Still having a problem getting SmartSDR CAT to load.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
I just went out to the computer to see if there might have been something I missed. SmartCAT is not present in installed programs. I thought that maybe my Edgeport converter may be giving me a problem so I not only disconnected it I also deleted all the now inoperable ports. Now, no ports are being used. Also uninstalled VSP Mgr. I then did a registry search for SmartCAT but only found a link to the executable. SmartCAT.msi. At each change, I’ve rebooted. Still no success. I’m running windows 8 but doubt that’s an issue. I’ve had no other problems 0.15.13. Other than rebuilding the OS, I’m not sure how to proceed. By the way, the radio was not powered up at any time while making these changes. Running Win8 x64 and (again), rebooted at each change. Perplexing!! Any ideas??
Photo of Kirk, K6KAR

Kirk, K6KAR

• 39 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 591 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Kirk,
I think your upload file was truncated.. Just select the end of the file starting with last current boot session then copy and past...

AL, K0VM
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Ok, i am just wondering if you have an underlying issue that may be causing this.

May be worth while just running a quick System File Check to scan your windows system.

From an Administrator command prompt:

sfc /scannow

This article will explain more.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Also, you could try a clean boot. This will disable all unnecessary drivers / services and startup programs.

Here is a KB article explaining how to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 591 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Richard,
Send me you direct e-mail to mycall at arrl dot net and i'll send you the msiexec log
AL, K0Vm

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Email sent.
Photo of Kirk, K6KAR

Kirk, K6KAR

• 39 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Richard,

Thanks. I think I've spent enough of yours and everybody's time on this issue. I do appreciate yours and everyone's comments and suggestions. I will do a system file check and if that fails will do a clean boot. If that doesn't provide anything will reinstall the OS and start fresh. Time consuming yes but far less time than we've all spent.

Many thanks,

Kirk, K6KAR

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
No problem at all. I love a challenge - so was happy to try and help. There is something quirky going on. I can reproduce the failure I created every time now, but I don't think that is what you guys are seeing - otherwise the same fixes would have helped.

Good luck!
Photo of Kirk, K6KAR

Kirk, K6KAR

• 39 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Richard, et.al,

Just as a follow-up, rebuilding Win8 fixed the problem. CAT now loads without difficulty. Probably a cop-out on my part to not continue to trouble shoot but it only took me 15 minutes to reload the Win8 OS. Guess I'll always wonder what caused the problem in the first place. Again, many thanks to all of you for trying to help.

Regards,

Kirk, K6KAR
Niceville. FL

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Nah, not a cop out. I can imagine how frustrating it was. This is one of the reasons why I always build my OS and apply the patches first - then create an image backup that I can revert to if an install goes south. It also means I can mount that image as a Virtual machine to test new software with before installing it on the live physical image.

Glad you got it working.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3496 Reply Likes
Official Response
This issue ended up being a Win8 OS issue that an operating system rebuild resolved.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.