Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Support for 1.x after 2.x is released.

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I believe that v2.x will require purchase, but what about the fixes for issues in v1.x like the fixes for COM port issues promised "in the next release"?  Will fixes still be provided for v1.x?  It doesn't seem right to make people upgrade to V2 just to get fixes when they don't need/want the new features they just want v1.x to work properly.  

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Read the official Upgrade statement on the SmartSDR product web page.  It will answer your questions.  Click on the Upgrade tab.  http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr/

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK, so these bullets: 
    • Each major version of SmartSDR comes with free updates and maintenance releases for the life of that major release.
    • After a new major version of SmartSDR is released, maintenance releases for earlier versions will be provided free of charge on an as needed basis.
    effectively say that v1.x COM port issues will be fixed if you think the fix is needed.  I'm not sure what "the life of that major release" is - until the next major release/version I think.  I guess you're using "version" and "release" interchangeably.  

Given all of the problems with COM ports in 1.x I trust those issues will be fixed in yet another v1.x release because they are "needed" - right?  

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    There is a major version life cycle (for example 1.x) and as long as it has not be designated as end of development, it is eligible for additional fixes after a new major version supercedes it. At some point in the future, after major versions have been released, we will curtail software updates for older versions. It is just part of the product life cycle. Once that designation occurs, you can still use the software, it just won't receive any new software updates. And at some point in the far future, we will have to limit the level of technical support provided because newer major versions will be allocated more technical support resources. This would be the end of life stage of a major versions life cycle. This is not dissimilar In how we manage PowerSDR 1.x support that is at end of life and PowerSDR 2.x that is at end of development.

I really can't comment on the FlexVSP fix specifically until we have the new driver integrated into the software, but I would suspect that the com port in use issue would qualify as a candidate for inclusion in a previous major version maintenance release due to the nature of the issue.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Be interested to see which version they will ship with my 6500 next week?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    Just to clear up any confusion SmartSDR 2.0 will not be released next week. We still have some polish to put on it before it is released to the public. We are just showing one of the major features of the release next week at Hamvention. The software version shipped with a radio is coverd in the link I referenced above.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, the PDF that sparked this thread clearly states SmartSDR 2.X will be released in June which is, you may recall, some time after Hamvention...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.