SteppIR SDA 100 Tuning Relay TX inhibit Flex 6500

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Hi all

I have my SPE 1.3k FA and SteppIR SDA100 hooked up to my 6500 via the USB Ports on the radio with USB to RS232 adapter cables. The SDA100 and amp follow the frequency and band changes of the radio just fine.

I have the Tuning relay board installed in the SDA100 and thought I could connect it to the TX REQ RCA plug on the back of the radio to inhibit transmit while the SDA100 is tuning the antenna but it does not. How to make this work??

Thanks
Kent
N6WT
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 116 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of JohnSweeney

JohnSweeney

• 93 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Kent - the relay in the SDA100 is open circuit when tuning, closed circuit when not tuning.   Your PTT line from the 6500 to the Expert must go thru the relay circuit (in series) in the SDA100.   Thus, the connector on the back of the SDA100 is 3 conductor.  Tip goes 6500, Ring goes to Expert, Sleeve is ground.  You can swap tip and ring as it is just a relay inside the SDA100.   If this is not clear I can send the SteppIR schematic.   73 es GL K9EL

Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 116 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
John

Yes please send me the schematic.

kilo6dko at gmail dot com

Thanks
Kent
Photo of JohnSweeney

JohnSweeney

• 93 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
It has been sent!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
I am curious, I do not own a SteppIR although I would love to.  I am wondering why you cannot use the "TX REQUEST INPUT" on the 6500 which serves as an interlock to prevent TX?

Does the SDA100 require some power to tune?   I was under the impression they could tune just based on the followed frequency and that the TX inhibit would toggle when it was moving the elements?

It seems that the TX Request line would be a better way to do this since it would prevent all TX if wired correctly.

Obviously you guys have the gear, I'm just curious.   

We are about to use two SteppIR beams in our upcoming WWV celebration and I was planning to wire these inputs to prevent TX during tuning.  So any input you guys have would be super helpful.

Mark - WS7M
Photo of JohnSweeney

JohnSweeney

• 93 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Inside the SteppIR control box is a relay with dry contacts that opens when the SteppIR is tuning.   You could use that open circuit to drive an inverter, another relay, etc. to inhibit the transmitter completely when the SteppIR is tuning.    John K9EL