Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR "mirrors" Maestro with Stacks 3!

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
First of all Big Thank you to author of Stacks3 !
Based on the post below, I was able to finally "mirror" Maestro and SSDR !

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-v3?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=20180598#reply_20180598

This is the most desired features by many HAMs, but not sure if it was covered here and if I simply missed it.

I posted a video on the performance, however I can only use it in a "mirror" or "sync" mode on Slice A.  I cannot make a 2nd Slice (B) to do the same as A. Can someone confirm if you can make 2 slices on SSDR to follow Maestro? Here is the link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xfAWhVzVVXDY_tRFTj032J_1RlxFymYq

Here the feature desribed on Stacks3 website:
 "Sync Client Slices feature will keep clients' slices in sync with each other. The purpose is to allow the use of Maestro as a control surface for SmartSDR when co-located. You must not bind to a client for this feature to work".
I am not sure what "co-located" means, same band?

I think Flex should have this feature a long time ago as this make Maestro usable with Big screens!

Sergey, KN7K

Comments

• Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I also want to thank the Stacks3 author for the ability to mirror a slice between the Maestro and SSDR.

I tried to set my 6700 to SO2R mode after successfully mirroring a single slice using Stacks3, but everything went haywire. The PTT was clicking madly and the only way to regain control was to change to a single slice preset.

Maybe it's something that can be fixed, but I thought I should at least raise the issue so everyone's aware of it. In the meantime, I can either stay with Maestro only or use the 6700 as Radio 1 (with mirroring) and my Yaesu FTdx5000 as Radio 2. The latter definitely has all the knobs and buttons a ham can possibly want. ;-)
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    co-located means SSDR PC and Maestro located in front of you at same location.

I have a 6700 with 3.0.27

on maestro 2 panadapters with one slice each A and B

on SmartSDR 2 panadapters with one slice each A and B

Sync with FRSTACK and slice A on maestro controls slice A on SSDR 

same with slice B on second panadapters

smartsdr controls maestro also, they are sync'ed

You can have  A and B slices on one panadapter also
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Larry,
    Thanks for the info.
    I could not work it before, but may be sequence was wrong.

Eric, please try that sequence, seems like it works:

1. Start SSDR abd Maestro
    2. Open 2nd panadapter on SSDR and Maestro
    3. Setup slice A to 6m, slice B to 12m on SSDR (can use different bands, this is just what I used).
    4.Maestro Slice A to 6m, Slice B to 12m
    5. Stacks3 set to "Sync Clients"
    So far it is WORKS !!!, but need more time for testing.

Sergey, KN7K

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The Client Sync'ing features works fine here.  Once again, my hat is off to Mark!  Thank you!
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sergey,

Many thanks. It does work this way until I open N1MM+ for logging and control and try to switch focus. Then some funky things happen - both slices seem to go to the same band and PTT clicks rapidly with flashing screen. The only way to stop this is to close N1MM+, but then the Maestro and SmartSDR seem to have lost sync. I suspect I'm pushing things one step too far.

If I open N1MM+ with just Maestro or just SSDR, all is well. I can toggle from one slice to the other and everything seems to be happy.

73 de NC6K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well, I still testing 2 Slices and believe there is an issue here.

While I successfully listened 2 bands independably few hours ago, I just got to the radio this evening and on slice B (12m) changed band to 80m.

While I changed band on Maestro slice B, everyting getting in confusion, here what I see:
    1. There are some clicks inside of the radio during the switch, lasting 2-4 sec.
    2. Antenna Genius confused as it shows Slice A and B on the same antenna with red color (not permitted by my settings).
    3. Maestro shows A -6m Wide, B-80m wide
    4. SSDR A shows 80M (80M band but A in the right side of panadapter/in the corner pointing to 6m band
    5. SSDR - B still shows 12m.
    So, while 1 slice performance is good so far, there is something wrong with 2 slices (2bands setup).

Again, maybe I am doing something wrong and would like to hear from others who tried it.

Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, see my post below.
    Something not reliable with 2 slices and I cannot make sence of it yet.
    I did not try with N1MM yet, just trying to learn and understand the logic.

Sergey, KN7K
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think our responses overlapped. Yes - 2 slices is problematic, especially with any other rig control software involved.Clearly, this will work eventually, but for now, it's definitely not suitable for prime time. 
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    A key reason I bought an M model, rather than a 6400/6600 and a maestro, was to use the provided HDMI connector for large screen mirroring (no PC necessary).
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Neil, I got 6600 and Maestro as I see this combination has more benefits (for me) compared to the M. For each it’s own, right? Sergey, KN7K
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Absolutely, Sergey.  If I had a strong need to operate remotely from the radio, I would have done the same thing. However, I think some don't take the HDMI connector into consideration when making the choice. 
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have a 6700 that I bought several years ago, so no option other than to use SSDR with big monitor. 

On the bright side, I have set up N1MM+ with bandscope and am using Maestro for control. That gives me 95% of what I need (readable band display with spots and the ability to use the real knobs and buttons on the Maestro).
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric,
    Could you share your n1mm settings either here or in email? My email is at qrz dot com
    One more things to experiment - I was changing bands from SSDR last night and that could confuse my antenna setup. Need to try to change bands from Stacks where I have saved settings per band and mode. Also, not sure what to choose at Stacks3 in sync mode: on the left side you choose Active - Maestro or SSDR, I think it does not matter in Sync mode, but need to test it.
    I will not have much time today, going out till late evening.
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tried again few different scenarios, here is the one that I do not understand:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1leWewgcVvF8YxfVIsr8zDc_rsjQe14i_

See what happening on the 2nd panadapter.

Larry, W8LLL could you please share more details on your settings.

Thanks,
    Sergey, KN7K

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    No special settings, I duplicated what you showed in the video and see exactly what your seeing. A small move of the B VFO knob on the maestro brings the 12 meter slice back into view.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Eric / All,

Can you tell me what the status is on Mirroring with Stacks3 and N1MM+ now?
    About to install those softwares on a new PC and would like to go in with eyes wide open.

Thanks,
    Clay N9IO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.