Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR V1.6 New Issue with USB Serial Converters

USB Serial Converters No Longer Work Since SSDR 1.6 Install.  First issue noticed was DDUTIL V3.2.2.05 no longer would control my KPA-500 and KAT-500.  My Com Ports for the KPA-500, KAT-500 and also my Rotor are no longer there after install of SSDR 1.6.   See device status of USB Serial Converters listed below:

Microsoft Windows 10 reports a recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged.... 

The three missing com ports were Com21, 23, 27

This issue was not there prior to install.  Please advise?? 

Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If you are referring to Shared virtual com ports, they are no longer support in SmartSDR CAT v1.6.  A third-party virtual serial port software package that supports a null modem connection will be required for use with DDUtil.  
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited March 2017
    That's  big news...  Are you saying we can no longer use DDUTIL to control an amp?   What does Smart SDR CAT have to do with three com ports on my computer.? Prior to SSDR 1.6 I had three USB to serial com ports on my computer,  one was for the KPA-500 AMP,   another for the KAT-500 auto tuner, and a third for a Rotor.  They never were shared with SSDR Cat.   SSDR 1.6 has caused them to no longer work! 

This still isn't clear to me.  Please advise further???  Thanks...

Cal/N3CAL  
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Cal,
      I can't address your problem directly, but can say that USB ports on my PC do control may KPA/KAT correctly with 1.6.17 and Win10-64)..  I would guess that maybe SSDR CAT might have overlaid its com ports with exisiting hardware ports.   Look through your device manager for port conflicts ( including hiddenports)

AL, K0VM
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wait for Tim W4ME to further explain.  I know what he is on about, but don't have a super quick way to explain it.  It is a a SmartSDR CAT improvement that changes how you set up your ports.  

Steve K9ZW
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited March 2017
    Al thanks for the reply,  I had no hidden ports or any conflicts with port numbers.  It looks like SSDR 1.6 install somehow removed my USB ports and showed a driver issue under USB Serial Bus Controller section??  I went back and uninstalled the USB serial converter drivers.  Then had to manually re-install them.  They now seem to be okay and DDUTIL is working with my AMP, Tuner and Rotor now.  

Cal/N3CAL
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    The FlexControl uses an FTDI chipset and I suspect when we uninstalled it for the upgrade it effected your USB serial ports.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Since I no longer contest, it seems 1.6 is not for me.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @Dave Don't give up so easily There are lots of non contest oriented improvements in 1.6.17.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is a big issue it effected me as well. I went back to 1.51 and am happy I did.

Going back to 1.51 is a problem as well took me several hours to get PTT working correctly again.

Ian
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I no longer contest either
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Like?
    How about a contest filter?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    uninstalthe USB serial converter drivers. Then manually re-install them.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This is a very typical problem.  My good old 2013 FTDI USB serial port drivers get replaced as a result of new software install and Windows brain-dead brilliance forces replacement of the FTDI driver on all USB serial ports and the newer "better" FTDI driver breaks the pre-existing FTDI ports.
  • Ken - WA8JXM
    Ken - WA8JXM Member
    edited January 2016
    But how long will it be before we are told "we no longer support 1,51, you need to upgrade"?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not to be piling on but...that is another reason I don't like Windows. Do I understand this correctly, the 1.6.17 install touched previously configured things it didn't own?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do you not sleep Howard?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I, obviously, cannot speak for FRS, but I believe one could make the stmt with 1.6 out they already stopped supporting 1.5. Independent of answering questions, they most likely will not be producing fixes against 1.5. This, in contrast to, continuing to support 1.x release after 2.x is out. 1.6 is a 'point' release in the 1.x series. The arrow moves forward not backwards. 1.x, i n contrast, is a major release, as will be 2.x.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The, related, question I have is will problems identified in 1.6.17 be resolved in 1.6 or will they be fixed in 2.x, requiring people to pay for the fixes, by purchasing 2.x?
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It didn't for me but I've had this issue in the past, specifically when I installed a Microham Microkeyer - I had to go back and deal with pita Windows not wanting to reinstall the old FTDI drivers but I eventually prevailed.  This issue did NOT come up for me in the v1.6 SSDR install - it left my old FTDI drivers in place.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    @Walt
    Most likely 1.7.x be my guess...

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Part of our rationale for working to optimize the radio for contesting is the belief that the radio will improve greatly for all types of operators as we work on contesting -- since contesters are some of the most demanding operators for both performance and workflow capabilities, what we accomplish for contesters will benefit others as well. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

He does, but at night where he is travelling.  Remember he is our wanderer!

I chose to install a multi-serial port card rather than doing USB-Serial converters, based on past woes with even very high end USB-Serial device drivers.

Steve K9ZW

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would normally agree with that except for a comment Steve made that sounded remarkably like after they release 1.6, which they just did, they would pivot to full steam ahead on 2.x in earnest. I took that to mean 1.6 was it. This was in the context of a 'final' 1.x release JUST dealing with the known 1.x bugs, no enhancements, no features, no squelch, just clean up. Whether that is 1.6.18 or 1.7 is irrelevant to me. I would go for the former as there would be no additional features warranting a change to the release number (Version.release.modification). But, nobody there has asked me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.