Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange MOX behavior

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
MOX is working differently for two different mics.  Here's the setup:

Flex mic and headset mic fed into a switchbox that simply switches the microphone line between the two mics into the radio.  A foot switch is also fed into the switchbox and tied into the PTT line.  

Using the Flex mic (FHM-1), I get audio using its own PTT switch or the foot switch, but NO audio when I use the MOX pushbutton in SmartSDR or in FRStack.  When I switch to the headset mic I get audio using the foot switch AND the MOX pushbutton in SmartSDR and in FRStack.  Both mics feed into the same audio in line in the Foster plug!  

I am NOT pushing the PTT on the Flex mic when trying to use MOX, but the PTT switch is a SPST that uses only NO and C, it's not switching the audio line from the element.  

So why does MOX work when the headset mic is switched in but not when the Flex mic element is switched in?  

BTW.  I'm doing this because the PTT switch in the Flex mic is becoming erratic and as it makes/breaks while talking it's causing a lot of clicking sounds.  I already ordered a replacement Heil mic but just want to know why the Flex mic and headset mic are behaving differently for MOX operation.  

KF5SA

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Which PTT input are you using?  There are three of them on the radio.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I'm using the PTT in the front panel Foster connector.  A line runs from the front panel to my mic switch box, which switches only the audio line between the Flex mic and my headset mic.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    OK.  That is strange.  Do they work correctly if they are directly connected to the Foster connector without the switch box?
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The Flex mic still has no audio using MOX when plugged directly into the 6300 and not pushing its PTT.  The Heil headset DOES have audio when plugged directly in using MOX. 

I made a 1/8" to Foster adapter for the Heil Proset iC that has a 2.2K resistor between pins 2 and 8, and use a Mic profile appropriate for the Icom mic element (bias On).  

Just for completeness, the adapter plug and switch box have pins 5 and 7 grounded.  

Do you have a schematic for the FHM-1?  I can't find one online and am using one for the Yaesu MH-31, which appears to have no connection between the PTT switch and the audio line.  I know some mics switch the audio line also using a double-pole PTT switch but the FHM-1 does not appear to do that.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    OK.  I need to get the materials together to test this.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Tim, I just replaced the FHM-1 with a Heil HMM and it behaves the same way ... no audio using MOX without pushing PTT... BUT if I switch to VOX I get audio without pressing PTT when I talk!  

This seems to rule out any differences due to Mic Profiles.  The Heil Proset iC headset still has audio using MOX.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.