Stuck in update mode

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Tried to update my 6600M to 2.4.9 and it never completed the display just showed the 2 s meters and the power button was solid purple. Went back and tried to reload 2.3.9 and having the same problem
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 285 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Power it down, REMOVE POWER, power up again,, That fixed my issue, a bit different then your situation,, 

Rbert
Photo of Win Grant

Win Grant

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had the same issue.  Update installation appeared normal.  When it "finished" radio had a partial display, none of the knobs or buttons did anything, power light was stuck on solid purple and it would not power off using the power button.  Hesitant to simply turn off the 12v supply, I had no choice.   I turned off the 12v power supply, let it sit for 10 minutes with no power.  When I powered up, everything appears to be working ok, and the 2.4.9 software is showing as installed.  Although my profiles are backed up, they were still retained in the radio.  No need to restore them.  
Photo of FRED  W9TB

FRED W9TB

• 141 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Had the same issue. After turning off power supply and restarting all is OK.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1039 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
I had problems as well. I thought it was related to another issue I am having not getting a DHCP address. I did the power down and when it came back up it eventually went back to the purple update again. Working fine now.
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I also hesitated to just remove the power but did and it came up OK. Thanks!
Photo of Andy M5ZAP

Andy M5ZAP

• 164 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I also had the same update issue on a 6600M with a Purple solid button. I had to remove the power and everything appears Ok. Not sure if I’m imagining it but seems to take longer to boot up on the new software.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 807 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
ATTENTION "REMOTE: update installers:   If using Teamviewer to update your remote radio, I would suggest you have a method in place at the remote to temporarily remove the 12V power source to the Radio.  Otherwise your update will show at 100% but never complete .   I found it necessary to remove the external power for about 30 secs and then restore to get the radio back on line.    Otherwise the update was 100% successful and fully operational on Ver 2.4.9 after this "procedure".
YMMV
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 807 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Forgot to mention this was on a 6600 radio.
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 285 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
This is my 3rd upgrade since I got my Flex 6600M 6 months ago. In each case the upgrade did not appear to finish 100%.. Had to hit OK to a few error messages along the way... Once it was stuck in the Loading Mode, I powered off the radio, killed DC power, and powered it all back up..

It came up in the Connect screen showing the new software version, touched it, and everything returned to normal on 20 and 40 meters as it was before the upgrade. I then powered the radio down, powered it back up and it went right to the main Slice screens..

I have accepted that for whatever reason this process is required for my radio... Now Tim from Flex is reading all of this, so it may be something in the software load that causes this to happen... BTW, loaded the software on my Laptop, and it loaded fine and I was able to take remote control of the 6600M... 

Robert   WA6PHN
Photo of Bob Meeker

Bob Meeker

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
KA4SNM

I had the same purple light w/"Please wait..." continuing for an hour or so.  I finally decided to remove 12v power after having no response from the power button.  That seems to have corrected the problem.  I'm wondering why so many of us had the same or near same problem when updating to 2.4.9 firmware.  Why wasn't the anomaly caught and corrected during FLEX in house upgrade testing prior to sending it out to customers!?!?!?!?  I had already sent my 6600m back for a memory FOB/stick failure last month and getting the dreaded flashing 3 red light thingy while upgrading when I 1st received it!  I guess all's well that ends well tho......   Frustration was at MAX to be perfectly honest tho.....

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1282 Posts
  • 656 Reply Likes
These reports are really helpful.

The test team did NOT have these hangups upgrading.

The pounding these testers put their gear and software through is unrelenting.

But the hang some people have upgrading is real, wasn’t isolated in testing, and certainly FRS will be on it.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Bob Meeker

Bob Meeker

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for responding and catching the brunt of my frustration.  FLEX is still the best radio on the market!
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also had the same issue updating my 6400M, resolved the issue by removing power connections  for 3-4 min. and repowered  to normal operation.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 185 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I did the V2.4.9 update to my 6600M..

Did have purple light stay on but only for about 2 minutes.

Did see and error message for DAX that cleared when touched OK.

The radio then started up normally.  No power OFF performed.

Then did WIN ssdr in windoze VM.   No issues for this install.
Connected to  the 6600m via win ssdr.   

Operated as usual.

Have not had a chance to test DAX over SmartLink...yet.

Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 285 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
This update came out this morning, so I think a LOT of folks have not come home from work to do this,,I am sure Flex will dive into this a bit more..
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4015 Posts
  • 1241 Reply Likes
Reminder:

As a rule, it is always good practice to do a power-off cold start of your rig after updating the software, regardless of whether you have the purple light freeze or not.  This make sure that all of the several processors in the rig reboot properly after they have all been updated.

So if you are operating remotely and updating via Teamviewer, remote desktop, Parallels Access, etc., you should have a way not only to switch the RCA "remote control" port, but also to cycle the power to the rig.  One of the easiest ways is to use a WiMo, NEO, or other remote AC switch.  I am currently testing this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DW3NRW7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is about $31 and has four independently switched AC outlets, in addition to a bank of USB charging outputs.

I am testing its reliability using other devices before I put it in charge of my computer, rig, power supply, and antenna switch supply.  If it does well, it will be a great addition to my remote control options.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 266 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Did everyone forget to read the release notes!

"Cold boot the radio after upgrading to SmartSDR v2.4.9: A “cold boot” is accomplished by shutting down the radio and then removing DC power from it momentarily. This process is covered in detail in the Best Practices for Installing / Uninstalling SmartSDR v2 section but is added here for emphasis. There are several internal processor subsystems that may be upgraded by SmartSDR v2.4.9 and it is imperative that they all restart properly after the upgrade."
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 78 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I can't believe you would suggest Ham's don't read the manual first. Har Har.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1039 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
I have been struggling to find the release notes honestly.  I went back and read Tim's post about the new features.

That said if a power off is required when the radio appears to be hung, there should be a message or something that says that.
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 285 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Re-booting a laptop computer after a software update is not foreign to most of us!!  But when you are updating the radio, it never goes into a normal mode, it just locks up or freezes as most have stated here.. 
Sort of like updating a Windows 10 computer and you get a blue screen during the process, not good, not normal..

Many of us have other radio that take software updates normally.. Yes, re-booting the Flex after the software loads is a good procedure as outlined, it just never gets to that point forcing removal of DC power..

Robert
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exactly
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2963 Posts
  • 642 Reply Likes
I have never had this problem here,,but at least I know what to do in case it did. Any time the radio fails to upgrade, simply pull the power and restart to allow it to continue. No damage will be done by this.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1039 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
I don't think you can compare this to a computer software update.  You can brick hardware during an update so nobody wants to pull the plug prematurely. The Flex updates are software and hardware.

I personally was hesitant to do it so I gave it extra time.
Photo of John - AF3K

John - AF3K

• 120 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I had the same purple light hang problem with 6600M.  Unplugging/replugging the power supply seems to have worked.  (Immediately prior to doing the upgrade I turned on the 6600M intending to operate it from just the front panel - and it hung)
Photo of W8WD

W8WD

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I did a cold boot on my 6600M before starting the update and everything worked fine during the upgrade process (no hanging). The radio came up with the proper screen when finished. I did another cold boot after the update and have not experienced any issues yet. I don't know if there is any significance but my case the router sets a fixed IP address based on the radio MAC address.

Brian/W8WD