Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR 1.2 - WOW!

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Norm

If you have not used the 5k, 3k, or 1.5k then you really cannot appreciate the usefulness of the waterfall.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Norm,
    Others may have different perspectives, but I enjoy the waterfall as a way to get a snapshot of band activity over time. Fading, noise, and activity become easier to interpret with the addition of the time element. Plus, the intensity is easier to view (IMHO) as a function of color and intensity. 

Absolutely love the idea of a "scroll back" waterfall. Great idea when trying to pick out signals on previous transmissions and pounce on the next opportunity!

Not a big fan of the waterfall for SSB, but where I live on CW and digital, it's a big help. It does help more than the live pan adapter for adjusting the filters really tight.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is also very helpful on weak signal bands, dying and fading bands, and noisy bands to help visually discriminate signals from noise over time and see when there may only be a few signals active.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Even cooler would be if when you use the scroll back that you can also listen to the scrolled audio wherever the slice is. Greg
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Yes, indeed.  It records the range of band for 10 min auto-magically!!  And may make me feel so sad by telling me missing some rare stations.....
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Yes saw it an played with it a little at IDX this weekend with Greg and Tim.   Looks like that the AFP much better with 3db or more gain on peak and other improvements in algorithm in setting under DSP.  Lots of other nice improvements including the log awaited waterfall.  This was pre-release so expect lots of bugs found and fixed plus improvements before release version comes out around the end of April.

Thanks and 73,
    Carl / K5HK
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Helps a lot to -identify- the digital mode and tune properly.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Greg, being able to scroll back the audio along with the waterfall....holy moly what a great idea!  You need to post that up as a suggestion for future implementation.  That would be so awesome for stations that you can't understand their accent the 1st (or 2nd or 3rd!) time around.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    "Quick rec/play" is already on the roadmap for July. It would be cool if this recording included the displayed spectrum and not just the audio.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Then ,of course, there is the obvious benefit of more easily finding an opening on a busy Band when using Panafall and with proper delay and bandwidth adjustments the ability to recognize the presence of very very weak, and many times inaudible, signals.  However, its obvious also, that ymmv.

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I believe quick record will just be for the audio for a specific slice. I am referring to the entire displayed spectrum on the panadapter.
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    Wow, it would be great to be able to SAVE the last 10 minute snapshot.  There have been many times I wish I had a snapshot of what just happened or what I just heard.

Any idea if the last 10 minutes can be saved in a file and recalled later on?

Norm - KL7RS
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    FB on helping to tune the digital modes.  Scrolling back in time and replaying could be useful.

Norm - KL7RS
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    My 6700 is the first SDR rig I've owned so I have not had much of an opportunity to use PowerSDR with the older rigs to see the waterfall.  I'm learning on this one as I go.  Thanks for the responses.  I guess I'll just have to play with it a bit to see how much I'll use it.  I love the waterfall in DM780 and some of the other digital processing software.  I'm sure after I get 1.2 loaded and have been playing with it a while I'll get hooked and find I won't be able to live without it! hihi..
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

PowerSDR  has the capability of making IQ recording at 192 KHz for the 5000. Playing back the recording is unlike listening in real time in that you get the audio, panorama and waterfall. It is wonderful!

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Awrsome
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    Okay, now I understand.  This is going to be pretty cool....  Now all I have to do is figure out how to wait until the end of the month!

Norm - KL7RS
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    Does anyone know any of the bug fixes or other enhancements that will be addressed in v1.2?

Norm - KL7RS 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't know specifics about other bug fixes, but you are going to like the changes and improvements they made to the APF (Audio Peaking Filter) and the "Add Slice" function, especially if you do a lot of split frequency operation and CW DXing. 
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    They were running cw skimmer on two other slices on another monitor from the 6700 at IDX....  Glad I have 3 monitors running here should I decide to use them all for radio!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    If flex provided a way to minimize a panadapter it would ease resources on the video card and take up less room. When running skimmer server and having it send decoded spots to a telnet port there would be no reason to keep the associated panadapters visible. 73 Greg
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It's getting near the end of the month, so I'm starting to click "refresh" on the forum more often, hoping I'll see the new release posted. :-)  I assume it will probably be posted on the last day of the month though.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Robbie, we figured it was worth working to the end of the month and packing in as many features and fixes as we could.  So this is what we did -- we are feature complete at this point and are just fixing issues.  I expect we'll release right around the last day of the month at this point.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When one buys a 6000 series Flex Radio, Christmas comes twice maybe three times a year!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Steve, that's kinda what I figured.  Ok I'll stop clicking refresh every hour and get back to work at my day job. ;-)
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    A little birdie told me this weekend gone that we may get a few Easter goodies in the release at the end of the month.    Seeing as the Waterfall work is done - a couple of little extras from the roadmap down the road may be included.   Like I said, a little birdie who shall remain nameless.  But he could have been pulling my leg! :-)  
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I always found it of use early on a morning when the bands were just coming alive - you could see the distant stations before you could hear them.  So I would sit and stalk and always had a good chance of catching something rare before the crowd with the dials alone got them.

As the 5000 is now living a second life with a new owner - I have been waiting for this with great anticipation.   Time to get my stalking hat ready!
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I hear the beta is in good shape and the deadline is to have everything polished for Dayton..... can't really blame Flex for wanting to show the latest and greatest for Dayton. Increased sales benefits all of us!
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    We planned at the outset for SmartSDR to do roughly quarterly releases so January-end was our last and April-end is the end of a quarter's worth of work.  So we'll have v1.2 out a month before Dayton which starts on 5/16 this year.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Which makes up for those of us who cannot make Dayton this year - work stops play once again.    Can't wait!   Loved the demo that Tim gave me at RARS this past weekend.   He refused to put a copy on my USB key! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.