SSDR Version 1 bug fixes

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
It seems to me that the big feature of SSDR 2.0 is network support. That's not of interest to me as my home internet won't support remote operation unless I pay the ISP an additional fee for a static IP address.

Is there a list of which pending items are candidates for repair in a future 1.x SSDR release? I saw a thread posting where a change in 1.10 actually reduced performance of the 6700. Will that be undone or do I have to pay for the 2.x upgrade. Similarly, will the timing issues associated with CWX macros and WinKeyer emulation be addressed in a 1.x upgrade?

How will SSDR 2.0 upgrades interface with the iOS product? As you know, it's virtually impossible to downgrade an iOS app. Will there ba an upgrade to SSDR for iOS that will force me to upgrade SSDR on my radio (and pay)?
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 510 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Please add if the DAX TX audio distortion that happens at random will be fixed.  Got nailed by that several times during a RTTY contest and since there is no FSK option, this problem really needs attention.

At least for me . .

Cheers
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
@Mark

Not sure why you think V2 needs a fixed IP?

DuringDayton mine was demoed to be working without a fixed IP

Not sure how Marcus is going to handle V2 registrations

But SSDR for iOS worked great on V2 at Dayton
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I work 100% remote and just have a dyndns address
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 510 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I guess I should explain my Internet situation. I'm using a wireless internet service. The ISP has an access point on a tower about 5 miles from my house and I have a small dish pointed at the AP. The IP address between my house and the AP is in the 192.168.x.x range. I have no control over the router at the AP. I've been unable to get a VPN working as well as echo link as I have no way to route any ports to a specific port on my network. Do you think SSDR 2.0 would work in this environment? When I asked the ISP about setting up a VPN, they told me that I could do it by purchasing a static IP from them.
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Ok. They are using a NAT from a single public, out to many LAN (subscriber) units. I am very familiar with this. Yes you would need a public stativ or atleast a routable public ip. Not sure how much they charge for a public static. Ive got a multisite Hytera DMR system here in Illinois on commercial freq. Ran into this with a few of my sites. They charged $10/mo. Due to IPV4 static getting scarce, a lot of ISP's are using this procedure to harvest public IP's.
Basically if you pay for a static public static IP, they will setup a NAT from that public ip in their router, to the LAN ip they asign you on your subscriber radio. Then you would put your router behind it with say 10.10.1.1 and turn on dhcp and use bridge mode. Im good on qrz if you need further assistance. Be glad to help. Ive been in landmobile radio and wireless ISP for a few years.

Do you have a friend/neighbor/family member within a few miles line of site? You could use some Ubiquiti Airgrids or Locos and do an internet "sharing" arrangement with them. I have a path going 13 miles from a repeater site of mine to a remote site (where there was no internet) with these radios. Works flawlessly. Most cable companies are still handing out public dns ip's. You could use dyndns instead of a public static., at their house, then shoot a path between your houses (Ive done this too). I use DYNDNS at my home qth and softether to run my 6500, 100% remote.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 510 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info and offer of help. The ISP wants $20/month for the static IP address. It's a service they offer for gamers. They don't allow using it to host websites. I guess the remote Flex would be more like a game than a web server. I just wonder if I would use the Flex remotely enough to justify the additional charge. Even with the Maestro or the iOS app, I usually operate next to the Flex.

The reason I use this ISP is that they are pretty much the only choice around here. There is no cable or DSL available. My neighbors are in the same boat ISP-wise, so sharing with a neighbor wouldn't gain anything,.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3761 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
You do NOT need a public IP if they allow UPnP pass through
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 510 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I'm checking on that?
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 215 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Are you operating over the internet with a public access point; provided by your city at no fee to those residing in that area?
Reason I am asking is; our city planner have proposed a similar plan. So, I may reject their offer. 
Photo of Bob Brown - N8OB

Bob Brown - N8OB

• 90 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I guess that I am in the same boat as Mark.  I have NO use for remote connectivity and it won't work from my wheel chair with my Kindle.  I just operate next to the radio and computer
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
Howard, that isn't correct.  Let me explain what is required.

Mark, since toy have no control over the Internet router for your wireless service and I suspect that you will not be able to get them to configure it for UPnP or add port forwarding to it and your end point us currently double NATed, you will need a public IP address that can be assigned to a router that you control.  In addition, it will be easiest if your router supports UPnP so that you will not have to manually configure port forwarding.

Now, based on the amount of data that will flow through the connection (.5-3 mbps), your ISP might consider it a "server" and balk at it.

Regarding 1.x bug fixes, there wasn't anything added to 1.10.x that degraded the performance of the 6700.

We are planning a substantial bug fix release that will also include several performance updates (technically not new features, but enhancements to existing features and functionality).  Of the items you listed, there are fixes that cover issues related to CWX and the WinKeyer emulation.

Regarding SmartSDR for iOS question, the 2.x versions work with SmartSDR v1.x and 2.x.
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 142 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Mark,

You just need to go here: https://www.noip.com

and use their free DNS service.  You run a small piece of software on your PC and it takes care of the rest.  You just refer to the free domain name they you define through them and your are in business. 

Hope this helps,

Harold
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
Not only that his ISP is using carrier grade NAT, just like wireless LTE carriers do so he gets a 192.168.x.x address at his router. He has no inbound access to public IP space. Unfortunately this is a disturbing trend which will become more common as IPv4 addresses become more scarce. 

IPv6 would probably solve this though, but ...  ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I just wish they would fix the Squelch...... it don't work cause flex is the ONLY radio I can find that don't have one!