Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR v3.x - FT8 and an iPad

David Hickman
David Hickman Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in New Ideas
I have been asked how to be able to use an iPad to work with FT8.

This works best with the multiFlex in v3 but works fine in v2 with little settings changes.

1. Get SSDR and FT8 working well on your laptop local to the flexradio.  There are several how-tos out  there for that.     

For me I have a dedicated FT8 profile that keeps all of the FT8 settings in there.  I set up a dedicated com port for FT8 and connect to the FlexRadio as a Kenwood TS2000 with using CAT for TX.

Play with this until you have everything running well in Slice A.

2. Test the laptop in smartlink mode. Take it to a friends house and things should just work.

3. Get back home and set the iPad up for use. Get it working for voice.

4. Once working, change the profile to FT8.

5. On the laptop start up DAX and CAT only.  Do not start up SSDR ( you can  but that is a different topic.)

6. Set DAX and CAT to use the iPad when asked.

7. Start up FT8 and things should just work. 

8. Take the setup back to your friends house or a McDonalds and connect both via smartlink. It should just work.

I usually set my iPad/Maestro as low bandwidth and the laptop as normal bandwidth when operating digital modes via smartlink.

This will also work with V2.x but you will need to play with the settings more often and the streaming does not work as well.

Have Fun!

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Creative and thank you for the write up. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    FT8 application on Ipad?
  • David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    none that I know of.  Use the iPad as a portable console.

• Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How are you seeing the FT8 application on your the iPad?  Are you using a remote access program?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.