Strange RX behaviour on slice 1 only my Flex-6400

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hi to all,

I am a new user and owner since last May of a FLEX-6400 and Maestro. I having a strange behaviour here with my Flex-6400... seems to be on 20m only.

On 20m band slice 1, I have a strong AM broadcast station just below 20m that seems to have some bad side effects on my reception.

But if I turn on slice 2, I cannot reproduce or even see the same strange behaviour.

My question is, should I see the same strange reception behaviour on both slices ???

See picture...

Thanks for your help.

73 de Jeff | VA2SS
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 564 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
do you have the Pre-AMP on, Pre-AMP's on the lower HF bands actually make things worse and cause overload AND are NOT required at all and shouldn't be used. 
Just something simple to look at.

73's
Bret
WX7Y

Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 120 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Are you using the same settings, receive bandwidths, same antenna, same pre-amp levels etc.
I a have issues with 5th harmonic here with an AM station across the street about 700 feet or so across the street, and see same on both receivers if there set the same they look identical
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, both are identical.... as far as I can check my settings.
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, I’m know. But even with the RF gain set at -8dB.... still have the same issue on slice 1 only.

73 de Jeff | VA2SS
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I found the culprit setting..... If I activate WNB.... even at the lowest value, the behaviour starts.... I can reproduce on both time slots.
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now, even with the RF gain set at maximum, this strange behaviour canot be reproduce. So this is related when using WNB, even at the lowest value.
Photo of Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
So, WNB for on 20m seems to be useless for me. Anybody else could try the same RF test ??
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 82 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
WNB works great on 20m on my 6400. But, you need wide band noise for it to do anything. There are some good posts on this in the community.