Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR visibly freezes, but keeps working?

George KF2T
George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've had SSDR "freeze" a few times in the last couple of weeks. The 6500 continues to operate, and controls do seem functional -- but the panadapter, metering, and function status indicators don't show any visible action. I can click on things, and they work - just no visible response. Opening a new RX re-sets normal appearance. I'm not sure if it's a Windows 8.1 issue or not, although it seems I've had the problem since upgrading. But since SSDR 1.0 and Win 8.1 were released reasonably close together, it could be a coincidence.

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi George... I dont think its just Windoze 8.1 as I have noted the same thing numerous times happen with my 6700 since upgrading to Ver 1.0.0 SSDR. I just cant pin the cause on anything in particular so have been watching and trying to catch the cause. Actually I dont even need to open another slice as it clears itself in a matter of seconds. Running an I7 machine with 16gb ram, 256gb SSD drive and the video card (Radeon HD6850) specs out at over 2000 on the recommended video tests. But it is always driving 3 24 in ASUS monitors however. There are a couple other Ham programs running. Usually the DX4Win Logger, DX Atlas greyline map and ve7cc packetcluster. Also AVG 2013 security software in the background. Still not able to determine the SSDR Freeze yet though.
  • Bruce
    Bruce Member
    edited December 2013
    I've had one instance of a "freeze". The panadapter and noise display locked up about a week or so ago. No motion. I recall going back to connect and start over - has worked very well since. N5FD Robert Cline
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    What video card are you using and what is your CPU utilization? This sounds like a resource contention issue.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hiya Tim, Total CPU usage at the moment is around 15%, with SSDR at 9%. Running Win 8.1 (64 bit) with 8 GB RAM & a 3 GHz quad core. Video card is an NVidia 660 with 2 GB on board. I've got the power profile set to "maximum performance" so the machine doesn't go to sleep, shut down the USB or LAN ports, etc. Screens do shut down, however. Haven't tried disabling that feature to see what happens. I suspect something to do with the video side of things, since the radio is still working and the interface responds (just not visibly). FWIW, I also run LogMeIn sessions quite often, and have had the freeze show up upon returning to the PC after an otherwise normal remote session.
  • Bruce
    Bruce Member
    edited March 2017
    Tim, My comment about Freezing Up to George's question was not particularly useful as I didn't give any specifics. I'm running a laptop that is called a Gaming" machine. Op System : Win 8.1 Processor: Intel 4000 series 2.4 Gig t0 3.2 Gig in "overdrive" running @ 2,4 Video card: Nedia 7700M 3Gig memory bus speed 1600 Drives: HHD & SSD Screen: 17" Full HD. My 6500 has been great with a very few "gliches" or hickups (sri). The last one occurred this morning when I could not a start up display showing my 6500 in the select window. I shut down and restarted and all was well. Robert Cline N5FD
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    George. The "ah ha" moment was when you mentioned LogMeIn. This application loads a video driver "shim" mirror driver and there are numerous listings on the Internet about NVIDIA equipped PCs with video problems after installing LogMeIn. This may be part of your issue. Your PC, as described above, should not video rending issues. I would make sure that you are running the latest NVIDIA driver and as a test, you may want to uninstall LogMeIn to see if that makes an appreciable difference.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Bruce, the radio not showing up in the chooser is either a network issue or a Firewall issue. Looks like your issue was network related and the reboot resolved it.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.