Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR stopped working after windows update today.

2»

Comments

• jean claude
    jean claude Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for this message. :)))))))))))
    The hard reset was the solution after the issue due to windows7 update of yesterday.
    The sdr was wrong and did not worked on all my computers.
    I also removed all files about smartsdr in c: and reinstalled smartsdr
    Best 73  from F6eju  France

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited March 2017
    There are no flex files in (x86)... only in program files.. already have done all these things.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Howard - while we normally do not provide operating level assistance via the HelpDesk, why don't you open a HelpDesk ticket and see if we might be able to provide some assistance doing one-on-one support.  I can't guarantee any results, but we might be able to stumble onto something
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited November 2016
    ok.. not sure what has happened, but after going back and forth with windows restore, and turning the computer on and off, I am back to normal. everything seems to be working again. I didn't change or delete anything. guess I somehow cleared out whatever was causing the issue.  btw, that revo uninstaller still does not see the flex software... let me reiterate, I hate windows!
  • jean claude
    jean claude Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Happy for you Howard !!!!!
    I am also happy not to have sent back the device to my supplier for nothing.
    Thanks Tim for the help.
    F6EJU    jean claude
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    Meci
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2015
    ok here is an update to this ever frustrating issue..the problem has struck again..flex software works fine on a remote computer but cant get it to connect on the main system. it sees the radio but when i try to connect, the program becomes unresponsive.    tried all the things i did last time .  even upgraded to windows 10  . same problem  . im starting to think its not windows after all . is there something in the flex box that could possibly be an issue?  why would remote work fine but local software not ?  any ideas? this time there were no software changes or updates. just rebooted the computer and here we go again.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

You have described what SmartSDR does when on a different subnet.  SmartSDR should not hang until a timeout but return with some form of "Not Available" message.

Discovery will see the radio and indicate the IP address but SmartSDR will hang if you select that radio.

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2015
    it shows not available when im on the remote.  but when im not, it shows it as avaiable..  please explain further.  thanks
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

This is a screen shot when I disconnect the network cable, power on the radio, then connect the network.  i.e. Radio came up without a network DNS and assigned the base address which is not on the same subnet as my PC. 

If the radio is selected SmartSDR will hang (IP Address is 169.254.6.81 which is not on my network as 192.168.0.****, as compared to the following when the radio is started with the network available (See IP Address:) as now 192.168.0.102

Selecting Available will bring up SmartSDR correctly.

• James Whiteway
    edited August 2015
    If you have a multi-port router, try switching to another port. I had a similar issue and switching ports worked. Or maybe a hard reset of the router will fix it. Had that issue too once. James WD5GWY
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh join the club brother!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is normal behavior. If you power up the radio with the Ethernet cable disconnected, it will not get a DHCP IP address and default to a link local IP address (169.254.x.x) which is not on your network.  The radio sends out broadcast based discovery packets on your network after you reconnect it and they have the IP address of the radio in them, which is why you see the 169.254.6.81 IP address.  If your radio and PC running SmartSDR do not have IP addresses that are not on the same IP network (subnet) they will not communicate.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2015
    im getting an ip 169.254.170.235 on both the remote and local computers   i guess thats not a good thing?    however  no cable is disconnected   windows 10 is telling me i have no internet access   meanwhile i am typing this message on the computer  so obviously im connected    strange happenings  
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    How is the radio connected to the pc/laptop? Do you have both wifi and cat-5e to the pc?
    The 192.168.x.x is the std non-routable address range managed by a dhcp router. 192.254.x.y is a non-bridged address. So it could be you are directly connecting the pc to the radio (bad) AND have a wifi (via router) connection to it. The two would show up intermittantly as the list box contents is based on serial so if SSDR saw two versions of that serial number it would list the one, as the key to the entry is serial which would be identical. Does that make sense. So I may have given you enough information to know exactly what the issue is or merely explained why I ask those questions....again:

1) how is the pc/laptop connected to the network/radio as the two may well be different.
    2) do you have both wifi and cat-5e (ok, or 6) connected on the pc/laptop.

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited November 2016
    I am confused.  because everything had been working for months then all of a sudden a few weeks ago something changed.I connected the box to the computer the way the flex instructions stated.  so I know physically things should be correct.but why is windows 10 telling me I have no connectivity? You are seeing this message so I'm obviously online
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    1) how is the pc/laptop connected to the network/radio as the two may well be different.
       a) how is the computer connected to the network?
       b) how is the computer connected to the flex radio?
    2) do you have both wifi and cat-5e  connected on the pc/laptop?
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2015
    walt i am actually 1200 miles  from my station.  i was trying to do everything remotely.  but i dont really remember what the physical set up is because i did it so long ago. if i cant correct it over the internet then i will have to wait till i get home.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Fair enough Howard. I believe you will find you have two connections to the radio, one via your router that serves up 192.168.0.m DHCP addresses. This was the second screen shot. The other connection via Windows itself. You  actually have Windows configured to be, yet another, DHCP daemon. There should only be one on your network. 1Assuming you have a router you need to turn off DHCP on Windows and let the router handle address resolution. Yes, the 169.254.0.0/16 is a Windows assigned IP which is broken. Microsoft calls it Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing.

I explained why you periodically see either address, the good 192.168 and the bad 169.254 in the prior post.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you can remote into your machine you should be able to turn off DHCP on the Windows box.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2015
      where would i find that setting on windows 10? when i type dhcp it just shows my lan connection but i dont see any setting for it in properties
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't do Windows. It may well be a default in Win10. I invite someone familiar with Win10 to step up and provide Howard assistance in this. An alternative is turn it off in the router, which I would argue against.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Tim - Yes the IP assignment process is normal, the SmartSDR long wait (appears as hung) could be significantly reduced or eliminated by comparing the target IP address with IPConfig information to determine if it is in the same subnet and/or shortening the time to a timeout condition.

@Howard - You noted your address as 169.254.170.235 - whatever was changed has prevented your 6000 from finding its network DHCP, normally at your gateway address (192.168.0.1 or similar).  That is unlikely your 6000 or windows box. 

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You have to have the subnet mask of the host (radio) to properly calculate the network boundary and that information is not available.  Only the IP address of the radio is broadcast.

And a host self assigning a 169.254.x.x IP address is a DHCP fallback mechanism when the host fails to receive a DHCP offer request after sending a DHCP Discovery packet.  The host must be configured for DHCP for it to even get assigned a link-local IP address (169.254.x.x).
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I do Windows.  I'll try to help.

Howard: Let's start your problem description from the beginning, please (lots of people have jumped-in here, so I'm confused).  Would you be so kind as to describe your network configuration (what connects to what, what's remote and what's local, and when it's remote how it's connected) and what your problem is specifically.

I'm sorry to try your patience this way, but it'll give me the best chance of helping you... if I can!  Networking can be very tricky, even on non-Windows boxes.

Peter
    K1PGV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.