Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Swap Slice 'A' & 'B, or other slices with 'A'

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

Lifted from my recent "Praise" post...

Operating more contests, and beginning to utilize multiple slices and panadapters, It has become clear that I need a quick way to "Swap" other slices into the A position so that my logging program will pick up the frequency & mode, etc.  As it is, if I find a multiplier on slice B in the same band, or in another panadapter, I can go ahead and work the station, but then I need to edit the log entry and enter the correct band, mode and frequency. 

I would suggest allowing the center knob of the Flex Control  Knob to be programmed to SWAP the slices, and also have a button somewhere easily accessible, perhaps in the RX Panel...(But that is already pretty crowded.)

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oops... By "Center Knob" on the Flex Control, I meant "Center Button" or AUX2, not the Tuning Knob.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I would like to be able to "drag" the slice letter A-G and drop it on another slice. The two slices would then swap settings.

I am not opposed to having a button for this as well, but the drag and drop is more intuitive for me.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like the Drag and drop feature also, but there are times that there are just too many hand/eye motions involved in grabbing the mouse, finding the exact place to click and drag, and getting back to the keyboard.  This is one reason that I LOVED the Hercules DJ Controller on my 1500, I had the best of both worlds.  Sometimes a mouse drag is too difficult to get a precise adjustment when a simple turn of a knob lets me get exact figures on mike gain, AGC, Power, etc.  The mouse takes much longer to get the same precision.  At lease my clumsy **** fingers do!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Keyboard shortcuts would also be pretty handy for stuff like this.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Keyboard shortcuts are almost always more efficient than the mouse.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Even better, why can't the slice that has focus be the one from which the data is extracted?  If the transmit and receive are split, then the appropriate data pulled from each of them.   This seems to work fine with other rig software, so I'm not sure why it shouldn't be solveable in SmartCAT or SSDR.  For those of us who want to do serious contesting or DXing with the rig, the logging interface needs to be able to keep up with us rather than have us slow down to keep pace with the software!  
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have the same issue.  the N1MM logging program only logs slice A...and I suspect others are the same.  If I can make my active slice "A", the logging program correctly logs the contact.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Doesn't it make the most sense for slice A to remain associated with logging program vfoA and slice B-G (whichever has focus) get assigned to vfoB with keyboard shortcut or FlexControl knob button push?  If you're running, you don't want to ever lose vfoA.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Can be helpful follow - to set a shortcut for all slices - "Swap with Active slice" with further flashing,  this is may be a solution for contesters and DX's
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited May 2018
    The only thing a logging program is interested in is where you were last transmitting. I think from a work-flow point of view it makes sense to log the active slice.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well, true, i mean in case press "Swap" you temporary active slice should name as "A", and SmartCat will distribute a right Freq to the Log. Swap key should flash to set additional attention !
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you're running on slice A/vfoA and scanning slice B for multipliers at the same time, you want to work those mults on vfoB.  You don't want to mess with changing and potentiall losing your run frequency in vfoA. 
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Generally, maybe.  Sometimes, however, when working split, you're also interested in the RX frequency, especially when spotting a DXpedition's QSX on the cluster.  This is usually handled by the logging software.  So, I'd say active slice plus split if that is being employed.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Barry , well, today independently with number of the PAN's in case of the available LOG SW we should define names of the our slices as VFO A / VFO B ex. into CATSDR i think, i do not see any other way around untill LOG SW will not be updated with SSDR/CATSDR capability
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Welcome to he group Ken.  I asked for a button on the flexcontrol knob to toggle which slice was TX A several months ago....  Asked Steve at DDUtil about this and I think he is incorporating into next release?
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

BTW, i am  using apps from Paul RN3A which successfully substitue for me CAT SDR and DDUtil (Passive listener function) and have VFO A / VFO B soltuion, i guess Paul will implement "Swap" button soonest.

• Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    if your running a contest you have 3 or 4 slice up how do you enter a contact on slice b c d e  , it puts in only slice a is there a loger that will work right tell me i will get it
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    yes i like that the only slice that should be logged  is the active slice
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Robert,

I would prefer a button or perhaps a 'right-click' on the slice letter and a SWAP with A selection would be very intuitive.

Mike

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If we're still putting our vote in to FRS, it would save us all problems with all our different Logging programs if FRS would make VFO-A what ever slice is TX....  That would enter the correct band, frequency and mode into my QSO window....  I could then double click spots and the logging program would always get the correct info....

So, what say you FRS?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That could cause other problems, especially when working splits. Spotted stations would be spotted on their listening frequency, not their transmitting frequency, fouling up the DX spotting network.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No, not true, If running split putting QSX freq to VFO-B, the correct band, mode and freq gets logged.  If using XIT, the TX VFO still logs the correct freq, mode and band...  In DX4WIN if I click on a spot with QSX freq, it currently sends VFOA and B to the two frequencies and makes VFO-B the TX slice, and all works again....

I guess I'm not seeing the problem?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It would be great to get this simple feature in SmartSDR.
    Reviving this old thread....
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Given the time that has passed, I suspect this feature wasn't deemed important.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    This feature has been a part of FRStack for a long time. You can swap slices via the UI or assign a global hockey to perform the swap.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.