Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange Audio from the FLEX 6500

W4EY
W4EY Member
edited November 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Had to open this issue again because it had been previously closed. After determining that the initial problem was due to the issues on the desktop it seem that the problem had been resolved. However, I installed an NEW Desktop which had not been on the network and attempted to run Digital mode on the FLEX,. The audio was not heard until after about one half hour of operating on digital. When using Digital, CW and USB with the FLEX everything works correctly as long as I am not on 14.070.00 +- 5khz. The Female voice started again after about 30 minutes of operating on 20 meters Digital segment. The voice was very random and only between 14.069.500 and 14.070.000. The voice could be heard after setting the FLEX to USB, DIGIU, or AM on this frequency. "The Station Calling CQ in the Secret Browser" had to be generated by the FLEX. I have determined this due to a New Computer which had never been on this network connected directly to the FLEX. The antenna was disconnected from the FLEX and the voice stopped. I checked all the harmonics of 14.070.000 and did not hear this voice. What is confusing is that the voice makes reference to "The Station Calling CQ..." No virus or malware could determine what to say in reference to Calling "CQ" FLEX Please advise. "I AM HEARING VOICES AGAIN"

Answers

• W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    The audio is only heard when operating on 14.070.00.+-5khz . Trying to determine where this audio was being generated, I operated the Flex on all other bands and modes. The second time, before I reported the problem, I checked the FLEX using CW, USB, and DIGITAL on each segment across the 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands. Each check on these bands was using the same Computer, Navigator, antenna and FLEX 6500. All that was changed was the band and Auto ATU adjusted. When operating USB, CW or Digital, I received no audio on any bands or modes except the Digital frequency and mode listed above. The Smart SDR and SmartCAT are set to Com4 for 3rd party software, Com5 Shared, Com 6 Dedicated and Com 7 for PTT (RTS). The Navigator is set to Com 10 for CAT, Com 11 for PTT Com 13 for Navigator configuration, WinKey Com 20 and Com21 for FSK. The FLEX will key the Navigator using DM-870 port Com 11 for PTT. HRD is set to connect to the FLEX via Com 4. I disconnected the Navigator from the FLEX ACC Port and computer USB Port. Restarted/rebooted the systems. With nothing connected to the FLEX except the Antenna, I still get the Audio when tuning to the 20 Meter Digital frequency 14.070.00. The only change has been the upgrade two weeks with SmartSDR and SmartCAT. Prior to this There was no audio detected since I am usually setting the FLEX to 14.070.000 beginning of the Digital segment on 20 meters. I use DM870 to tune across the Digital Segment for contacts. Hope this helps...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Do you have the RF Preamp turned on?
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    You're likely hearing announcements from Ham Radio Deluxe of the type, "Station Calling CQ in the SuperBrowser." If you have the supersweeper running, the default is to sound the alarms. Open DM780, go to SuperSweeper, Alamrs and turn them off and I'll bet your voices will go away. Or **** DM780 altogether, but PSK31 is probably why you're tuning to 14.070 in the first place! Your post sounds cogent, so I don't think you're going nuts any more than the rest of us! Best luck and 73, Mickey N4MB
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I find this quite confusing. Are you saying you are using the DM870 media processor, an audio/video processor combined with WiFi, or are you using DM780, a software package to translate digital data that is supplied with Ham Radio Deluxe? If you're using the media processor, I have no idea how that would all fit together. If you're using the software that translates digital signals such as PSK-31 then the audio you hear is the voice report that DM780 software provides when it encounters certain information such as a CQ. These are set through the alarms options and the sounds are played through the "default soundcard." Though I have not tested this a reasonable hypothesis is that alarms are set that are being triggered for CQ; such alarms are defaults when you install the program. Then the "default soundcard" is set to the interface you are using to an audio input on the Flex 6500. Under these conditions rather than the voice advising you a CQ is being received coming out of your computer's speaker it goes through the 6500. Review the DM-780 manual on this configuration. We're having so much fun with the seemingly endless flexibility of Flex and associated programs, but the wealth of options makes it very easy to run into strange and unexpected anomalies. Oh for the days of my crystal controlled Heath AT-1 on CW. Another world. HI HI -- Jim, W5HFS
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    You stated that " The antenna was disconnected from the FLEX and the voice stopped. " This tells me that you have no problem but someone else is transmitting a voice audio on 14.070... Some one is playing games.. ignore it... AL, K0VM
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited October 2013
    I concur, it's the Alarms in the SuperSweeper (or SuperBrowser depending on what version one uses). I deleted a previous post where disabling RSID will also disable another voice alert within DM780 but I think you hit the nail on the head.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I hear what you're saying Al, but there are no games here. We've narrowed it down to configuration of the "default soundcard." Reconfiguring it to a device that will play through the computer's speakers instead of taking a circuitous path through the 6500 will fix the problem. Disconnecting the antenna probably changed something else shutting off that path. Now if someone will figure out why DM780 produces multiple copies of received digital signals in the SuperSweeper. --Jim, W5HFS
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Tim: I spoke with another HAM about this issue. He stated that it was some software that was causing this issue. He had a similar issue with a background voice on his computer. I monitored the radio for over an hour to see if the audio was stating something other than the previous message. I picked up a short audio referencing an expiration Sept 26th. This prompted me to Uninstall each individual software application that involved HAM radio. The first one was the HRD-DM780 suite. A follow on check of the radio still provided the audio without HRD. Next was the Navigator software. I rebooted all equipment after each uninstall of the software. After each uninstall, I ran a Register editor and cleaned up the register. The result was when I removed the Navigator software and restarted the equipment there was. NO MORE AUDIO with this statement coming from the speakers. After removing the Navigator software. I tested the FLEX on USB, CW and all bands without getting any audio. I have run the FLEX, with the latest version of HRD and DM870 interfaced with the Navigator and so far no problems with the background audio. The latest Navigator software was downloaded from their WEB and installed for Win 8.. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was the problem,. I will be satisfied after several hours operating tomorrow. Thanks all for this assistance and the item can be closed.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    It appears that the problem was being generated from another device on my network. I had a Network 5Tb backup drive that had an image of an old desktop hard drive in one of the backup drive partitions. This network backup drive was partitioned where weekly backups were made by my backup software running on the networked computers. This network drive had a Partition with files from an old desktop hard drive from a computer that had been replaced. When I removed the network drive, the voice from the radio stopped. I have been running the FLEX on all modes and bands since yesterday. I Replaced the Network Backup drive with a new drive. I will connect to another network (Not on the FLEX) and inspect the files on this drive. This is a lesson to be learned. Although we take all measures to backup and secure our network, there is always something that lets Gremlins in. Thanks to all.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.