Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Steppir SDA 100 AutoTrack - Erratic Readings

Hunter - K3IE
Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Setup:

Flex 6300
SmartSDR v1.10.16
UGreen 2.0 USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Cable FTDI chip set
Steppir S12 Transceiver Interface Cable (SDA 100 Data In Port)
SmartSDR USB Cable Interface Feature

SDA100 Transceiver setting = "Kenwood"  9600 8 N 1
SmartSDR USB Cable Interface settings - CAT TX Slice 9600 8 N 1

Problem

Autotrack engages - SDA 100 and SmartSDR frequencies are initially in sync

After 15 seconds or so, the SDA 100 Autotrack frequency readout becomes erratic - the frequency changes independently from SmartSDR/6300.  The SDA 100 then retunes my DB18 to the erroneous frequency readouts. 

I have tried swapping USB cables and rebooting 6300 but to no avail.

I have not tried DDUTIL approach.

Hoping someone may have a suggestion - this is driving me nuts.

Thank you - Hunter K3IE

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hunter Can you go into the USB menu in SSDR and turn on logging for that device. See if you can see the frequency jumping in the log file. Mike
  • Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Mike,

I turned on logging and the freq does change in the log file.

Hunter.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

You might try reducing the baud rate to 1200 and see if you have the same problem.

• Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Jim - I changed the Baud to 1200 on SDA 100 Data In and Data Out along with SmartSDR USB Cable and now it is not tracking at all.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Mine tracks at all Baud rates. Must be a hardware problem.

• Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Jim - I will give Steppir a call tomorrow.  Thank you both for your responses. 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Hunter

Steppir isn't going to be much help.  They are going to say that it works fine without the radio, so it isn't our problem.

A few things come to mind.
    • Unplug the USB device, delete the entry and re-install it and do the configuration again (SSDR)
    • Could something else be commanding a frequency change?  Just for the test, make sure all CAT linked programs are not running.  You can tell this by reviewing the CAT window and see if anything is connected (or, just **** CAT for the test)
    • Paste in some log entries so I can see if the Steppir is sending the new frequency or the radio is
    • What do you have your 'source to trigger' set to?
    • Just for yucks, I assume you have rebooted your computer lately? (just a thought)
    Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.