steppir and 6 meters

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Anyone using the 3 element steppir with 40/30 option on 6 meters.  The reason I ask is I can not get swr to go below about 2.5 

Thanks
Roger
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Larry: KE2YC

Larry: KE2YC

• 75 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Roger

Send element home. Do you have the added element for 6m. If you do than there is a change in your setup on the 100

If any questions my email is good on Qrz

ke2yc, Larry
Photo of Mike Presnell

Mike Presnell

• 51 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Roger,

I had the same issue, and had questioned SteppIR about their settings, but did not hear back from them.  For instance, if you use the extra "passive" element, their manual says to make it 112" and this would be for use around 50.0 through 50.4.   But, if you type in the FT8 freq for 6M into a calculator, you will find that the Driven element should be 112."    So, in my opinion, their passive element director must be too long at 112."

If you want to get the lowest possible SWR on 6m, you should be able to get it  under 1.3 by doing the following:   

Go to Create/Modify in the setup routine of the SDA100 controller. Make sure you have your controller already on the desired frequency in 6M (ie. 50.313).    Bring all elements home manually.  They wont go to zero, i think about 4 inches is home.  

Now bring the driven element out to about 105" and adjust +/1 until you find the lowest SWR.  Then bring out the Reflector, and then the Director.  When you have adjusted all elements, dont forget to save your new settings.

I think I get about 1.04 or so on my DB18E doing this.   When i find the time, I will check this out with EzNec.

Hope this helps.

r/Mike
WB0O

Photo of Jeremy - W2JG

Jeremy - W2JG

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Roger!

Did you ever hear back from SteppIR?

Thanks!
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Basically there answer was "very interesting. Let us know what you figure out."

Photo of Jeremy - W2JG

Jeremy - W2JG

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow, isn’t that a nice answer!

Do you know if this problem also exits for the DB18E?

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy
W2JG
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Official Rep

• 817 Posts
  • 231 Reply Likes
Mike

Did you happen to record your measurements?  

When you extended the other elements, what were you looking for?  Low SWR?

Did you notice a performance improvement?

Many thanks, Mike 
Photo of Steve Bunting

Steve Bunting

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
GM3SEK has modelled this: Optimize Your SteppIR 3-Element Yagi for 6m. Hope that helps you?

M0BPQ
Photo of Jeremy - W2JG

Jeremy - W2JG

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What is the bandwidth of this modified approach, ie can it be tuned to operate over the 50-54MHz band? What is the instantaneous bandwidth, ie the bandwidth without having to retune? Thanks!
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Steve

Thanks for the link.  If I lived in England I would buy the parts and give it a try.

roger

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Official Rep

• 829 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
I chased a problem like this for a long time.  Everything else was fine, but I could not tune 6M on a 3EL Steppir but with no 40M kit.

Months later, I changed out the patch cable from the radio to the Amp, which was about 70" or RG8X and the problem went away.

Just a thought.

Mike 
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
no amp in line.  Radio straight to antenna.
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I added 112 element from a 6m antenna that I have.  Now the steppir will tune to 1.04 in create/mod.  So the stock antenna does not really cover 6m as advertised.