Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR V3 and memory overwriting TX Band Settings

Gary NC3Z
Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
OK, so I have a couple of Transmit profiles setup, 1 for driving and amp and one bypassing the amp. In there I have drive power for the amp (around 20W). If settings get changed then a simple revert to the given profile brings everything back.

I upgraded to V3 and now if I recall a freq memory, whatever power level I had in the memory overwrites the power setting in TX Band Settings. There is no alert that is is changing my profiles. Not a good thing at all. How can I prevent this from happening? This needs to be fixed.

Gary NC3Z

Answers

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary,

This is covered in the release notes and is a "feature:"

TX/MIC Profile Changes – all settings are now saved on-the-fly (as settings are changed).

I'm with you in preferring the old way of doing it. The whole idea of Profiles is to allow a quick recall of a set of operating parameters from which you can adjust, as necessary, but which you can always return to with a click of the mouse.  Now, once you make a change, your profiles are done for.

I'm sure there was a reason for this, but I sure can't figure out what it was.

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dang, this is not a good thing. So why have the feature of a band by band drive level setting but then have this over-written? This was a bad move Flex, at least let us choose to have it do this.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I thought the same way but after a bit I understand how it works,,, I love it
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So, how do you use this during normal operation to return to a known set of parameters -- a baseline if you will -- once you've made a change to one of those profiles during operation?

I'm all for innovation and am quite willing to adjust my operations if it is beneficial and I understand it, but I'm just curious how you're making this work for you.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It does not change the way I use the profiles. When we save the profiles a file is created that we can always bring back anytime. What I like is being able to change the little things without having to sift through menues to find them, thay are all there in on place. 

If I mess things up to far, I just bring back my saved profiles again, all fixed.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I was wondering the same thing!  This makes no sense to me.  If I call up a particular mic profile and make any change to that original profile it is now updated on the fly and the original is lost.  I can no longer load it....  Unless I restore a previous backup.  I don't care for it! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill - How are you doing this? 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    When we save a profile, it creats a file,,this file is never changed. The profiles in the radio change with this save on the fly,,but the profiles file stayes the same. When you want to bring back your original profile select that saved file.

You can keep that profiles file on a thumb drive if you want to.
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So, basically the same as before, but with the added step of having to load from a file rather than simply going to the menu and selecting a profile.  Not a major change, but still why that has me scratching my head a bit to understand why it was done.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think it was contesting driven, Seting the radio up for a contest is easy now having it all in one panel. And now little changes can be applied and saved on the fly not taking the attention away from the operations. Now unless you make big sweeping changes you could simply bring up the panel and change a setting back.

It is also important for a station to set RF power per band on the panel as an example.
    All your profiles stay much the same as always, depending how many things you keep changing on the on the fly panel, If you don't change things much then your profiles will come up as you left them.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill, your talking about the Import/Export to bring back a profile?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I agree, this was not a good move.  I have had a flex in one form or another and this is by far a feature that should have the ability to enable or not.  I have been having problems with my TX profiles I create disappearing which I contribute to this NEW feature.  If this was done for the contest community, thats a SMALL part of the consumers for a flex radio.  Again, this should be a enable or not feature.  Also who's bright I idea was it to have a TX profile be overwritten automatically?   **** move IMO... 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    In my early comments I was refuring to the Import/export,,,yes,,,it just fetches a saved file to Import.
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This is covered in the release notes and is a "feature:"

TX/MIC Profile Changes – all settings are now saved on-the-fly (as settings are changed).

One of the reasons I have no desire to "upgrade" to v3.
    Not being able to turn that "feature" off is silly, imo.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This would not work for me at all. I use 2 different amps. One uses 50 watts input while the other uses only 3 watts - 50 watts would fry it. I control the input via profiles.

While I'm not going to upgrade to V3 I still must be concerned with this "feature" as it most likely will be carried forward to future versions of SSDR.

Having to import the profiles after a slight change to get the settings back is ridiculous to say the least. 

What's the point of having saved profiles if they get changed all the time?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary, I hope I answered some of your questions. This feature may not be for every operater. I don't have it because I am still in V2 were I think I will stay. But from the information I have read, and going by comments from Ken it seems to be a nice addition.
    It looks like the best part of it is how you can set each band up for what ever RF power you want for more than one amp.

Anyways it is interesting times...good luck.
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill,

Up near the top of this thread you said that you "love it" in reference to this change in the way profiles are handled, but now you say that you don't have v3 and don't plan on going to it.

So, you don't even have to deal with this "feature" which begs the question: how can you love something that you don't use. . . that you don't even have?

Color me confused.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Lol, sorry, I know what you mean...
    I have talked to Ken and he has done a lot of research on this subject, I like what he explains about how it works, but he said it takes getting used to.
    Also I have talked to a few alfa testers as well and they talked about things they had concerns about, but afer using it a while they have come to understand it better.

So from what I learned, I love what it does. Sorry about the confusion.

I guess it's the same as some saying it sucks but have never used it either.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Unbelievable, how in gods name can you have an opinion on something you never used and just go by someone else's thoughts?? Are you kidding me???  As I said earlier in this post, the largest part of the flex community is NOT contesters and therefore would not make use of such a crazy feature you can't turn off!!  Don't make judgments on something you never used. OMG!!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You can have an opinion on this even if you are not going to upgrade to V3 because this "feature" will no doubt be carried forward. Sooner or later when you upgrade to a future version V4, V5, etc. you will have to deal with it.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Wrong, you can't have an opinion on something you never used, thats just nuts and if you think thats okay, your just as clueless.   How can you say something is good or not if you never had it or used it??  Listen to what you are saying. He said he loved it!!  How can you love a feature you never used????????
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The sourses I talked to are very trust worthy, they are worth listening to.
    They explained how it works, I think It's a great Idea based on What they said.

And as pat said we can have an opinion even while vever using it.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This is like talking to the wall.  I use to evaluate software and hardware for big blue and if I did my job like what you are saying, I would have been shown the door.  Do you drink the kool aid too?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I never used a brick as a flotation device by I have an opinion that it won't work.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That comment is idiotic. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thats ok, I respect your opinions, both of you....
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill - Yes you answered my questions. I understand what they did BUT I do not like it, I really liked the concept of the drive by band, but this overwrite kills that feature.

Flex, are you monitoring? Please, please give us a way to turn this off. Twice now I have seen my drive level too high because the auto save over wrote.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary, one of the purpose of this feature is to protect from over driving an amp. It will follow the drive level you set in the Tx panel for that band. It will change that setting in your profile as it should.

Your profiles are still what is running your radio as far as settings go. That is the reason for over write, you change settings if you want to in the settings panel on the fly, but your operating with the profile you sellect.

It is a different way then your used to, but soon I think you will understand how it works together.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well the way this is now implemented it has the opposite effect. Sorry but this "new" V3 feature is not good. It is a danger to over driving an amp as the presets are over ridden by several things including recalling a memory.

I clearly understand how it works and I do not like it. I understand to bring back a profile I now need to do an import, a  big step backwards in my opinion.

You may like the way V3 is doing this, I do not.

I have profiles setup for driving and amp, one for no amp but 100W, one for Digital. And they get all over written when they should not. I can not accept the way it works now, and it defies the manual with this "feature".
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wonder who's coming up with these feature ideas? Was it a software engineer? Did any customers request this feature? If so how many?

Flex needs to get more in touch with the wants/needs.that appeal to the majority of the customers and not just a certain few.  Just look at how many people either don't like the new version or are just buying it to support Flex. Does that spell satisfaction?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.