Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange Audio "Female" voice coming from FLEX speakers

W4EY
W4EY Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This just started this evening. I was operating HRD/DM870 on PSK-31 with the FLEX 6500 tuned to 14.070.00 Not sending any Digital, only receiving I started to hear a Female Voice in the background of the radio speakers. The voice was very faint, however, I could understand that She was stating that "The Station Calling CQ in the Secret Browser". This audio is heard in USB, and/or DIGL/U on 14.070.00 +/- 1 KHz. This was heard at different time intervals. It was continuous. This voice was present with only SmartSDR and the Radio tuned on this frequency. Every connection to the Radio, was shut down, and all equipment including the Radio was restarted. I continued to hear this Audio when No other application such as HDR was running. The FLEX is interfaced through the ACC to a Navigator. FLEX SmartSDR v1.0 and SmartSDR CAT is running on the FLEX. This background voice just started. I had been using the FLEX and this setup for over a month with no issues. "I AM HEARING VOICES"

Answers

• Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    No. You are not crazy. DM780 has an option that provides voice announcements on certain events. If it's turned on I hear it through my ordinary computer speaker. It's not clear why you would hear it in the speakers connected to the Flex, but there is probably some sort of interconnection. Check the SuperSweeper options in DM780 for this option. I was about to post another strange observation with DM780 on 14.070 PSK-31. I am seeing multiple ribbons of the same transmissions when in SuperSweeper. The are appearing at different frequencies within the passband, but I can't find a consistent pattern such as the same distance apart for different signals. I don't recall seeing this with earlier versions of the Flex software. I'll post this as a distinct matter.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Jim: I have seen that same multiple ribbons with DM 870. Makes a signal look very distorted. They appear at even distribution across the waterfall. When I saw this multiple ribbon on a digital signal, I shut down DM 870 and started FlDigi. Moving the waterfall across the Digital display and found, No such multiple ribbon signal present. That leaves the issue with DM 870 version 6. However, the voices that I continue to hear are present when HRD and DM 870 are not running. Several days previously, I continued to see a very strong carrier on the FLEX display at 14.070.00. The signal was strong enough to peak above all other 20 meter signals. Also, I rebooted the computer, Flex, and restarted SMARTSDR. Tuning he radio to 14.070.00 using USB, or Digital, the voice randomly appears. What is real confusing is that I have only received this voice when running the FLEX. It is too early for "Trick or Treat". My next test is with my laptop running the FLEX. Bill
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I am asking Harvey and his Pooka about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_(film) OR has the DM780 voice invaded the Flex FPGA firmware? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Jim: I run a Home network with extensive security software. My computer is scanned daily for virus's, Malware, and WEB intrusions. I feel that this issue of the Voice is something outside the computer. I will use my LapTop to run the FLEX through my Home network wireless and see if this issue is still there. My systems run ESET security software and have been scanned to be free of any issues. I opened the sound settings on the computer to see if I could monitor the audio when the voice was present. There appeared to be on audio shown on the sound monitoring from the Navigator sound/mic inputs.. "Guess I need to get my Halloween Candy ready"
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Is it possible that you are running the "preview" version of VAC? I understand that a female voice is superimposed on the audio stream to "encourage" payment of the $30 fee (or whatever it is now) for the software product.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I just realized that you are using a 6700, so maybe someone else is running the preview version of VAC and transmitting the unidentified voice. I have not tested it, but I assume that the superimposed voice is present on both receive and transmit. I am working on my second cup of coffee as I type, so perhaps I will come-up with some other possibilities once it "does its thing".
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    ED: I am not using any type of VAC. The only software installed on this computer is SmartSDR v1.0 and SmartCAT. It is configured COM4 for 3rd Party Software, Com 5 Shared, Com 6 Dedicated, and Com 7 PTT(RTS). HRD Software is set to Start with Com 4. The PTT is keyed by the Navigator and DM870 is set to Com 11. Navigator COM 10 is CAT, Com 11 is PTT, COM 12 is RS232 Port, Com 13 is Nav Config, Com 20 is Nav Winkey and COm21 is Nav FSK. When I have no application running and turn the FLEX on, after it goes through the configuration, the FLEX goes into the PTT Status. Noted by the relay sounds when it is setting up and an external Amp keyer Key LED. The Amp Keyer is used to isolate the FLEX from my AMP. When the FLEX is keyed by the PTT or VOX, the Amp Keyer will display the Keyed LED.. I disconnected the Navigator from the FLEX ACC terminal and noticed that the FLEX goes through its configuration cycle normal. All these issues started after installing the new FLEX v1.0. All indications are that the Navigator and the setup is causing some of these issues. I will leave it disconnected and continue to run test.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Keep us informed regarding your progress...interesting problem, but one in which I am sure you would like a quick resolution!
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Maybe if you can post a recording of it, then someone will recognize the voice.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Do you still have the voice is you deselect from an active antenna ? AL, K0Vm
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2020
    Al: Thanks for the TIP. I should have disconnected the antenna to start. Since the Audio was seen on the FLEX received trace it appeared to be from outside source. However, the issue has now been fixed. I pulled up the system register to see what had been changed over the past two weeks. The only change was the installation of the new FlDigi 3.21.76. FlDigi had not been previously installed on this computer. I was only using HRD and DM780 for digital modes. FlDIGI was removed (uninstalled) from the system. A deep scan was made on the system to determine if there was any virus or malware that had escaped past my security system. I found a file with reference to voices@yahoo.com. Cannot determine how this was installed on this computer because I do not use yahoo or any other engine other than the Verizon VIOS links. All indicents of this file was removed from the computer. After a complete reboot of all the network systems, SmartSDR and the FLEX were restarted. NO MORE VOICES on 14.070.00. Must have been something downloaded with the FlDigi application from their home page that my system picked up. Thanks to all for their help and suggestions. Happy, Happy, Happy
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    On Previous notes. I also discovered a virus named "Cookie.2o7" which had been installed with the link "voices@yahoo.com". My previous version of Norton did not discover or detect this virus. It was discovered with BitDefender Internet scanners.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good! Now we can cancel the exorcism ceremony!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.