Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Support ultimatic keying in addition to iambic A & B

LB6B
LB6B Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I am currently using an external K1EL winkeyer with my 6700. The reason is that I believe the built in keyer only supports iambic A & B while my brain is programmed to use the ULTIMATIC keyer mode. The support for this is ready and built into the K1EL chip as well as a lot of other modern keyers and I would REALLY like to see this as an option on the 6x00 radios too.
Thank you!

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I would also like CW Weight adjustment.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK, I'll bite. Please explain Ultimatic keying and how it differs from Iambic A or B.
  • LB6B
    LB6B Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Slightly more efficient, once it is in your fingers and brain it is hard to go back to iambic. Saves an external keyer - and we all like options.

Not sure what keyer chip that is in the 6x00 but ultimatic is supported/built into the most modern keyers. Among others the probably most popular keyer chip winkeyer/K1EL.

Here is a good description on how it works and differs:
    http://la3za.blogspot.no/2013/05/is-ultimatic-morse-keyer-really-that.html

Thank you!
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It's a neat keying mode, but like iambic A and B, once you start using it, it's almost impossible to switch to another keying format.  In a similar way, from the moment we start writing with our right or left hands, the majority of us cannot easily switch to the less dominant hand.  

Ultimatic is significantly different.  For example, if you're used to squeezing both left and right paddles to form the letter "C," Ultimatic responds with the letter "D ."  It's probably a rare person who can "switch hit" between iambic and Ultimatic modes.  After 40+ years of using several Iambic B variants, my brain would never adapt to Ultimatic.  Even if I could, I would be afraid that if I didn't like it in the long run, that moving back to Iambic would also be a problem.

The problem with adding more features to an internal keyer is that there are a bewildering number of options.  Just look at the K1EL or Idiom keyer feature list and you'll see what I mean. 

I like auto-space of the kind offered in the Accukeyer design from the '70s.  K1EL's keyer chips have auto-space but they don't emulate the Accukeyer, nor the Super CMOS modes that are more predictable than K1EL's auto-space feature.

Paul, W9AC
  • LB6B
    LB6B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    After 40+ years of using several Iambic B variants, my brain would never adapt to Ultimatic.
    True, and this is the essence of the request. It works the oppostite way as well - hence leaving the built in keyer useless for anyones brain adapted to Ultimatic.
    If the built in chip already has the support for Ultimatic it would be great to have this option - alongside iambic A/B. It will make me and others able to use the built in keyer.

I am living in hope. Thanks again!

IB - LB6B
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I only barely remember those early articles from the days when I hated CW with a passion and usually ignored stuff like that. But with a purely software interface it seems like it would be an easy and worthwhile option down the road. I would like to see it offered. It might even sell a few more rigs, since it seems that no one else is offering it. But then there are those famous last words of software developers ... "Sure, it's only a few lines of code!" I have no idea how much trouble it really would be!
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Switch to a single lever paddle.  It is FAR less prone to errors because it has less degrees of movement freedom and you will not be a **** to any "mode" or paddle.  You can sit down at any field day 40M table and look like a CW wizard.   Of all the high speed ops I know (cfo types), not one uses an iambic paddle.  Many now use keyboards.  My favorite SL paddle is from N3ZN

73  W9OY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.