Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR features?

Bill -VA3WTB
Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am wondering. In PSDR under panadapter there are many options like scop, Phase, Histagram, and more. Are there going to be those offered in SSDR as well?

Answers

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I also hope we can go back to the future. Power sdr has been great, my hope is smart sdr will surpass it.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm with you Dale.... There is a lot of PSDR stuff I really miss, Like the scope... Hopefully we will have all those PSDR features in due time.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    While I am a dedicated user of Panafall, I have never found the other options of scope, histogram and phase to be useful.  Perhaps it is because I only had a 1500 until upgrading to the 6500 and had latency problems that made them unhelpful.  On the other hand, Pan, Waterfall, and especially Panafall have been VERY useful to me and I would never want to be without them.

Can someone teach me the basic utility of these other functions?  What do you use them for?  and how?  I'm still young enough to learn some new stuff.

Ken - NM9P
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I miss all of the PowerSDR features that developed after the SDR 1000 came out as well, scope, histogram, etc. I would check for new features every day and remember the excitement when they came out. That phenomenon is what brought the 6000 series and other Software defined radios to the forefront. I do miss many of the features of PowerSDR; the variability (flex ability) of it all, It was as if you could open up your radio and change circuitry BUT with software, even change the color or appearance of your GUI. Patience is key and we may be surprised in that some new features will come out with the 6000 series that will completely **** us away, the hardware already is in place to accommodate great strides in software, this is why we are on board. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, I tooked  at my PSDR and found that most of if any of the options under panadapter are really useful. I can't remember using any of them much. I think Flex added them along with other featues to show what can be done in SDR software when they developed PSDR. In SSDR they are giving us the most important things for every day use according to what Flex owners have asked for. Keeping in mind in
    SSDR it is all about all out performance and not useless options just to impress people.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Ken
    In the digital and cw realm I agree that the waterfall is invaluable.... and you would never want to be without them, RIGHT.  Many of us are SSB guys and the other features of PSDR are as invaluable to us in the same way.... The scope and spectrum are a huge asset for SSB users..... They aid in setting up their audio as well as helping others set up theirs. and monitoring for problems with audio...IE RFI distortion etc... SSDR has more capabilities than PSDR  and the Flex6000 with its robust hardware, the possibilities are endless.  It just goes to show that certain options are  important for one group of users and not for another... no options are useless if you look at the total diversity of users that FRS has amassed with their top of the line products. I have been a FRS user for many years and don't even own a knob radio anymore...."Once you own the BEST you can't go back to the REST"

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree on Spectrum, and use it all the time for setting up my audio profiles.  I use a zoomed pan on the 6500 to the same effect, sort of, but it doesn't have a calibrated AF scale like the Spectrum in PSDR.

Pan, Waterfall and Panafall (my favorite) are invaluable.  What I have never gotten the hang of are Scope and Phase.  

I understand that Phase may be a throwback to the days when it was necessary to adjust the phasing and balance of the various mixer ports on the SDR-1000.  

Scope I never found had the resolution and speed of response to be worthwhile in analysis of SSB or RTTY signals.

Perhaps I missed something?  If there is a tool on PSDR that I have "thrown away" only because I didn't understand it, I would love to learn and recapture that tool.

Ken - NM9P
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Ken did you have a 300o or a 5000? The scope worked great on them. Reall miss it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have a 1500 and 6500.  I didn't think the scope function was all that helpful on the 1500, but perhaps I never had it adjusted correctly.  But I love panafall and Spectrum!  I sometimes monitor my 6500 on the 1500 when tweaking my audio (Like I need to do every time there is a software update)  The new DX processor is the BOMB!
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I agree Dave.... the scope works great on the 3000 and 5000....with no latency...that you have on the 1500...I use it 100% of the time when using my 5000 when using SSB.... that is probably the second most missed thing on the 6000 series... Profiles being # 1 ... can't wait for the next update so I can make profiles again... I hope FRS will eventually include the scope in the future...I also agree... the new DX processor works better that anything I have had before.... It just doesn't distort.... Again FRS is the Best
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I am primarily a SSB operator so the scope functions are very important to me. I kept the PowerSDR GUI on pana-scope all of the time. The transmit pre-distortion feature would be of great value to me as well. But, having said all of this I know this is my preference and realize that others have preferences that are different and more important to them, that is what makes the Flex radios of great value as they give the flexibility to supply everyone with the radio that best suits their choice of operation. This is why I have been a flex customer for quite some time, it's like the Burger King sales pitch "Have it your way" , I want to customize my radio from a multitude of choices. 73's Joe WD5Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.