Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR zoom feature request

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

during the last CQ WW Contest I realized that the SSDR zoom feature is heavily  limited by the panadapter width. It can be a bit annoying  when SSDR window is not at full screen.
Since the quality of SSDR filters is very high it could make sense having a greater zoom factor when the SSDR window is smaller.
To better show you what I mean take a look at the screenshot below. The BW filter is setted at 50 Hz.
In the small picture window size it is 1280 pixels while in the larger one the size is 2560 pixels (it is the maximum resolution in my 21:10 monitor).
Even if it has no effect on the receiver quality I would find it easier setting the filter BW, mostly during the pileup.

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Answers

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I find the zoom a bit cumbersome to keep swiping the frequency scale left to right several times to get a high degree of zoom.  A zoom button (5X per click?) or a PowerSDR-like zoom slider would be nice.

Barry N1EU
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have an older digital camera that has both optical and digital zoom. If you zoom to the maximum optical zoom and aren't using the highest resolution of the CCDS, it kicks in the digital zoom to make the target appear closer. I think the panafall could be displayed the same way. Once you've zoomed to the max resolution of the Flex, you could further zoom until the panafall display corresponds to onex pixel per FFT bin, based on the width of the panafall.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2017
    Doesn't the + - symbols in the lower left of each panafall display already do what you want? I can zoom mine till the slice display takes up most of the display area. James WD5GWY
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    You can set up zoom buttons in DDUTIL macros  

DD6PBW0:.035;  sets the pan bandwidth to 35khz   You can adjust the banwidth to anything you like  or set up a toggle to switch back and forth between wide and narrow

Also

DD6PZM+;  DD6PZM-;  will decrease zoom and increase zoom respectively

DD6PBW0:.019;DD6PCF0; will center the pan and set pan BW to 19 of slice 0

I use a CTR PAN button to center the pan and set a standard BW, a PAN 35khz button to increase the amount of screen real estate displayed fro 19 to 35 khz amd a PAN+ and PAN- to quickly step BW up and down  

73  W9OY
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I mopped the DDUTIL<Zoom Macros to a Genovation Keypad So I can zoom in and out at the push of a button
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks James!
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DD6PBW0:.035;  sets the pan bandwidth to 35khz   You can adjust the banwidth to anything you like  or set up a toggle to switch back and forth between wide and narrow
    Does it mean that you can override the maximum zoom factor of SSDR?
    What happens if you resize the SSDR window?
    Btw I'll give a better look at the command protocol.

Thank you very much
    73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Hi Enzo These are api related commands so their range is the limit of the api. 73
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok, the point now is clearer.
    On my notebook the limit I can reach is
    C1937|display pan set 0x40000000 bandwidth=0.004920 autocenter=1

Anyway it has a different layout if the SSDR window is maximized or resized.
    Panadapter isn't zoomed in if I try with the command
    C1937|display pan set 0x40000000 bandwidth=0.002460 autocenter=1

What I am trying to point out is that the same bandwidth value has two different effect if the SSDR window is maximized or resized. Just like in my first picture example. (I am sorry for my not perfect english)

73'
    Enzo
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here is an idea that lets you have one panadapter set wide to show the full band and a second one that is zoomed in. The slices are locked.....you can click tune in either panadapter and the other would follow. Wonder if this would be of interest... https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/****_slices_idea_to_synch_up_2_slices?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Can Flexcontrol be setup to zoom in on the current freq, first press one of the buttons, then rotate the dial , that would be a nice feature

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.