Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange frequency lability in 6700 on 2m bband

Juha Varis
Juha Varis Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Sometimes when I listen to a beacon on 2m, the signal ocillates a couple of Hzs and sometimes not. Sometimes switching off the SDR helps. Not happened on HF so far. This is SK4MPI, 300kms away.
This problem actulaized after the upgrade to 2.4.9. , never with the old SDR software.
Please comment

Juha Varis OH1JJ

oscillates a couple of herzes, but sometimes it does not appear. Not noticed it on HF bands.

Answers

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Juha, I have only a vertical for 2m so don't think I will hear it. Distans probably less than yours. But I will ask a couple of friends in Östersund who has good antennas and equipment to see that the beacon itself doesn't have a problem. Will be tonight, while they both work today.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I believe it's propagation. It might be caused by reflections from a high aircraft near the line of sight. If it does not occur with local signals, it's not a radio problem.

I saw a lot of "interesting" frequency structure on a very distant 2M beacon when I was using a 6700. (The 6700 has higher maximum freq resolution than other Flexes.)

73 Martin AA6E
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    To rule out time-base issues, try synching to a very stable 10 MHz reference (if you have one available) and see if that has an influence.  A few Hz at 2 meters is only a few 1/10 Hz at 20 meters, so you might not see time-base issues at HF.
  • Juha Varis
    Juha Varis Member
    edited February 2019
    Tusen tack Johan
  • Juha Varis
    Juha Varis Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, I suspect that too, beacuse local hams cw signs looked ok during the 2m activity test yesterday
  • Juha Varis
    Juha Varis Member
    edited February 2019
    Could you briefly describe how to do it, Yeas I have very stabile reference equipments
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Juha, friends I had hoped could help are both travelling and not home now. If I could get some answers I will be back here.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Connect a very stable 10 MHz source to the "10MHz In" RCA jack on the back of the radio and restart the 6700.  This will allow the 6700 to use the external 10 MHz source as its frequency reference and bypass the internal time base.  If there is a time base problem, this procedure should isolate it.

Also, please see this community conversation to see if it is similar:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/problem-6700-timebase-drifting-sweeping-maybe-500-h... 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.