Strange behavior of the Tracking Notch Filter (TNF) on the 6300

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I am used to PowerSDR with a Flex 1500, so my expectations of what TNF should do in SmartSDR might be skewed. Nonetheless I will post the Question and find out if you guys can replicate the behavior I am seeing in my 6300.

Basically, regardless of how wide my reception slice (blue) is, when I place a TNF to the right of the reception slice it will cut more from the signal that it is displayed on the screen.

To replicate this find a strong signal and make sure you listening wider that the signal is transmitting. 

In the example above the signal I am receiving on 14.283 is about 2700Hz wide. I created a very large Very Deep TNF on the right of the signal. Now, instead of moving the TNF towards the signal just widen the blue bar so you go inside the area of the TNF. Make sure you make the blue column wider than the end of the TNF so you can interact with it without having to move the TNF.

Right away the sound of the person on 14,283 changes (all the treble is gone) even though the TNF is not anywhere close to the actual 2700 Hz transmitted signal. If I do the same thing on the PowerSDR with the TNF the behavior is what you would expect, no change in the persons voice characteristics until the TNF reaches inside the 2700 Hz.

All you need to do is have the TNF touch the edge of your receiving column and it will alter the sound of the signal regardless of the location of the TNF.

The same cannot be replicated on the Flex 1500. On the 1500 it behaves as it should, only altering the receiving signal when the TNF is on top of the signal.

I will try to put together a video.
Does this behavior happen to your flex as well? Is this normal or just my specific radio?
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Official Response
I changed this to a problem and added it to our bug tracker for additional investigation.  Thank you Salvador for a detailed explanation of the issue and how to reproduce it.