Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR on MAC & Linux & soon Android without a Virtual Machine! A free trail is available. Testing n

Bob - W7KWS -
Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
For the Linux & MAC fans, two pieces of software called CrossOver may be interesting to you.  It's available from www.codeweavers.com as a free trial.

Their WEB site says it will run Windows software under either the Linux or MAC OS without an emulator.  They claim near native speeds. 

I think they do this by executing the Windows code directly on the Intel or AMD hardware and CrossOver just takes care of the interface between the Windows code and the hardware.

The best part may be coming around the end of the year when they do a preview release of their latest development, CrossOver for Android.

I emailed them and asked if this would be limited to Intel based Android tablets.  The response was that they expect it to also run on Intel based Android phones as well.  The Asus Zenfone 2 is just such a phone with up to 64GB of memory and 4GB of RAM.  $299 on Amazon.

I haven't tried any of this as I only have Windows and Android on ARM hardware here but they do offer a free trail of their current MAC and Linux product and I'm hoping the Android preview will be the same.

Maybe some of you will try the free trail and report back. Hopefully SSDR for Windows will run well.

Comments

• Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    CrossOver has been around "forever". The also contribute code to WINE, so buying a CrossOver product supports WINE.

Good to see they're still around and going strong.

Jim
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Supporting WINE is good. For those that don't know, WINE is 'WINE is not an emulator'.
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    And GNU's Not Unix!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    But if you look at how well WINE works on some games, it isn't at all clear it would do well at all with ssdr.
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I think that's one of those highly application-specific "It Depends" topics.

Unless and until somebody actually tries it, and reports on it, it's pretty much anybody's guess.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yep, I agree. I tried that once and even simple things looked ****. In looking at what they had, esp at the gold level, it was a handful of games. And it even looked like Windows. I would have expected at least Linux decorators.

I've done a SSDR native (and truly portable) implementation/redesign.

My goal is to eliminate any need for Windows, at all. I am partly there but it is like layers of an onion. Ya peel back one and there is another one underneath it.  It'll run on Linux, Windows, Mac, Raspberry Pi (I am not sure what that buys beyond bragging rights). 

Not sure how long I am going to have the radio though, If I want to eliminate Windows,, I merely have to eliminate the requirement to need Windows. I've been approaching it the hard way.
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    If I could run PowerSDR on Linux for my 5000, I'd ditch my Windows PC, or put Linux on it.

I've been running Linux on my "daily driver" PC since about 1995.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I tried Crossover but could not install SSDR 1.5.1 since that software is dependent MS .NET Framework which Crossover would not load. So I guess we've got a ways to go before we able to run native code on a MAC. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I suspect psdr does not require .net 4.5.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DogParkSDR, my friend. An excellent alternative to SSDR on a Mac. Limited to two slices at the moment, but improving rapidly. It's already my daily use interface.

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bob...  I mentioned your net.framework issue to CodeWeaver.  Best I could determine is that 4.0 is required for SSDR so it appears that they do have limited support in CrossOver at this time but it has to be added separately and may not be adequate. This implies possibilities to me.

Their response follows.  See the screenshot they sent below that:

"Do you know what version of the MS .NET Framework you were trying to install?  We offer installers for many different versions of .NET that can be added into a bottle to support an application (see attached).  You do need to agree to the .NET EULA. 

Now… .NET (especially .NET 4 or greater) is not well supported in CrossOver, but we do have support for ‘some’ key components, and we use the MONO implementation for other key components.  The Linux version also has .NET support (same as the Mac), and I believe we plan to have .NET support in the Android version (but I’m not sure we’re far enough along to state that definitively)". 

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    SSDR 1.5.1 needs .NET Framework 4.5.2
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Bob,

The response from them is below.  I'll check on potential progress after the Android preview is released in a few months.

"That’s rough.  We do have some .NET 4.5 support; but again, it’s spotty.  We are in the process of supporting a couple of other .NET 4.5.x applications so its work we are doing.  It’s again incomplete at the moment.  Let me know if there is anything else you need from me at this time.  My best regards".

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.