SSDR V1.2.1 -- CW Skimmer Update?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I realize that the CW Skimmer widget that Ed / W2RF is working on is not part of SSDR.  But with the V1.2.1 release I thought it might be released (or offered for beta) around the same time. The picture below is from Orlando where it was shown in early February.  Can we get an update on the timing from FRS or Ed?

On a related note, are there any plans (not asking for dates) to integrate CW skimmer directly into the SSDR GUI.   Or maybe just a time frame for when the idea will be looked at for consideration.   After seeing the waterfall, it would sure be nice to see that one day.  Here is a link to the original idea and a picture below of the mockup.   

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Wouldn't this be nice!

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 577 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9129 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
I just talked to Ed W2RF.  The SDR-Bridge release plan is for v0.8.0 to be the version released as a public beta before Dayton.  I am sure Ed will make a post here about it when it is available.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
My experience of skimmer is it is quite resource intensive, more intensive in multiple instances than SSDR itself.  I can run SSDR with multiple slices easily on a $120 55w 2 core i3 with graphics internal to the CPU with no problem.  If I open up multiple instances of skimmer resource use goes way up.  Effectively for each slice you are invoking 3 waterfall equivalents, skimmer, panadapter and ssdr waterfall and the associated I/Q overhead.  In other words there is a lot of computing going on.   If you add additional station control software (DDUTIL DXLab Writelog or other contest software, even a browser playing a Youtube video things become very intensive and you start to visualize on the monitors load sharing across programs.  Normally this would be essentially invisible.   One of my interests is to understand how much you can do with the computer before it runs out of resources.

The whole point of going to SSDR architecture as I understand it was to make the client relatively low in its resource utilization as a baseline, and I think that has been accomplished quite well.  If you start bloating the program that will go away and you will be back to needing a full blown gaming platform to run the radio.  I think the approach of allowing each station to be able to fit the radio to the computing resources available be it low cost desktop, notebook, tablet or full blown multi-monitor workstation.  

To answer your specific question there is excellent progress on SDR-Bridge and its integration with Skimmer and Writelog.  Should make one hot DX/contesting platform.  Beta expected by Dayton.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 577 Reply Likes
Lee,
See the highlighted sections of the thread from the earlier idea posting  (pasted in below).  The idea of running the skimmer server software on the "radio" would support the long term goal of minimal processing on the client.   Essentially per Ed, the level of client processing would not change. 

I think this would be the holy grail and allow you to have a panadapter/waterfall/skimmer display over the internet and on your tablet, etc.

That would be a game changer.......thoughts?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
I had a Ten Tec Orion.  It was a great radio..  It was like the original radio specifically designed (using roofing filters) to improve the strong signal handling of the radio and beat the ARRL at its numbers game.  They creamed everybody PLUS they got to sell a LOT of roofing filters!  (At that time I was using a TS820 as my receiver design test lab adding roofing filters myself and rebuilding the front end to be unchrunchable.  My next door neighbor ran a KW on 75 and our antennas were 40 feet apart.  My favorite band was 80 CW)  There were a TON of feature requests asked to be coded into the radio.  Some of them were excellent.   Pretty soon the radio could no longer be upgraded.  Every time a request was implemented something else broke.  The result Ten Tec had to bring out a new piece of hardware which was basically the same radio with twice the memory.  It was a very bad design decision to make a software radio that ran out of design capability.  Elecraft hit the scene, the design engineers left TT and the company has been an also ran ever since.  

I sold my TT because of their stupid design decision and bought a SDR-1000 because it became obvious SDR needed to be done on a readily expandable platform that required something short of buying a new radio.  Since I got into SDR I've had a ton of fun.  The PSDR platform was virtually endless in its expansion capability but I think this radio is not.  I don't mean to be impertinent but you may have big plans for the capacity in my radio but I am far less interested in seeing the capacity wasted so someone can run a skimmer toy from the Walmart.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Xilinx chip is infinitely expandable in which case I withdraw my objection.  From what I understand of the platform what needs to be in the radio should be there (like things to make the radio totally reliable and butter smooth) and things that can live outside and be expanded to one's content should stay out
(Edited)
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 577 Reply Likes
Hi Lee,
Some see the CW Skimmer as a very nice tool for working pileups.  Alex VE3NEA did a great job designing and developing it and the Skimmer Server but there are always trade offs.  

Regarding the capacity question -- I think as long as the feature can be turned ON/OFF it would not impact current client display or affect the processing on the radio server.  The skimmer feature would be like other features (or modes)  that some people use and others don't. 

Does that address your concern for performance and architectural design?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com