Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

stereo tools software

John
John Member ✭✭
Has anyone run the flex 1500 or any other flex transceiver with the stereo tools software and what was it like? I dont even know how I would marry the two together, but is it really necessary with the flex software, which has its own mix and audio settings. Are we broadcasters or amateur radio ops ?

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have played with it for a while on my 6500.  It has some useful multiband compression and limiting features, as well as user-definable EQ bands that can be set up as octave EQ or parametric EQ.  It also has another EQ that lets you actually draw a graph of your desired frequency response.  It was fun to play with.  

I used my Heil PR-22 into a Behringer Xenix Q802USB mixer and used the USB port to put the mike into the Stereo Tool software and then fed it back into the rig via either the REMOTE audio "PC" channel or used one of the DAX TX lines.

In the long run, I found that the internal processor and EQ on my 6500 was more effective and less trouble when I had it set up properly.

At least this was with MY particular voice/mike combination.  Your mileage may vary.

The thing is, it is a free program and you can't break anything by playing with it.  Just be careful about audio levels into the rig or it will overdrive the rig and sound vary bad!

Have fun,

Ken - NM9P
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have just found my old asus zonar dx soundcard, which I was going to use a while back when I first got interested in SDR but did not know what to do with it. After getting chickenpox aged 45, it has killed off my logical thinking. I have just plugged it in and want to use it with my flex1500. I am only interested in seeing more waterfall bandwidth and not having broadcast audio, so will drop the stereo tools side of things. I may never get it working, but at least its in the computer.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can use the ASUS soundcard to put audio into the computer for use by Stereo Tool, and send the processed audio to the 1500 through the VAC1 input.  You would need to download the VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) program (about $35 if I remember correctly) or I think there may be an alternate program available in shareware.  It has been a while since I looked at this.  You may already have this if you have been playing with Digital Modes on the 1500.

Stereo Tool is fun to play with, but you will find that if you go through the setup procedures posted by W1AEX and others on YouTube that you can get great audio out of the 1500.  Stereo Tool is a good learning tool to understand what different things go into a great sounding station.

Ken - NM9P 
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I do have vac installed but gave up a long time ago to set it all up. Issues caused by chickenpox aged 45 make it difficult to work things out and even follow instructions. Old stuff I can do, but not anything  newer. Its a weird feeling of going blank at times. I installed the vac file under the 1500 white papers section  but gave up soon after.
    I,ll slumber with it for now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.