Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Static IP addresses for both Flex and PC

Rod KQ6F
Rod KQ6F Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have the 6400 directly connected to my Win 10 PC.  When starting up I have to wait for the APIPA process to auto-assign my PC IP address.  This takes about 50 secs. which is an irritating wait.  I'm wondering if I can't just assign static IP addresses to both the radio and the PC that are close to each other and have the same sub-mask values.  I'm doing this with my ANAN radio and it works perfectly - almost zero connection time.  I tried assigning the static address 10.0.0.1 to the 6400 but it wouldn't accept it.

Answers

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Good luck, I have asked for this in the past due to the many issues I have run into. The best I can do is doing reserved DHCP IP from the router.

Like you I use a static IP on my Anan and it works great that way.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Appears to be possible. Not sure why DHCP is so slow on your PC. I am running static on my 6700, Tower PC & PGXL. Try the same ip range as your WIN10 PC.
    Hope this helps.

From the 6400-6600 hardware manual:

Once you have connected to  the radio over the LAN via DHCP, you may assign a static IP address. Refer to the SmartSDR Software User Guidefor more details.

From SSDR manual this is in the Setup Applet.

36.4 NETWORK TAB 
    The network tab offers information and settings related to the radio’s network connection. 

The Network tab contains the IP address, sub-net mask and MAC address in use by the radio. 
    Pressing the Advanced button reveals controls that allow the user to assign a fixed IP address to the radio.  Press the Static button then enter the desired IP address, sub-net mask and gateway address.  Press Apply.  The radio will reboot.  SmartSDR will lose its connection to the radio and will return to the Startup screen.  The radio can be returned to dynamic IP address assignment by use of the DHCP button.  These controls are not available when accessing the radio via SmartLink. 
    The Enforce Private IP Connections button enables (default) and disables a network security feature.  When enabled, only private network IP addresses may connect to the radio when the radio is connected to a private network.  These are the 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 address blocks.  When disabled, any address may connect
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    10.0.0.1 maybe a poor choice. That is usually the modem/router address. Thus a conflict. Others may know better. Help desk ticket could fix it quickly. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Most likely late on this but in my router I can assign a static IP address to the MAC Adress of the radio with no problem.
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    internal ips usually 192.168.02 --->252 to be safe

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.