Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Status of new 6400, 6600 Flex Radios?

13»

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If you run a successful small business (ham radio store is no different), you need to be making just over 27% to not loose a money.  That pays the employees, rent, power, taxes etc.   It is a very hard way to make a living.  

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I heard a few weeks back that the $995 HRO price for the 7300 was the re-boxed  store demo, one available per store. This could have changed or extended for black friday.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looks like we will be getting SSDR Ver 2.1.X with the new radios.
    Wonder what will be new in 2.1?

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Today if you want to run a successful small business you have to completely shake off the practices of the past and embrace technology, from sales and marketing to order fulfillment and taxes. Most ham dealers, except for (partially) DX Engineering, have not made the transition. Flex is in the same boat.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2017
    Saw this in the Manual:
    imageLooks like Fill is coming to the panadapter!image
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Mike W - Flex is no better than Icom. How is this any different from what Flex has done to 6300/6500/6700 owners with the announcement of the 6400/6600 models?
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    What would you have Flex do??  Never bring out a new radio??  Get Real.  At least Flex lets you trade in your old one.  Try that with a 7600 to a 7610.  Even worse Icoms 7610 specs are better than their 7851 $13,000.00 radio.  1/4th the price for a better radio.  Those people should be upsat.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I thought that someone might bring that up. 

My personal thought (key word) is that Flex was pricing was static from day 1 until the new units where announced.  Normal electronics product life cycle is about 3 years or so.   With Icom it happened in days and then it looks like it got into a 'gas pricing war' scenario.    I hope that makes sense.   

This is just my personal observation of course and likely beyond the scope of this forum. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Yes.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Price war? Nah, just clearing the shelves to make room for the 7300 MK II. RX antenna input and video out.

It’s only business guys. The gloves are off and ham radio has awaken to competition. It’s all good. We will enjoy rapid innovation and ever improving price/performance. Just like in the PC world.

Happy Thanksgiving! P.S. The concept of trade ins is just ridiculous. My personal opinion. It adds cost and complexity to the supply chain with no tangible benefits.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2017
    Could be that Icom sees a very real threat from the 6400M (closest radio to the 7610 in specs) and is seeking to grab that sector of the market before Flex releases the 6400M and 6600M. I think that the 6400M will sell real well once it is released and people see the final product. And how it preforms. Just the larger, higher rez screen and two panadapters with 7Mhz max view in each one will grab a lot of attention.
      james
    WD5GWY

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Unlikely. What they are doing is disrupting the status quo by accelerating the pace of innovation, streamlining manufacturing, and lowering cost. The 7300 has sold enough units to recoup the R&D cost for both the 7300 and the 7610. Now that the 7610 is out it is time to harmonize the platform by using the same ADC for the 7300 MK II and the 7610 as well as enable features that are already in the 7300, such as the RX antenna input.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Gary,
      The IC-7610 will not replace the IC-7851 anytime soon Tracking filters, true diversity
    Noise Reduction better than any BHI unit, Will not overload in CQWW with 70+/9 signals side by side, etc
     Only issue it price like a Ferrari Race Car, you get what you pay for.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    once you have a SDR architecture all that feature is possible
    but not expect ICOM to add that feature soon :-)
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Agree, what you see is what you get from ICOM typically
      When you get a Flex, a new radio with software upgrades
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    For 99.5% of radio customers the $13,000 non SDR, no panadaptor product is a dinosaur.  Flex 6600M for 1/3 the price.  Its what I bought.  HIHI  My Elecraft K3 for half the price is a better radio, way better customer service and I expect it to sit idle once the 6600M arrives.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes, the ICOM 7851 is non-SDR but it has a Spectrum Scope and WaterFall to be fair.

Anyway, a lot of choices for you and that is why all these radio's will evolve.

Yes I have a Flex6xxx series radio and tried them all, there will always be Pro's and Con's and the 6600M is a great rig ! Enjoy 
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thank you for the update. I anxiously await my new 6600M. :)
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I am waiting for my first Flex, what is Fill ?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Fill is the white area under the signals in the panadapter. Current software just shows a white line. Fill makes everything under the line white. Some prefer this.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Hi Steven,
    Check out this "idea" post for some detailed examples and suggestions on fill transparency.  (wonder if the transparency suggestion made it...)

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/if-you-want-the-ability-to-fill-in-the-pan-display-...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes for V1, or yes for V2?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Excellent news, happy to see everything coming together for you now Gerald. Be proud. You are certainly innovator #1 of the decade in my book. Your competitors can't touch this. It's also very interesting to watch this all unfold.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have a windows 10 Tablet with 32gb of storage, 2GB RAM and Atom Processor, Can it run SmartSDR for windows?
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Should be ok, I have an older Eee with an Atom processor running win 8 (it wont even take 8.1) running 1.11.12 SSDR  and the little guy only has 1 gig of ram, a split 72 gig each mini drive.  32 bit os obviously but it does run. Albeit a little shaky but...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    What speed is the Attom Processor? SSDR can be run on almost any newer computer.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

It's 1.5ghz Proc. I don't expect hi performance, just want something I can put on the night stand for SWL.

So I will just need a Single Panadapter & Slice.
    ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The computer does not do any processing, so, the only thing you need to think about is the video performance of the display. You should be able to open more than one pan
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    ...The graphics will probably be better on yours depending on the max resolution of your system. this poor little guy really struggles to even change the position of the panadapter and all this is jammed into a 10" diagonal measure screen and a max resolution in my case of 1024*600  crowds it. But it functions hihi.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    OK I'll keep my fingers crossed. sounds like it will work.
    thank's guys.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.