super wide monitor

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I would imagine with most trying to pair, triple, or quad stack regular 1080P pc monitors now days that some are looking at the newer super wide pc monitors or even the curved super wide or ultra wide pc monitor screens.
Has anyone actually tried one of these and how does the DPI look on small text.  Nice and sharp hopefully? and what size is recommended.  I see some decent buys in the 39 inch range that would replace these 3 monitors I now have in one nice curved monitor at eye level :)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 192 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Got a 55 inch 4k chroma 4:4:4 TV (TCL Roku) and really love it as a computer monitor. Cannot go back to multiple monitors anymore...

Andy
KU7T
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Andy is this the TCL 55S405 or the 55S517 Model?   Any pics to share?
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 192 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Larry, 

its the 55S405.

Here is a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5SiVZg4RtsvKyg63A

Andy
KU7T
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Thanks Andy...  very helpful..  and also the video card info below you provided.
Photo of Laurent Horne

Laurent Horne

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I use seven Samsung 40 inch 4 K tv sets. Three 6700s and a 6600M.160 up to 2 meter EME. At 81 years old it is great to be able to able to keep track of multiple rigs at once. It all works FB. 73 de Larry N2NY
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 280 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Decide for yourself.  Here are pictures on a 55 in Samsung 4K TV running at 4096 x 2160.

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Can you guys send pictures I can zoom in on?   I think I am on the right track!
k1uo at arrl dot com
Anyone using the new style super ultra wide pc monitors?
Photo of Terry Ashland

Terry Ashland

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I assume you have to have a good video adapter to provide higher resolutions or you won't gain anything, The big TV just makes everything is bigger.
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 189 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Yes, you need to have a 4k-capable graphics adapter. I had to pick one up. This one is entry level, but I do not do gaming and for office and ham radio just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Andy
KU7T
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 66 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
As Andy said 4k is critical. The 1080p does not allow good small print while operating when using small windows. Even 1080p needs a video card with sufficient memory. Onboard video drivers eat up a a lot of CPU.

When I started using SmartSDR it was said not much of a computer was needed. Well that is not the case if you use 3rd party software apps like FT8, Chrome, HDMI Video etc. Problem with FT8 is that if CPU hits 100% for a second or less that time slice of 15 seconds doesn’t decode anything.

I was hesitant to get the 4k monitor but finally took the chance. It is much better on multiple windows and text and sizing app windows. To help conserve CPU minimize windows you aren’t using, it reduces CPU.

I didn’t go with the TV but instead went for a 4K monitor. Not all TVs are created equal
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 813 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info....could you share what 4K monitor you went with?
Photo of Logan, KZ6O

Logan, KZ6O

• 31 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I've been down this path and here is what I found.  First, a baseline - I'm 72 and have prescription glasses for computer use so I do have some eyesight limitations and your experience may be different. 

I used a pair of 23 inch Dell Ultra High Resolution Monitors for years.  I replaced them with a Samsung 28 inch UHD 3840 x 2160.  The characters were too small to be easily readable at full resolution so I set Windows scaling to 150%.  This worked but it did not let me use the full capability of the monitor.  Plus, some programs, like JTAlert didn't respond to the scaling and were unusable.  Having everything on a single display surface was helpful and I needed to learn some new techniques about application window placement and sizing.  Although it fell short of my objectives, this monitor was a worthwhile improvement over the old pair of monitors.

Based on the scaling that I needed, I decided that a 40+ inch monitor was needed if I wanted to use the native 4K resolution.  However, this took up more desk space than I had availble and the monitor that I selected was outside my budget.  I could also see that a curved screen would be useful because the display is going to expand into your peripheral vision.

During a recent reconfiguration, I repurposed the 28 inch monitor and replaced it with an LG 34 inch 4k monitor.  I was able to reduce the scaling to 125% and JTAlert is usuable even though it's unscaled.  Eventually, I may be able to use it at full resolution but for now I am satisfied with the performance.  It has some other features like split screen and internal speakers that can be driven from the HDMI & DisplayPort.  Software is provided to support these features.

Picture on the way....

Logan, KZ6O

Photo of sky

sky

• 43 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Very large monitors cause eye fatigue as you are constantly moving your eyes to cover all the large viewing real estate.
Photo of John - AF3K

John - AF3K

• 120 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
This thread prompted me to hook up a 55 inch 4k TV I have in the shack (normally displaying the Geochron) to the PC running SmartSDR for Windows.  What I found (as you guys you already know) is that the 4k TV with 4096 x 2160 pixels, displays SmartSDR for Windows and other apps with good detail, and 48 x 28 inches of screen real estate enables keeping everything in view simultaneously. 

It's a fun demo, but I still prefer using multiple, side-by-side 24 inch monitors @ 1920 x 1080 each.  That provides better resolution and they can be placed at eye level.

BTW - For those wondering about laptop performance with SmartSDR, I found the Lenovo X1 Carbon (not cheap, but on sale at Costco) is able to process multiple instances of SmartSDR, WSJT-X and CW Skimmer while driving the 4K display via the HDMI port.