Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Status of new 6400, 6600 Flex Radios?

Answers

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited November 2017
    I believe what he means is it doesn’t matter when it comes. It simply would be nice to have a firm date of when to expect it without using vague or ambiguous terms. The mfr likely knows what the cycle time is for assembly, QA & shipping. What’s unknown might be the lead time for the components, some of which are in high demand & short supply, such as 10k resistors. If you can’t get the penny parts, you certainly wouldn’t want to tie up your working capital in the $10 parts that you can get. However, in a recent interview Gerald implied that they had everything they needed for production through the end of 2018. If only for budgetary reasons, it’d be awfully nice to have a firmer timeline of when I need to liquidate an investment to come up with the balance owed. We don’t all live on plastic.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    99% sometime in NOV, still have a few days left. cross your fingers! 
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    With holidays this coming week there’s only 7 working days left in Nov. Hubba-hubba...
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    If it just were plastic - it's my XYL's sticky fingers I worry about.  $4500.00 is so tempting!!
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I think more frequent updates by the FLEX staff would lessen the questions concerning 6400-6600 delivery.  Communication to customers is key to any company's success.  I am not talking about explicit delivery dates but just the status of development at the present time. Without informed communication, rumors run rampant.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Jim, Tim has asked people to call about their order and ask anything. As you read, some have called and was given updates concerning their orders.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I know this, in fact I called last week concerning my order; just seems like more frequent updates via announcements would alleviate a lot of these type telephone calls which consume the Flex staff's time.  
    Example: I called Sales, had to leave message, Flex called me back and had to leave a message for me, I again had to call Flex to talk with someone..  This is so wasteful of the support Staff's time to get a answer that could have been answered one time for many of us with a brief announcement.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Tim, I am sure they are aware of everything you mention, but Flex has been getting away from giving any kind of dates, only in the ball park dates. This is done for very good reasons I may add. Sit tight, as the time gets closer we will hear more.
    There will always be rumors, and little can be done to stop them.
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited January 2018
    Flex just sent out a mass email explaining the delays and saying:
    Barring any unforeseen problems, our manufacturing partner has committed best efforts to complete the first production run during the month of December.  Both they and we are highly motivated to do so.
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2017
    Yep, communication, no matter how painful it may be to some, is much better than little, or no, communication. Thanks Gerald for the update. James WD5GWY
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited January 2018
    It wasn't all bad news though, which is why they must have waited until the issues got resolved to send out the email.

I was worried that they might do everything for the M models and start shipping them before getting started on the non-M models, but the email (and a call to Mike) confirmed that at least the boards for the first run are done for both M and non-M.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    since my 6700 is on flex bench and i wait for 6600 , i  buy and put in place a ICOM Radio
    before snow block access to my remote site ,seem that it was a good idea ;-)

that also permit to find that RS-BA1  is not that bad 1/10 of internet bandwidth
    and after 15 day still no have issue (yet)

really wish to have my 6600 on hand soon for put it on operation  Icom is fine but noting beat Flex  ;-) 

• Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I read Gerald's message to say they hoped the first run of M models would ship in December. The original plan was to ship the M models one month before the non M models, so I assume the 6400 would ship in January. Anyone disagree with this?

Joe  N9VX 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    tnx for update.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    James you are being awfully tough on Matt for no reason. You are just an outsider guessing, Matt is there daily and knows things. He may even know what happened to the dinosaurs, and who really shot Kennedy. Someone took a shot across the Icom bow and you are snapping back, I get it but it really isn't necessary.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Great news! I hope everyone at Flex has a great Thanksgiving and takes some time to spend with family and friends over the long weekend. 

Matt NQ6N
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2017
    Matt knows I meant no harm in my statement. But, he has in the past made statements to me on this subject, that turned out to be guesses. The world didn't end. And I know who shot Kennedy! Icom and FRS will survive just fine despite any statement I, or anyone else may make. Little snipes(if that's what I said was a snipe,,, we hunt snipes in Texas!)
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    Gerald and Matt,   Thanks for the update.  We are all loyal Flex customers who understand that Flex is a much smaller company building highly specialized products.  Many of us who have gravitated to Flex vs Icom have done so for a great product with outstanding personalized customer service.  Your supply problems are our problems and I can say for myself, knowledge that a supplier was shipping late comes as a relief knowing that the radio as a whole is proceeding as normal, just interrupted by lack of necessary parts.  I was a Navy Supply Officer who has chased parts around the world - even to Antarctica.  I feel your pain.  My 6600M will come when ready - not a minute before, and that is as it should be.   HAVE A GOOD, HAPPY AND STRESS FREE THANKSGIVING.   73,   Gary J   N5BAA

• Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited November 2017
    I think I am perhaps #1 on the list for the 6400M (first to order it the night it was announced at the Flex dinner prior to Hamvention). I did not get an email as you mention above. Concerning. Fred K0RAL - Dayton Ohio
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited November 2017
    There is mention of an e-mail sent to all who have the new radio on order. Did not receive such an email.I think I am perhaps #1 on the list for the 6400M (first to order it the night it was announced at the Flex dinner prior to Hamvention). Concerning. Fred K0RAL - Dayton Ohio 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It seems there are more people not receiving the emails than those who are.  Hard to say why. Maybe getting caught in spam.
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited November 2017
    I check my SPAM folder at least once a week. That was yesterday - not there.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    There is a level of spam protection most people do not see. The provider filters stuff out that we don't even see with our local spam system.

Just throwing it out there :)
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ah, competition is a beautiful thing- the 7300 is now $995 at HRO and Giga while the 7610 is $3495 at R&L. Chances are these prices will put downward pressure on Flex prices and we all benefit.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    What is really sad is that it just shows how Icom supports their current customers.  By pushing down the price, it really hurts all those that are early adopters of their radios.  It just made used IC-7300's now worth about $700 (almost overnight) and I doubt there is any price protection for those buyers. 

How did I come up with $700?  What would you pay for a used radio when a new one is only $1000 now.  $700 is about the price you would risk for a used, uncertified, maybe no warranty  radio.  If you are lucky, you are close enough to meet up with the seller.  

Wow.... pretty cut throat.  My educated guess is that a dealer is making less than 10%/radio now (I used to be a dealer, so I have a darn good idea).  

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This is not an Icom bash time, this is what can be expected by a very large company. From all my reading the Icom falls very short of the Flex radios in many ways. Because of this I think Flex can hold their prices up were they should be. Icom needs to undercut their own prices to sell them.

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Maybe. IMHO what we are seeing is a transition to a normal, competitive market similar to the broader electronics market. I’d argue that the ham market lived a sheltered life for decades with very low rate of innovation and little competition resulting in artificially high second hand equipment prices. The $995 7300 pushes down resale prices across the board, for all makes and models.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I did not receive it either

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.