Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Suggestions for reliable approach to extend USB cables

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
To be able to connect Antenna Genius to My 6700 In my remote set up I need USB cables longer than 5-7 m (15 - 21 felet). There are different solutions like USB to LAN extenders, USB cables Up to 35 feet with built in extenders etc. Anyone have experience what is reliable to use? RFI insensitive? Cheapest is the latter solution.

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Why not control it over the LAN?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Kari

Isn't the Antenna Genius LAN based and not USB based or am I missing something?

Mike 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It will do both LAN and BCD Mike.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Right.  I never think about BCD anymore since Noah stopped using it!  LOL  (ok, no flames, I'm joking).  
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I am curious why Kari wants to use bit cables rather than lan control for remote.. however there are some issues with it like trying to control it from 2 computers can crash it sometimes.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi!
    I forgot to say that I run a remote contest station and I use no PC at remote radio site. PC at remote site with occasional power failures and routers not allowing WOL commands make life so my easier and more reliable. 
    This only gives me the option of using USB to BCD decoding for the band data for the Antenna Genius. I have tried VPN to connect to the Antenna Genius (AG) (and come on the same remote LAN as the AG) and that works so so. Quite often AG connects but it does not show any antennas connected per slice of the 6700. Multiple connects form other PCs with the Windows application for the AG over VPN usually solves it but it is time consuming, I do not why it is so.  
    So this is why the option with long USB cables from 6700 to AG could be more reliable, perhaps.I need som 25-30 feet of cables due to the long distance between the 6700 and AG. 
    I hope this clarifies my wondering :) Sorry if I omitted this part. 
    73s Kari SM0HRP 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.