Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR stopped working after windows update today.

After a windows update today, the flex software no longer is working. It recognizes the radio but as soon as I try to connect, the program stops responding. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, trying to downgrade, even going back to another time before the update. Still no good. The radio works fine remotely on my tablet, so the problem is obviously with my main computer. I hate windows. HELP!!!!

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like you need to back out the update using the restore point Windows makes by default whenever an update is applied.   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/system-restore-faq#1TC=windows-7
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited December 2019
    I did that.. didnt make a difference.  That was the first thing that I tried
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Try using the Revo Uninstaller to remove all versions of SmartSDR, reboot and try to install the latest version.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    trying revo.. it sees every program but ssdr? something is really **** up
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greetings Tim!...You´re right...I had son PC problems last week-end and finally solved removing all old version and reinstalling SmartSDR 1.4.16...

Good Luck Howard

George 
    YV5WZ
    Venezuela
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    thanks.. it appears that perhaps ssdr isnt installing correctly.. maybe thats why revo doesnt see it?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If SmartSDR is not installing correctly, it is because Windows is not allowing the proper elevation of rights when the installer is run or there is a folder level permissions problem.  Both of these would be Windows issue at the core of the problem.

What version of Windows are you using?
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    windows 7 pro
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    That OS version shouldn't be a problem.  Is SSDR the only program having issues?
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    just tried installing again.. no luck.. the revo program installed no problem. so why would this program have an issue? even though ssdr says its installed, revo does not see it. dax appears to be the only part that loaded properly. cat and sdr are unresponsive.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    yes.. no other issues with other programs.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Windows is a fickle beast.  Not sure what the root cause could be, as it could be one of a gazillion things.

You may want to go back further in the restore points until you get one that works.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

I had a prob w/ dax being recognized awhile back. This was also coincident w/ a win 7x64 update. Different but similar. Windows started to recognize dax once again after I reauthorized dax w/in firewall settings.

I am still running 1.4.11... and just did latest win 7x64 update. SSDR working as before. Perhaps looking at windows firewall settings for SSDR and SCAT might benefit your situation.

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    ugh... will try again.. but why only effect ssdr?  will go back further and try
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    some people just don't let it update,,is that possible?
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have the same problem. From cold boot on the computer, I cold start start the 6300. Quite often this fails and the radio will not connect. Turn off radio, restart Windows, and then bring the radio back up in that order. Most of the time this works unless the Flex Control fails to start. Do it all again and I'm in business. I took the time today to reset the radio to factory. We'll see how that turns out.

Roy - W5TKZ
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    the ssdr just isnt working.. not the radio.. its the software.. went back to an earlier restore point. same issue.  ssdr sees the radio but when you try to connect, it freezes and doesnt respond.  Im going out for some air.. 73
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Windows is fickle? It never caused anything in the house to just turn off, Flex is a great company but I think you do not consider as much as you should you have to work with Windows, Windows does not have to work with you.

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    just an update....  I re installed ssdr again. with radio off ssdr, cat, and dax all come up and dont have the "stop responding" but when I turn the radio on and try to hit the connect button, everything crashes. dont know whether this adds or takes away from my mystery. also, REVO uninstall still does not see any flex software.... :(
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Had a windows 7 update today but no problems with SSDR.  Which 6K series are you using?  Have you done a hard reset on it?  Let it start up and then hold the start button down again to reset all the parameters in the radio?

Good luck, don't think I have heard of this one before...  73s Jim

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I can't believe I just did that.
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Recommend you look at my post "Flex 6500 connect problem". A Factory Reset( Push and Hold the OK Button while you Push and Hold the Power Button ) got me back on line. Good Luck Tom W4FAS
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited March 2017
    the 6300 only has one button   what else is there to press?   remotely, everything works perfectly..
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Power off the radio. Press and hold the power button until the power LED turns white and flashes. Then release the power button
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi Howard, Do a search "Flex 6300 Factory Reset" There is a message from Tim and a message from Gerald that may help you.. Tom
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    And it is in the hardware manual too.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    Ive done several hard/cold reboots (resets)... doesnt matter.... remember, if im remoting from a different computer, the box works fine...... its the windows software...ughhhh
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You're right.  It's something in Windows.  I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.  I also saw the issue of Revo not being able to see SSDR.  I solved it by doing a system restore from a point about 3 or 4 days before I did the update.  I still had to do an uninstall via Control Panel and a full reinstall.  After that, Revo was able to see SSDR and my system has remained stable 24-7 for at least two weeks.  No more patches to Win7 for me.  I'm waiting to test Win10 on two of my other computers and if that proves OK I'll think about trying it on the hamshack mainframe.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited July 2015
    well, already tried going back... let me try to go back further... but you seem to be the first person with a very similar problem. doesnt matter how far back I go... oh well... guess have to wait for Windows 10 to download... any day now....
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You might try uninstalling AND removing  all versions of SSDR. After the uninstall(s), delete the "Flexradio Systems" folder from the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"  folder on the C Drive. Once all traces of SSDR have been removed, reinstall the latest version.

If something has been corrupted which isn't normally replaced during a normal installation, this might resolve it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.