Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SWR going up when I talk to my Heil

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Shack:
Flex-6300
Elecraft Kat500 ( antenna tuner )
Elecraft KPA500 Amplifier

1st
Symptom ...elecraft amplifier didn't amplified  on 20m.....got back to when I changed band....tested with other radio.....everything was good....but with flex no

I unistall SmartSDR....reinstaled.....same

so I decide to run Flex Alone with its ATU

2nd
Symptom   I disconnected and connect flex directly to antenna...SWR going up to 2.5 while I talk to my Heil PR40....

Any Idea?

George

YV5WZ

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Do you have a dummy load that you can try the same test with ? 73
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Just guessing, but it sounds like a problem with your antenna or feed line.  If the high SWR issue can't be resolved by the KAT500, then the KPA500 is folding back.  It sounds like the Flex/ATU are having the same problem and seeing high SWR as well.  Do you have another antenna to try?  A dummy load?

I have the same setup that you do here in my shack.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hey Michael

Sadly, I don't have a Dummy load with me right now. 

What would you think is the problem?

Thanks for caring about my question

George
    YV5WZ
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

My guess would be you have a case of RF feeding into your radio. This is generally caused by poor grounding and/or radiation coming back into the shack from your transmission line. What kind of antenna are your using? If it's a dipole sometimes using a BALUN at the feed point will help, if you are using a vertical perhaps you have a poor ground or radial system.

Jim, K6QE

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Steve!

When I perform tune with KAT500....Shows 1.2
    KAP500 Show 1.0

but  Flex display 1.5 SWR

When I begin to speak....KAT beging to autotune.....It get tune
    How ever flex shows 1.5 - 1.6 swr on screen

When I test 6300 alone ( not KAT not KPA )....and after perform autotune with Fkex ATU...swr shows peak with my voice

I haven't note this before......I did just one change ...and it was to add FreeDv Software

Soft reset was done....hard reset was done......

Same

George 
    YV5WZ

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hello Jim

Thanks for your care about my question

My antenna is a Hustler 6BTV
    and it has a RF choke designed by DXengineering 
    and more than 60 radials

It has been up since 2 years now... I did a check about a month ago
    problems begun today....
    although....I was concern about RF cause I don't have grounding my shack

Any ideas to fight RF?

Thanks

George
    YV5WZ

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I would start with a dummy load.  In a pinch, a 100-watt or greater incandescent light bulb will work for you to tune 25 watts or so and see what's going on.  Solder a PL239 connector onto it.   If you don't have any problem with the dummy load, look toward the antenna.

Jim is right about the RF.  Of course, that's also symptomatic of high SWR or a bad ground connection.   RF can cause crazy, inconsistent things to happen.

Did you try hitting the manual tune button on the KAT500?  I would try tuning in the TUNE mode or using CW to tune the rig.  The power is going to fluctuate using SSB.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks again Steve

I will tray to find a dummy load tomorrow, someone borrowed mine....and never see it again

About tune button ..Yes I did....and I got 1.2 SWR...while Flex showed 1.6 SWR
    That drove me crazy
    Now I'm moving Speakers away from Flex....
    Antenna should be change ...probably a Hexbean.....however I´m in love with SteppIr

Thanks again...

George

YV5WZ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Definitely sounds like an RFI problem

Suggest you read may paper on How to build a quiet station

https://db.tt/BqC53jCw

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hello Elmer....Thanks for your care about my problem

I don't understand what happened...I didn't have this problem yesterday

You left a link but...it takes me to Modern Radios SDR-101....  Is that one?

Thanks again

George
    YV5WZ

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Try this link

https://db.tt/xG8SOiRI

It is quite possible that something moved physically or some connection suddenly had a cold soldered connection that acted as a source of RFI...

Over the years, I have found Heil mikes as a result of low quality production (I suspect because Hams are cheap and want inexpensive things) to be a source of cold soldered joints which can result in RFI getting into the radio...

Can you test to see if you have the same issue when you use a different mike.

If the problem only occurs with your Heil mike then likely you have an issue with the Mike or the mike cable...
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hey Elmer

I read all your paper....wow!....you did excellent job ...
    I tried to follow your suggestions ( its sunday )....and some of then are not to easy to buy today (Ferrites)

I checked the mic....and back to flex original mic and its the same...so I guess cable and microphone are all right....I grounded Flex, KAT and KPA to same point...not best I would like....but Its grounded...
    and no change

I climbed up to roof to check antenna ..and found some radials were pulled out ( probably DirecTV technician)....I repaired.....no change...

I rebuilt and change all R58 cables --make them really shorter......and  no change..

move away Bose Companion II speakers......No change...

By the way Elmer, in your Paper (how to built a quiet station) I saw MFJ-931 artificial ground...does it really works?....I'm not really a MFJ fan, cause  I concern about quality of that brand.....do you know the product?

Thank again....Its always good hear about your advises

George
    YV5WZ

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    While MJF quality is not the best, I have used the MFJ-931 from apartments 60M above the ground with great success.  I have heard from others who have had similar positive experiences

It sounds like you need to start using some Ferrites..

The rule i use is that you can never have too many ferrites 

Howard
    KY6LA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.