Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

starting screen does not show radio

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I leave my 6700 on all the time. Periodically, the radio shows  a "Blue Button"; but, the radio is not shown on the startup screen.  Shutting down the radio and restarting solves the problem.

SmartSDR 1.4.3

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Do you have a GPSDO installed in your 6700?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I leave the station on 24/7.  When not transmitting the draw is minor.

Steve

K9ZW

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My 6700 does the same thing once in a while, I have NO GPSDO. When mine does do this (not all the time) is if I use a different computer then I previously used like my laptop or tablet running CAT, DAX and SmartSDR and then just shut down SmartSDR which leaves CAT and DAX running on the laptop and then bring SmartSDR up on my normal Radio Desktop computer (or visa versa) and it can't find the radio once in a while . On previous versions of SmartSDR it did it a lot more then 1.43 does and tracked it down to having CAT and DAX still running on the computer not in use at the time but powered up and on the same network so I got into the habit of shutting down DAX and CAT when I was done with the Radio on my Laptop and that stopped the problem. I haven't tested this on version 1.43 much because like I said I got into the habit of shutting down DAX and CAT on the laptop when I'm done using the radio. YOUR system will very and this may not be what is causing the problem but it is a work around for me. 73's Bret WX7Y
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have the same problem every so often. I find that if I don't give the 6700 (with GPSDO) a little time after the blue button shows up (i.e. double clicking too soon) then I get the blank screen. If I wait 15 or so seconds after the blue button then the radio starts normally.) However if I just shutdown (using the Red "X" and then restart with the blue button again then I do get a radio screen but it is not the one I shut down during the last secession of operating. I also have 2 other computers on the network with DAX and CAT running and they don't seem to be the problem. I think Flex will find the cure for the problem and I feel that it is very minor. I would rather have them continue to work toward 2.0 (my 2 cents worth). Al, N4AB
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited May 2015
    Steve I also leave mine on 24/7....After running a computer based business that ran servers 24/7 I found much less problems to run 24/7....  Burt's cost assessment aside, your right... cost is very minimal...
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I occasionally have the same problem.  The receiver is actually talking  to the computer, it is just that we don't see the screen. I have only had this since 1,4.0. I don't have to restart my computer. I simply close Smart SDR and then re-open it and everything is then good to go. Enjoy Dayton everyone. I will be in Europe so will miss out again.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    $7 Per Month is rounding error

When I ran a computer company we used to leave all our computers running 24/7 because it cost us more in damage done to the machines caused by thermal fluctuations and other unknown gremlins due to shutting things down and turning them on again.

YMMV but bottom line... being allegedly Green was just far too costly...
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes I have a GPS installed.
  • Paul Casper
    Paul Casper Member
    edited May 2015
    I have the same problem since upgrading to 1.4.11, except my 6700 radio never shows up in the start screen on my laptop.  I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1.  The radio shows up fine on my desktop computer, which is hard wired to my LAN.  Under SSDR 1.4.3 and earlier releases, my laptop worked fine.  I have no GPS installed.  I have tried recycling the radio, uninstalling/reinstalling 1.4.11, closing/reopening CAT, DAX and SDR...nothing works.  I could sure use a little troubleshooting help!  Thanks in advance.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It is probably a Firewall issue; some software on the PC is blocking the discovery network packets from being passed to the SmartSDR application.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    George - if you are still having an issue, please open a HelpDesk support ticket.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I occasionally have this problem when Parallels Access doesn't disconnect properly, or I lose a connection or the connection times out when running Parallels Access.  THen I must return to the shack, do a power-off reboot of the 6500, and a reboot of the desktop.  Then things go back to normal.  

(I really need to get one of those WiFi remote power buss switches that Howard uses, now that I am playing with remote more often!  I wish they had one that had a switchable AC outlet as well as a simple NO/NC relay with an RCA jack all in one unit!)

Ken - NM9P
  • Paul Casper
    Paul Casper Member
    edited May 2015
    Tim,

I checked my firewall allowed programs and all Flex programs are allowed.  However, I disabled the Windows firewall anyway, plus Windows
    Defender, and still no change.  I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Paul - open a HelpDesk support ticket.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...   Once the support ticket is submitted, a support engineer will be in contact so we can work on the issue.  Make sure to include your radio's serial number.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My problem sounds similar, sorta. - if I have ssdr running overnight on my computer w/ 4k monitor, the next morning the radio is completely locked up, power button doesn't respond unless I hold it down for several seconds. It also isn't broadcasting itself on the network until I power cycle it.  This is a 6700 without a gpsdo.  The weird thing is that if I have it running over remote desktop overnight on the same computer, I don't have that problem.  It's only when I have it running locally.  Maybe the increased resolution of 4k has something to do with it since the radio has to send more data? Dunno.

I'm about to (finally) put it in the mail for the pen update, feel free to check it out when it is there if it helps you guys find a bug.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.