Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR - AutoZeroBeat on CW click tune

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Add an option to AutoZeroBeat the signal when click tuning.  This would be generally helpful and especially useful when using CwSkimmer.  If you are off slightly,  CwSkimmer will not decode properly.

This is discussed in this related posting:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/sdr_bridge_cwskimmer_and_the_panadapter_shake

This should be an option as there will likely be some users or situations where AutoZeroBeat is not desired.

Tim E., 
I couldn't find a request for this but if it is already on the list, you can close this one.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
116 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    Good idea Al - I'm with you on this request having had similar results.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Great idea, PowerSDR has this feature and really nice.  I hope it is added soon.   Jim K4JAF
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    It is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned, the zero beat button is PowerSDR is great for CW Skimmer use in conjunction with a Flex, so I hope it is soon added to SmartSDR. 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Andrew and Jim,
    Thanks for noting that this is a feature of PowerSDR.    I wonder how many other feature differences there are between PowerSDR and SSDR.  I didn't have the pleasure of owning any of the previous Flex radios (before the 6000 series) so maybe this request doesn't make sense but it seems like it would be helpful. 

Does anyone have a list or chart comparing the features of PowerSDR to SSDR?   Or maybe it is a list comparing the legacy radios to the 6000 series.  (sort of like the list comparing the 6300, 6500 and 6700 features).   It would also be nice to know if there plans to add the feature to SSDR at some point.   FRS would have to fill in the last column but even just the list might be useful.  

Feature                                                            PowerSDR         SSDR         Plans to add to SSDR
    AutoZeroBeat on CW Click Tune            Yes                     No               Unknown
    CWX                                                                    Yes                     No               Yes, in V1.3
    etc

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I should also add that I know SSDR will have features that aren't in PowerSDR and also areas where SSDR is better, improved, etc.   So this inquiry is not meant to be negative in any way, just educational.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jlawson40
    Jlawson40 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Al. Good idea. I have used the zero beat feature of PowerSDR a lot. It would be great to have it with SmartSDR too. Another nice feature to have for us CW ops is the Save and Restore frequency of PowerSDR. John, W8AGS
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think that Zero on click-tune is a natural and logical way to implement it without using a button.  Have a time window during which it will auto-zero, then leave it alone so it doesn't mess up a weak one whenever a strong station is nearby.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
      Save and restore was a very useful feature.  You could make note of a
    frequency of interest (busy, weak dx), do other things, and easily return
    a little later to see if conditions improved.  A simple, yet powerful device.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    great idea 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    John and Ned,
    It sounds like the "save and restore" is a nice feature of PowerSDR.  Since it is not directly related to the AutoZeroBeat request it would be a good idea to add it as a separate idea so it could be voted up also.  It will get my vote for sure.

oops....I see that Ken just did add one!

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I like it. Where/how does one "vote"?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve,

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ahhh haaw & Duh...I've been wondering for a long time what "vote" meant. Now I know...Like! 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Votng is not very clear.   I submitted an idea to the software folks to change the labels and they agreed and said they will (no date given).   Here is what I suggested instead of LIKE. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I learned long ago why voting isn't clear!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Since Snap tuning came up again recently, this would be a good feature to add to V1.5.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    agree, one of the most wanted and usefull in the future
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    AutoZeroBeat would be especially helpful for use on the new Maestro console where tuning with your finger (instead of a mouse) will be challenging. 

Enzo recently added a related idea that may help get this done.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cw-feature-requests-message-repeat-timeout-and-cw-t...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW V 1.5.0.65
    SSDR V 1.5.0.145
    Win10
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree on the need for a zero beat function.  Auto would be even nicer.  When I was at HamComm in Texas this year, I actually asked someone at the Flex booth about this.  He is one of the programmers but I forgot his name.  He said at that time that this was in the works. Hopefully that is still the case.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide the option to add a slight random offset to the zero beat.  There's nothing worse than a whole bunch of callers in a pileup all precisely zero beat.  N1MM Logger+ knows all about this and gives the option to add a slight random offset to all spots that you click on.

Barry N1EU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

YES!!  I think I suggested this about 5 years ago.  Well...maybe two. :)  Click a sig in CW mode and auto zero beat + user selected CW deviation in Hz defined in the radio setup tab.  I think I suggested the former but not that latter originally.....but excellent point by Barry.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    YES as well ! Greg right, this topic was at beginning ....
  • Michael McGinty
    Michael McGinty Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like this idea for auto tune. I like the idea of being able to offset the autotune in a pileup. Maybe this could be done with the TxIT control.

I added two other ideas in a topic Better+CW +Options. Here they are for your consideration and comment.

1. A breakin mode that is not QSK. Some times the noise between dit and dahs is a distraction, especially during rag chews. On the few occasions that I use my linear, it can't follow QSK at high speed. It's an ALS-1300 without the pin diode switching mod. This mode should operate like VOX with easily adjustable delay.

2. Most of my other rigs have two different keying mode for the built in keyer, IOMBIC and bug mode where only dits are automatic. I like this mode because it allows you to put more character in your fist. In the bug days, I could usual tell who was sending by there fists. Aussies almost always stood out with a distinct accent. Today almost everybody sounds the same, very automatic. Mechanical bugs are almost always a problem to adjust, so I don't use them much today even though I have several.

Thanks, Mike W6MVM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For number 1, that is what the "Delay" does on the transmit panel next to the speed control. It allows you to customize how long the transmitter waits after the last character is sent before returning to receive. On some older rigs this used to be called "semi-breakin" mode.
  • Michael McGinty
    edited September 2016
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • Michael McGinty
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Ken,
    I tried the delay setting and it worked fine. Scratch that suggestion.
  • Chris Wesney
    Chris Wesney Member
    edited September 2016
    I have been using the zero beat feature with PowerSDR on AM for a long time. Its nice to have that in one click. I am bummed that it isn't in SmartSDR. I hope it is added soon.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I use it in PowerSDR in CW , usually to touch up things in CW Skimmer. I noted it was not in SSDR a couple of years ago and was surprised to discover that a zero beat feature is STILL not in SSDR
    Andy K3UK
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I would like to see this for sure, its been a request for three years.  Hope it gets implemented soon.

• dj3cq
    dj3cq Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    get used to it operating the K3, it's very useful for every cw op...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.