Status of new 6400, 6600 Flex Radios?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
What is current status of the new Flex 6400M, 6600M radios?  I think Gerald indicated they would begin shipping the first part of November.  I dont recall a current update to the last information we all received.  
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 312 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2489 Posts
  • 562 Reply Likes
I don't believe Flex has announced that they are shipping yet.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
The radios have not started shipping.  If you have one on order, please contact Sales to inquire about your order status.
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I contacted Matt a couple of days ago and he indicated "Birth Announcements" were very close.73,  Gary J  N5BAA
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 862 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes
Matt told me "sometime in December".
Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 300 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
UGH I have a business trip in December
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
When did you get your order in??  Mine was in during Xenia (but not at Xenia so they go first ) for a 6600M.   My actual date is 5/22/17
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 862 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes
Gary, same day. Matt said it was early enough to ship in the first batch out. Whenever that may be. We shall see....
Photo of N5BEG

N5BEG

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have a buddy who is buying my 6300 when the 6600M ships. I'm doing ok but he's not doing so well!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9000 Posts
  • 3406 Reply Likes
Setup some shared SmartLink credentials so he can use it remotely.
Photo of N5BEG

N5BEG

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Excellent idea Tim!
Photo of KG9DW

KG9DW

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'd love some credentials too as I wait for my 6600!
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 190 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
When I got to Xenia the first place I went was the flex Booth to order a 6500, Flex sold me the better 6600 for the same price . But the delivery date was August.
(Edited)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 740 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Me thinks everyone is anxious for their new radio or amplifier before the rare Bouvet DXPedition :)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Absolutely NO DOUBT about that.  I really want it for tomorrow's ARRL SSB Sweep contest and other contests between now and Bouvet.  It's why I bought the 6600M in the first place.  Surely don't need one for 80 meter rag chews.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Placed my order on 5/7/2017. I believe that was prior to Xenia?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9000 Posts
  • 3406 Reply Likes
We did not start selling them until May 19th
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
YES!! it was 5/21/17!!   Thanks Tim!
Photo of Bobby Greene

Bobby Greene

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If what Tim said about they did not start selling them until May 19th, then I must be in the top 5 for my 6400. At the bottom of my form, Matt put Cash, 4:55pm, 5/19. And when he put my order on top of the pile, it was less than a 1/2 inch. Hope it is here before Xmas.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 315 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Are the new rigs FCC type certified? What’s their FCC ID?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9129 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
All our products pass the required FCC and CE certifications before they can be sold. Part 87 devices do not require type acceptance.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 315 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Tim, honestly this feels like a lawyer’s answer. What I was hoping to understand is

1) The new models have been certified. The respective FCC IDs are ...

OR

2) The new models are yet to be certified.

So is it #1 or #2? Obviously whether or not certification is done has a material impact on the shipping schedule.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9129 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
All our radios pass FCC certifications before they can be sold and shipped.  We plan to ship the new radios very soon, so yes, they have passed FCC certifications. Certifications are done early in the product engineering process to ensure that boards do not have to be modified to pass. 
Photo of Bill Garfield W1BG

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I placed my order (6600M) around the 3rd week of June and was also told that mine will be included in the first production run. While cautiously optimistic,I also realize Icom customers have been waiting 15 months and as of tonight US customers still don't have them.  By comparison the longest any of us have been waiting is 6 months. Sure it'd be nice to have it by Christmas, (specifically meaning Christmas 2017) but if it doesn't make it until Valentine's Day, I'm sure I'll survive. I've seen enough of the 7610 to know that there's something a lot better coming from Flex, so I'm not going to get tired of waiting,  In fact after the recent price announcement (3995.95) there's been a number of pre-order cancellations within that camp. MTC & Gigaparts are offering $100 discounts plus offering $1000 trade-in credits for ultra-clean and complete (with original accys & factory carton) 7300s as a way of easing the shock of the steep price and trying to salvage some orders they otherwise risk losing.
Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Gary,
  The IC-7610 will not replace the IC-7851 anytime soon Tracking filters, true diversity
Noise Reduction better than any BHI unit, Will not overload in CQWW with 70+/9 signals side by side, etc
 Only issue it price like a Ferrari Race Car, you get what you pay for.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 343 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
once you have a SDR architecture all that feature is possible
but not expect ICOM to add that feature soon :-)
Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Agree, what you see is what you get from ICOM typically
  When you get a Flex, a new radio with software upgrades
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
For 99.5% of radio customers the $13,000 non SDR, no panadaptor product is a dinosaur.  Flex 6600M for 1/3 the price.  Its what I bought.  HIHI  My Elecraft K3 for half the price is a better radio, way better customer service and I expect it to sit idle once the 6600M arrives.
Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Yes, the ICOM 7851 is non-SDR but it has a Spectrum Scope and WaterFall to be fair.

Anyway, a lot of choices for you and that is why all these radio's will evolve.

Yes I have a Flex6xxx series radio and tried them all, there will always be Pro's and Con's and the 6600M is a great rig ! Enjoy 
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
None of us want a radio before it can be the best Flex can build.  I certainly don't want to have to send it back to correct a problem with hardware.  We're just itching to put them on the air.  For me its my first Flex (thank you for the knobs and stand alone from Mr. Gates).  I'm trying to protect the $$ set aside.  XYL's are notorious for eating into ones stash of greenbacks and remember Christmas is not far away.  Saved money has a way of disappearing.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Its the lack of a date to plan toward that is sooooo hard.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I believe what he means is it doesn’t matter when it comes. It simply would be nice to have a firm date of when to expect it without using vague or ambiguous terms. The mfr likely knows what the cycle time is for assembly, QA & shipping. What’s unknown might be the lead time for the components, some of which are in high demand & short supply, such as 10k resistors. If you can’t get the penny parts, you certainly wouldn’t want to tie up your working capital in the $10 parts that you can get. However, in a recent interview Gerald implied that they had everything they needed for production through the end of 2018. If only for budgetary reasons, it’d be awfully nice to have a firmer timeline of when I need to liquidate an investment to come up with the balance owed. We don’t all live on plastic.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I think more frequent updates by the FLEX staff would lessen the questions concerning 6400-6600 delivery.  Communication to customers is key to any company's success.  I am not talking about explicit delivery dates but just the status of development at the present time. Without informed communication, rumors run rampant.  
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2352 Posts
  • 535 Reply Likes
Jim, Tim has asked people to call about their order and ask anything. As you read, some have called and was given updates concerning their orders.
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I know this, in fact I called last week concerning my order; just seems like more frequent updates via announcements would alleviate a lot of these type telephone calls which consume the Flex staff's time.  
Example: I called Sales, had to leave message, Flex called me back and had to leave a message for me, I again had to call Flex to talk with someone..  This is so wasteful of the support Staff's time to get a answer that could have been answered one time for many of us with a brief announcement.  
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2352 Posts
  • 535 Reply Likes
Tim, I am sure they are aware of everything you mention, but Flex has been getting away from giving any kind of dates, only in the ball park dates. This is done for very good reasons I may add. Sit tight, as the time gets closer we will hear more.
There will always be rumors, and little can be done to stop them.
Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 300 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
99% sometime in NOV, still have a few days left. cross your fingers! 

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
With holidays this coming week there’s only 7 working days left in Nov. Hubba-hubba...
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
If it just were plastic - it's my XYL's sticky fingers I worry about.  $4500.00 is so tempting!!
Photo of Milen KG2C

Milen KG2C

• 58 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Flex just sent out a mass email explaining the delays and saying:
Barring any unforeseen problems, our manufacturing partner has committed best efforts to complete the first production run during the month of December.  Both they and we are highly motivated to do so.
Photo of Fred Abrams

Fred Abrams

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think I am perhaps #1 on the list for the 6400M (first to order it the night it was announced at the Flex dinner prior to Hamvention). I did not get an email as you mention above. Concerning. Fred K0RAL - Dayton Ohio
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 105 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I did not receive it either
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 862 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes
Yep, communication, no matter how painful it may be to some, is much better than little, or no, communication.
Thanks Gerald for the update.
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Milen KG2C

Milen KG2C

• 58 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
It wasn't all bad news though, which is why they must have waited until the issues got resolved to send out the email.

I was worried that they might do everything for the M models and start shipping them before getting started on the non-M models, but the email (and a call to Mike) confirmed that at least the boards for the first run are done for both M and non-M.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 352 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
since my 6700 is on flex bench and i wait for 6600 , i  buy and put in place a ICOM Radio
before snow block access to my remote site ,seem that it was a good idea ;-)

that also permit to find that RS-BA1  is not that bad 1/10 of internet bandwidth
and after 15 day still no have issue (yet)

really wish to have my 6600 on hand soon for put it on operation  Icom is fine but noting beat Flex  ;-) 
Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 39 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I read Gerald's message to say they hoped the first run of M models would ship in December. The original plan was to ship the M models one month before the non M models, so I assume the 6400 would ship in January. Anyone disagree with this?

Joe  N9VX 
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 792 Posts
  • 1427 Reply Likes
The final parts for the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 front panels are in transit to the factory so we expect to ship the first production run of all four models next month.  The may be slightly behind the "M" models but not by much.  We are hoping that there will not be much gap in shipping all models after the first production run, assuming the vendors all ship on time to our factory.  
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 488 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Excellent news, happy to see everything coming together for you now Gerald.
Be proud. You are certainly innovator #1 of the decade in my book.
Your competitors can't touch this.
It's also very interesting to watch this all unfold.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 976 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes

Dear Valued Customer, First, we sincerely appreciate your pre-order and your trust in FlexRadio.  You have ordered one of the most powerful transceivers ever produced for the Amateur Radio market and we are confident you will love it.

As a reminder, here are a few of the things to look forward to with your new radio:

• Industry-leading performance for the price

• SmartLink for plug and play remote on iPhone, iPad, Maestro or laptop

• Regular software updates with new features and performance improvements

• Large 8" high resolution (1920 x 1200) multi-touch display (M-models)

• Two full sets of VFO controls (M-models)

• And many more...

We would like to apologize for the delay from our original September shipment estimate.  Unfortunately, two factors out of our control delayed production startup.  First, our manufacturing partner cut over to a new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system on September 1.  This resulted in a ~3-week delay that we were not aware of when we made our original estimate.  Secondly, our bare printed circuit board supplier was late on three PCBs by three weeks, which were additive to the ERP transition delay.  Fortunately, those issues are behind us and the factory is in full swing.

Here is the latest status of production:

1. The factory completed the last printed circuit board assembly for the first production run on November 18th.

2. We also received first article (FA) final production assemblies on November 18th for validation as shown in the photo below.  We were successful in confirming quality and performance of the FA units over the weekend.

3. The factory is in the process now of building the major chassis subassemblies in preparation for final system test and calibration.

4. This week is Thanksgiving week in the US, which has the factory short on staff and closed on Thursday and Friday.  Full production will resume on Monday after the holiday.

5. Barring any unforeseen problems, our manufacturing partner has committed best efforts to complete the first production run during the month of December.  Both they and we are highly motivated to do so.  

6. Shipments into the US market will begin first.  

7. We expect to begin CE testing during the first or second week of December.  Shipments to the EU will begin as soon that testing is successfully completed.

We know that you would like to get ready to use your new radio so we are providing a link below to the Quick Start Guide and the FLEX-6400M/FLEX-6600M User Guide.  The hardware section of these manuals is applicable to the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 as well.  Review the SmartSDR for Windows User Guide for software operation of the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 models.  We hope that you will take the time to review these manuals in preparation for receipt of your radio.

We know you are eager to learn when you will receive your radio but please try to refrain from contacting us since there will be no additional information beyond that provided here. Prior to shipment of your radio, we will contact you by email to request final payment, verify your shipping information, and see if there are any changes you would like to make to your order.

Thanks for your patience as we ramp production over the coming weeks.

Gerald, K5SDR
(Edited)
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 122 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
tnx for update.
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 105 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thank you for the update. I anxiously await my new 6600M. :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.