Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Stop antenna tuner/Bypass

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Maybe I dont understand the operation and could not figure it out in the manual.  I recently started using the internal tuner on certain antennas after buying an Array solutions 8 pack that allowed me to use more of my antenna's easily. I have never used it in the two years I have owned the 6500 so its new to me.

Anyway, I am having a hard time easily putting the tuner in bypass without initiating auto-tune again. To make it worse I can't abort the tune and have to endure the tune attempt again on frequency. Shutting off memories seems to work but seems like their should be a dedicated bypass button and way to abort tune.

Am I missing a better option?

Answers

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If I'm not mistaken, you just hit the ATU button a second time,it will put it in bypass. I don't use often either but will verify later

Mike
    N9DFD
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Yes just hit ATU again and will stop and go into bypass

Mike N9DFD

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Does not work for me.  Hitting ATU again does nothing. It has to finish trying to tune before it stops.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Try just hitting the tune button twice in rapid succession without keying the transmitter and see if that'll work. I do that with the mfj 998
     auto tuner to get it to go to bypass.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Are we talking about SmartSDR or Maestro? They work differently.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    SmartSDR.  Just looking for an easy way to bypass tuner without starting tune process again.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    MEM is your button.  It enables and disables the remembered tuner settings, but that has the side effect of turning the tuner on and off.

If MEM is off and the tuner is off and the ATU button is pressed, the tuner will start a tuning cycle and end up engaged or not.  It won't remember the setting, so pressing ATU turns the tuner off, and pressing ATU again repeats the tuning cycle.

If MEM is on and the tuner knows a setting for the frequency, it engages.  If it doesn't know a setting, it doesn't engage.  Pressing ATU will give the tuner a chance to learn a setting for the frequency.

Things get messy and IMHO the interface breaks down, when the tuner cannot find a tuning solution that meets its criteria for a good match, but can find something that is better than nothing.  In that case it can be difficult to understand what is happening by looking at the display.  That case really needs a distinct output.  If it were up to me, I would modify the interface so that it said "partial" when this case happens.

I agree that the function of the MEM button is not intuitive.  I had the same questions and confusion when I first started using it.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yea I kinda expected that was the case.

Memory functions get ugly regardless when using Auto Tuners that dont know you switched the Antenna.  I have that issue with my AT-AUTO.  If I was not running the 8 pack I would buy Kesslers CX auto or whatever that add on switch is called.

In the end, I would be thrilled with a dedicated bypass button on the Flex. 
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I wish the tuner settings were remembered in the Profiles.  Just now I started up the radio via Maestro and invoked a global profile that configures the radio for a noon time net I participate in.  The radio selects the correct antenna and the slice receiver is set up correctly, but the tuner is disabled.  I may not notice this and may try to transmit without the correction in place.

If the global profile is going to remember the antenna choices for this configuration, why not remember to engage the auto tuner?

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    ATU memories are frequency range and antenna port specific and are agnostic of any other profile.  The ATU enabled state is remembered by band (persistence).  I only use the internal ATU on 6m and every time I switch to 6m, the ATU is automatically enabled.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have disabled memories for now.  But sounds like a bypass button would be useful to most of use. That same bypass button could cancel the tune process once started too.

Tim, is it possible to put on your super cape and change to idea thread?  Or just start another?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    We discussed this in detail when we designed the UI.  The challenge was "real estate" for another button.  So the decision was made to multi-purpose the ATU memories (MEM) control to put the ATU into bypass when MEM was turned off (disabled). 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    OK, Thanks for response.  Looks like I need to just buy another external tuner.

If nothing else hitting the ATU button again should stop the tune process.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    The tuning process needs to finish once initiated.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Why?  If I want to bypass the thing there is no reason it should not just stop and revert to where it was. 
  • Dave Spencer
    Dave Spencer Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I too have the same issue.
    Perhaps a menu selection with tick boxes could be employed for the bypass on a per band basis?
    eg. If I have an antenna resonant on 20 & 40 and don't need the tuner, I tick the boxes in the menu for those bands which disables any use of the tuner. If I need a tuner for all the other bands, the box stays unticked and the ATU is enabled.
    For safety, the ATU is enabled by default. Make it a positive selection to go to bypass.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.