Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange setup for FT8 (2.1.0) and SSDR 2.5.1 Have to select IQ Audio

Dennis Terry W4SG
Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
I am seeing a strange requirement for the audio setup of FT8 after upgrading to SSDR 2.5.1 and WSJT-X 2.1.0 rc7.  On the Audio setup page in order to get audio to the FT8 application I have to select as input the IQ version of RX 1.  On the only active slice nothing is selected for IQ and I have DAX channel 1 selected.  The same applies if I change to DAX channel 2 on slice A then I have to select the IQ version of RX 2.  
This all used to work before upgrading.  Has anyone experienced this? 
TNX in advance, 

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think you will find this is because your audio devices have been renamed by a recent windows 10 update.  This is what they should look like in the control panel.

• Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Larry, Mine do not look like that at all. Only the IQ version has any of the sound bars active.  I think my best bet is to remove and reload the DAX drivers and see what happens.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    There is a process to correct your problem, I have never had to do it but others have. Do a search or maybe someone else has a link to the info, I think it is on the flex support pages some place.
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited July 2019
    Completely uninstalled SDR  after using Tim's procedure and re-installed it.  Did WSJT-X also for good measure.  I must have had 8 copies of each DAX & IQ devices on my PC.  What a pain.

Thanks for your info.

• Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited July 2019
    I have my setup now running after a few uninstalls and re-installs but am confused as to what I must be doing to cause my PC to have a multitude of hidden DAX devices.  I followed Tim's procedure to remove and re-install DAX drivers and finally used his full removal procedure to remove SmartSDR.  After that there were at least 8 copies of hidden DAX devices that I had to remove.  Literally 8 of each device.  
    Does anyone have an idea about what causes these hidden devices?
    TNX, 73 Dennis W4SG
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Dennis
    Ghosted/Hidden devices, are caused by installing a Virtual/Software device, without having first removed the previous instance of a Virtual/Software device. Just uninstalling DAX won't, (may not) get the job done completely. Every time you rerun the DAX installer Windows will just create a new COPY of that Virtual/Software device, and ghost/hide the previous device. so you end up having to uninstall the DAX drivers then, you have to manually remove the devices using device manager. when you intend to remove/reinstall SmartSDR, you need to verify using Device Manager that all the DAX and CAT devices are really gone after a reboot, in order to prevent creating Ghosts. I'm in the #Flexradio IRC channel if your still not clear on this, or have any questions. I can also pass along an easier, simpler, better, method of deleting multiple ghosted devices there. Which uses 3rd party software, that Flexradio Systems can't endorse the use of.  

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Jay,  I thought I had checked for any hidden devices after the re-install yesterday.  I noticed the new devices this morning.  I did run FT8 for a while last night but did not check for any hidden devices after I closed it down.  It should not do any creating, just using right?
    What is this simpler, better method?  I understand the Flexradio position and accept that there is no warranty of any kind.
    Dennis 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.