SSDR V1.3.8 -- do we need to unistall and re-install CAT?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Steve,
The V1.3.8 instructions discuss un-installing SmartCAT.  I thought that un-installing CAT was no longer needed when there is an update to SmartCAT.   This excerpt below is from a previous post by Tim E.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/having_issues_upgrading_to_smartsdr_cat_v1_2_17

....you will not have to do it (uninstall and re-install) for any subsequent SmartSDR CAT upgrade unless there is a driver upgrade, which is not likely.

Does this update include a new driver or did I misunderstand?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Abed - AB5ED

Abed - AB5ED, Alum

• 49 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Official Response
There is not a new driver, so you will not have to uninstall and re-install SmartSDR CAT.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Thanks Abed,
Install complete and I can already see a lot of nice fixes have been included and working fine.   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 316 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
     Easiest installation so far.  Some nice fixes.  Transitions from CWX to
keyer is smooth.  All seems fine.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Good update. DAX seems much more reliable, 6300 now shuts down within 15 seconds. Looks like some bugs got swatted BIG time. Thanks FLEX
Photo of Mike W9OJ

Mike W9OJ

• 104 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Worst update so far for me. Panadapter jumping up and down and audio dropping in and out. Blank spots in waterfall corresponding to panadapter movements. Audio still present after shutting down SSDR. Uninstalled and reinstalled with no improvement.
Had been running 1.3 but decided to go back to 1.21. Maybe need a better computer.

73 de Mike W9OJ
Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Bummer Mike, I'm assuming that these problems didn't happen on 1.3?

If you went back to 1.21 did you remove CAT and then reboot first?

Could be a network problem. Are you direct between the radio and the computer or through a router? If through a router (which generally makes life easier (for me anyway and others I have read about)).

I would suggest the following but I'm using my gut so apologies in advance.

Remove all SSDR components (SSDR, CAT, DAX...) and then shut down your computer (not restart). Then reboot your router so that it comes up clean (even if you have the radio's MAC assigned to a specific IP) or you are using DHCP.

Reset the radio (not sure which unit you have) by holding, pressing, whatever is required. After the cycle is complete, shut the radio down, then remove the DC power for a short period (20-30 seconds is more than enough), plug power back in.

Bring up your computer and then install V 1.3.8. When complete, bring up the radio and let it do the upgrade cycle as you have done previously.

Assuming all goes well and the radio appears on the SSDR startup screen - start it all up and see if the problems have cleared.

Other things to check (in case the above does not work):

Make sure you have the latest driver for your network card

Check that your router has the latest firmware

Check to see that power saving is turned off on the network interface in the computer (via Device Manager) also see if the speed/duplex is in "auto-negotiate" or set for 1.0GB Full duplex or whatever speed your router and NIC can handle

Make sure all automatic scans and background services that use a lot of resources are either finished after boot-up or disabled.

And if nothing works, I have one last secret I use...I take an old hard drive (I have a few I keep around) and a very big hammer, go outside and make your offering to the Gremlin King. At least you will get some outside air and enjoy the process.

All ideas, suggestions and remedies are offered without warranty and if asked I will deny anything listed above unless it works.

Good thoughts towards you in Indiana from WWA land.

Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
nice job, Jon!   73, w5xz, dan
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1557 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes

Mike W9OJ - what is your computer's spec, operating system and do you run more that the SmartSDR/DAX/CAT?

I had similar issues when overtasking an old PC (WinXP box), running too many programs at the same time, and having forgotten to clean up the background "crap" that was running unneeded beneath the surface.

I had decent luck even with a marginal computer when I cleaned things up and streamlined what was using resources.  I also throttled back the FPS of the averaging to great benefit.

The Radio orphan audio cleared when I did a radio full reboot and full reinstall in the cleaning up process of the PC.

GL OM and hope it sorts quickly for you,

Steve

K9ZW

Photo of Steve Miller

Steve Miller

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
The update went smooth for me. It's almost midnight here so I am going to see if there is some off prime time DX out there. I might just give FLDigi a work out to see how DAX holds up.

As always, Flex, thanks for the upgrade.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
The release announcement says CAT has to be uninstalled first in the upgrading SmartCAT section, but the release notes say it only has do be done if the version of SmartCAT is older than 1.2.10. The release notes also contain a procedure for uninstalling SmartCAT with a version of 1.2.11 or greater.

This is my first SSDR upgrade and I want to do it right.

Does the install clear all previously set up COM ports?

To uninstall or not uninstall? That is the question.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
Do not uninstall CAT

This question was already answered

See reply from Abed of Flex above
(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Missed the 'employee' tag, <face palm>.
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I uninstalled everything because I have always uninstalled everything when I upgrade and it is very simple to do. My SmartCat indicates in the title bar that it is version 1.3.8.0. The version number may be the only change, but this is reason enough for me to uninstall the older version.

(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I have always found that if it is really necessary to uninstall before upgrading, any developer would incorporate the uninstall routine in the uninstaller. Failing that they would have the uninstall advice in BIG LETTERS somewhere obvious, hi hi.
Photo of Abed - AB5ED

Abed - AB5ED, Alum

• 49 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
For anyone using SmartSDR v1.2.11 or greater:

Uninstalling a previous version of SmartSDR (which will also uninstall the corresponding SmartCAT) is fine to do as well.  As Robert mentioned, installing SmartSDR v1.3.8 will install SmartCAT v1.3.8 for you.  This new version of CAT can coexist with older versions.  If you'd like to uninstall an older version (v1.2.11 and above) later on, the uninstaller will work just fine.

The important thing is to not manually uninstall "FlexVSP".  This is the underlying CAT Virtual Serial Port driver and keeping it on your system has shown to increase stability.  The SmartSDR installer will take of this for you.
(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Just a thought. the default path for SSDR install has the version number in it, so a new install does not overwrite an old(er) install. I remove version numbers so my SSDR is installed in a SmartSDR folder and the upgrade will be installed over the previous version. Is this okay?
(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 887 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
You can do this, but I would not recommend it.  By leaving the version numbers in place, it allows you to jump back and forth between versions should you ever have a reason to do so.  The versions will coexist on your machine without a problem.  You can imagine how many versions our develops have installed -- I have 31 on my desktop right now.  :)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Hi Eric,

I would rather downgrade if required rather than have loads of versions installed. I do keep the old installers handy.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 887 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
Whatever floats your boat.  That way works too.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Upgrade this morning before leaving for work.  Unfortunately didn't have time to play.
But the upgrade seemed to go smoothly and quickly.  Not a hitch.