YMMV.

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Also when the rig boots up it always boots up in the same way it was shutdown its called persistence. Therefore you should create profiles which define how you wish to operate, I have a standard profile I load as the 1st thing I do once the rig boots up that way I start at the same place each time and can then choose other profiles based upon which band, mode I am going to operate in, or even it I want to go barefoot or load a different profile for my amplifier.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My 6400M will ask me to "connect" and then select which SDR version unless my computer is turned off.  Then it boots directly to radio using the current version of SDR.  I had imagined that this was so the operator can decide whether to use the radio screen i.e. go ahead and run SDR on the radio, or use SDR with the PC using the PC screen, or an iPad with SDR for IOS.  Is that wrong?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I find it depends on what I have last done - if I used the front panel last, it boots right in to the radio front panel. If I used the computer last, it waits for me to decide.
  • joe francalanza
    joe francalanza Member
    edited October 2019
    How can I skip the update when starting
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    just bought the 6600m so after 2 years still looks like this issue has not been resolved? 
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    i always have to select not sure why its even needed if we want to switch versions we know where to go to do it, why does it have to prompt every time you start the thing!
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    are you saying we just need to save a default profile and it will then boot up in the right version every time?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.