Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR V3 and memory overwriting TX Band Settings

2»

Answers

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill your statement "one of the purpose of this feature is to protect from overdriving an amp" . That's one thing it's NOT doing, matter of fact it's just the opposite, it causes overdrive.   Anyway, I think we beat this thing to death and what comes out of this is, Flex must make this a enabled option, not force it on a OP as the default with no way to disable it.   I have back leveled my 6600 back to 2.4.9 as this feature I can't stand.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Can you help me understand if you have the drive levels set per band how it is over driving?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you read all the comments made above you will see what we are talking about.  Both Gary "NC3Z" and myself made it very clear.  These settings are not fixed in the DB, they are changed on the fly by whatever the status is in the software willy nilly. 
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you set the Drive by Band to say 25 and then you recall another profile (say one for no amp but 100W out, or a memory) then that drive level is now inserted into the Drive by Band matrix. So now in place of 25 you now have 100. Some amps only will take 20, 30, 40W max.

In V2 it was very easy to just recall a profile, and if the profile was changed SSDR indicated this with a *

Bill, you can easily see this happening, give it a try and see what it does on your end.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok, see I don't have V3, I did not know the Tx  on the fly panel over rides all profiles. I thought each profile had it's own panel.
    I am going to pick Kens brains about this and see his take on it.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Just update and see for yourself and stop relying on hearsay. 
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill, yes it over rides all, that why I do not like it. V2 profiles were superior.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok Gary thanks,, maybe Ken can chime in here if he stops bye, He digs deep into this stuff and I trust his comments. I would think if other testers are having problems flex will re visit this.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    "One of the reasons I have no desire to "upgrade" to v3.  Not being able to turn that "feature" off is silly, imo." -- Tom N5MOA

Agreed, they've effectively taken away the Profile save feature, such that if you make any session change there's no easy way to get back to your previously defined and saved profile. I wonder who decided that was a good idea to spring on everyone with no previous warning.

Which begs the question, will this new "feature" be in the next v2 release (assuming there will be any next release)? I sure hope not, I was looking forward to a number of fixes of several current long-standing bugs, and I don't want to have to pay the price of giving up a long-existing feature just to obtain some hoped-for fixes.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mark no features added to V3 will be back ported to V2.5
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I went back to ver 2.4.9 till they smarten up and fix this.
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I still don't get the logic that this was intended for the contesting community. As a casual contester, and as a member of a big contesting club, I don't know any hard-core contesters that would want to make what is effectively a permanent alteration to their operating station mid-stream in a contest, but this is exactly what this does. Once you change something, it is now a permanent part of the profile unless you take an even longer time to locate an archived profile file and reload it to undo the change. Previously, it could be done with just one or two mouse clicks. This logic makes no sense to me.

Nothing new in v3 that I needed even though I do like the MultiFlex. However, this one change really messes with my operating process and defeats the whole purpose of profiles to begin with, so back to v2.4.9 for me as well.

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    "Mark no features added to V3 will be back ported to V2.5" -- Bill VA3WTB

Bill, 2 questions:

1)  Do you work for Flex? I ask because you have a history of speaking as though you're privy to factory information that the rest of us don't have access to.

2)  If you don't work for Flex, then why do you post statements that only Flex representatives should rightly be making? As just one example, 10 months ago Michael Coslo posted a question in a thread relating to the cooling fans, asking specifically what the fans are lubed with at the factory, and you replied, "3&1 oil is fine".  That's misleading, because you're not a factory representative - I know you're not, because I've seen a post by a Flex representative stating specifically that you don't work for Flex or represent Flex.

So do us all a favor and stop pretending like you speak for Flex, because you don't.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've said those same words before.. Only Flex employees should be speaking for Flex
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mark,,,That was a statment from Flex. But they can change their mind.  And NOPE

I did go back and found my reply as to the kind of oil used at the factory. I did not say the fans are lubricated with 3&1 oil at the factory. This was a cary over conversation in an earlier thread were I suggested servicing the fans first with a drop of oil. He asked what the fans are oiled with at the factory, and I said 3&1 oil is fine.

That should clear up your misleading comment, Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I opened up a HD ticket on this and after some back and forth this is what I got back from Flex:

"The analysis of your Helpdesk support incident has concluded that the issue you reported is a possible software defect. I have transferred this issue to the Engineering/Software Development group and placed it in their bug tracker for further analysis.

This issue has been logged as defect number: GH 7368"

This is focused on the issue of a memory recall over writing the Power by Band settings.

As for the profiles being permanently over written on any change, well we will see if Flex considers fixing this. I, like many responses, are hoping for this.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I posted this in another string so I'll put it here as well in the hopes flex is watching.  

There's another feature or change they made.  In TX or MIC profiles is a button that says "reset" what the **** is that for?  I tested it and it creates a additional profile named "Default" so then you have 2 profiles named default.  Additionally you can't remove any of them.  OMG flex, are your software engineers drinking on the job?

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here's the email I got back after opening a ticket about the profile issue.  Apparently they are watching cause I did not say anything about switching versions.  Which has nothing to do with it.  This issue was prior to any switching of versions. 

Sorry to hear that it seems like your TX Profiles are disappearing.  Can you tell me more about what you are doing between when they are present and when they are gone?

We are aware of an issue where if you jump back and forth between v2.4 and v3.0, you may experience data loss with profiles as a result of the database schema changes.  For this reason, we recommend exporting your settings including your profiles prior to jumping between v3.0 and any versions before it.  We would also recommend that if you are going back to v2.4 from v3.0 that you do a factory reset followed by importing your settings that you hopefully exported prior to upgrading from v2.4.  This will allow you to go back and forth without losing data.

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    With new PGXL installed it would be great if the TX band setting tables were two, one when the amp is in operate and turn the AMP Operate green please, and seconds table when the amp is in standby and turn the AMP Standby yellow, please.

Since the are autosave values now in version 3.1.8 I know DDUtil can do it but I have a second app to load and a second button to press to change the TX band setting table from with PGXL in operate or not and DDUtil doe snot have a PGXL profile yet in most resent download V4 for multiFlex.

The SPE Expert 2k-FA handled it well using the Kenwood protocol so was surprised the FLEX 6600-to-PGXL did not work that way.

Cheers Russ K5OA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.