SSDR other than MultiFlex

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
I have no interest in MultiFlex. Is there any other reason to upgrade to SSDR 3? For a single operator is there anything that can be done with two screens that couldn’t be done with just one screen?

Have there been any improvements in CW operation using the Maestro?
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 411 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 287 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Flex claims to have fixed QSK in V3.  I have not upgraded yet so I have not verifed if QSK is working properly.   They also fixed the audio stuttering with spots in V3.  Again I have not verified that.  There may be some performance enhancements as well.  I suspect they tweaked the audio subsytem to perform better? 

Read the release notes and changelog for clues

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v3_changelog/?wpdmdl=5183&refresh=5cadf0ed6a0131554...

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-v3-0-19-release-notes/?wpdmdl=5184&refresh=5cadf0ed...
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 287 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Of course you can wait until V2.5 comes out latter this year to get the fixes and performance enhancements.
Photo of Rolf Auras

Rolf Auras

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The a.m. link opens my 'Deutsche Bank' App!!! What happens here??
Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 90 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I rarely use a second slice on the Maestro because it splits the already small real estate.  I have been using SSDR displayed on one of my two monitors as a second slice since installing V3.  It is far more usable than a 2nd slice on Maestro - which I really like for the operational convenience.

Keith - AC9S
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 194 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
I as yet have no use for 3 but insofar as QSK it seem fine to me, a mostly CW op. Using 2.4.9.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
One thing to consider with 3, and the only real reason I've not upgraded yet (entitled but not installed), is compatibility issues with other products. In particular, we know DXLabs is not 100% compatible. SDRBridge is being upgraded but, if I understand right, fragmented into a V2 and V3 supporting version. I believe DDUtil is also locked into V2 at the moment. I've heard of work being done on SliceMaster. I think NN1M is not affected because it doesn't make API calls.

One future feature of V3 that might be interesting is mirror mode. If I understand this correctly, I would be able to get the benefit of large screen 4K panafalls and all the computer software while controlling the radio from the Maestro. I'm not really sure how this use case would work out. Maybe I can transfer my QSO from SSDR to Maestro and walk away with it?

It will probably be 3 to 6 months before I would consider updating. So much in motion at the moment.

Kev N4TT

Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 90 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I agree Kevin,  Mirror mode is what I am really looking for.

Keith - AC9S