Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Static IP - SmartSDR v1.9.7

Frank, HB9FXQ
Frank, HB9FXQ Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Thanks a lot implementing that static IP address feature, very helpful in more complex network situations. But it actually looks to me, as form the SmartSDR client side view it's kind of equal to static DHCP leases... Would have expected to tell SmartSDR where to find the radio. 

Now our upcoming multi-OM VPN will be routed across several subnets. Several radios with several VPN clients in different locations. Is there any change to connect to the radio without that discovery broadcast packages? Like tell to Maestro & SmartSDR Windows client where the radio is? That would be the key to not bridge networks like it was in our current approach. I was about to relay broadcast packages into subnets but that is kind of ugly.

Would you see anything else that could stop us from using the radio in a different subnet. DAX etc is unicast, right?

73s
Frank

Answers

• Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have the same concerns and ended up having to use unique VPNs as a crude work around. The new iPad App is an example of allowing the user to chose the ability to select Discovery mode or to insert the address.
        Watts
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I was able to set a static IP for the radio just fine, but as has been said, doesn't address the need to enter that IP address into the Startup tab in order to connect to the radio over a WAN or other remote subnet.

But certainly a step in the right direction!

73s
    Rick
  • Frank, HB9FXQ
    Frank, HB9FXQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Would be good to know if manually connecting to a specific IP is on the 'official' agenda, since we've already bought a bunch of pfSense appliances, that are waiting to be provisioned, in order to make our Flex-VPN happen soon and share our radios :) Routing would the preferred way. Bridging brings too much overhead and since IPv6 has established, a Bridge causes much new trouble with SLAAC / Router advertisements mixing up etc.... Also bridging networks is not desired with friends since it makes firewalling complicated.

So a big +1 for manually setting the radio's IP address in the clients in 1.9.8. Would save us much trouble with broadcast relaying etc.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    "...it actually looks to me, as form the SmartSDR client side view it's kind of equal to static DHCP leases..."

You are 100% correct.  

"Is there any change to connect to the radio without that discovery broadcast packages? "

No, there is not.

"Would you see anything else that could stop us from using the radio in a different subnet. DAX etc is unicast, right?"

Nothing, as long as you can connect the client to the radio and that is done through a broadcast discovery protocol.  SmartSDR for Windows 1.x only supports operating the radio on a single IP subnet.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I too am frustrated with the lack of a SmartSDR option to specify the IP of the radio to connect to. I'd think this would be basic and obvious. The DL8MRE iOS flex client did this right from it's initial release date!
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    More than a step in the right direction for me!  My radio was unusable w/o Static IP!  There was nothing that I did not try in order to try to get my Flex to take an IP address within the correct subnet and host designation.  Even the Network address portion, the first two numbers of an IP, were problematic.  The radio last took the address of 169.10.3.69.  The 169 is a significant designation indicating problems with accepting an IP w/o networking connection problems.  The last two numbers or the host side designation portion of an IP address were also problematic, especially the 2nd to last number, 3, which must match the host number of other devices within the LAN in order to reach the Flex device.  The Flex software easily found the Flex device's IP, although the PC was in the typical 192.168.0.x designation.  We tried everything!  New modems, new switches, DHCP server software, activating the DHCP function on my server, etc.  The problem obviously originates in some device or multiple devices within my LAN.  However to find the culprit device or device combination is almost impossible to find and fix as the number of possible combinations and possible IP assignments that it becomes a matter of blind trial and error of changing IP combinations in an effort to find the conflict(s).  Static IP fixes all that!  No need to track down the device generating the conflict.  Thank you Flex!  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.