Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR frequently does not remember previous state when restarting

William Hein
William Hein Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
SSDR frequently does not remember previous state when restarting. After a normal shutdown and computer reboot SSDR will re-open with no slice receivers. See pic.

Comments

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    When you say "After a normal shutdown" are you pushing the on/off switch briefly just once and seeing the shutdown message or are you holding the on/off switch until the Flex shuts down. Per Tim's earlier posting https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/shutdown-issue-maybe  the latter is a Linux forced shutdown and maybe the problem. Linux forced shutdowns are a step above removing power but can leave applications in funny states.  There are multiple postings on shutdown issues and Flex has been chasing for awhile.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is a common occurrence here, with various states of amnesia. I also have a third shutdown situation about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. I briefly press the power button and nothing happens for about 60 seconds, then the rig turns itself off.
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am shutting down SSDR not necessarily powering off the Flex 6700. Do I always need to cycle power on the radio itself when rebooting my PC?

Bill AA7XT
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No.

By the way, it is a good idea to give your 6700 a static IP in the network. I also give my SDR PC a static address as some other programs rely on that too.

Regards, Guy
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    That's usually a Linux housekeeping event - where the Linux code in your radio some times goes through various machinations as it shuts down
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Simple Answer..  You do not usually need tor reboot the computer when you power off the radio... However.. Guy's recommendation of a fixed IP does simplify things for your computer when it looks for the radio
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It would be handy if there were some feedback that something was going on - the LED stays solid as if one has pressed the button and the press did not register. Until I realised something was actually happening, I used to force the shutdown. Also, this situation is not mentioned in the manual AFAICS.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What's the procedure for assigning a fixed IP to the radio?  I've seen it mentioned, but I'm not sure how to go about it.  I'm using a Netgear74 Router.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You set it in your router. You'll have to check out the manual. You likely will have to reboot the router for it to be applied. If you need further help, please let us have the model number and where you are located - the same model can have different numbers in different countries.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    In the screen shot, the GUI believe that there are no slice resources available on the radio and therefore cannot create a panadapter.  This has nothing to do with IP addresses.  This is a "state" issue with the GUI and the radio not agreeing on what resources are available and we have a defect entered for this behavior.

You should not need to power cycle anything after a normal shut down.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Rick Look under settings. Advanced in ur router Then Setup. Then LAN setup You shud be able. Assign a Fixed IP to a MAC address of ur Flex
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Actually your PC does not look or query for a radio on the network; it is a passive listener.  The discovery protocol is based on the radio broadcasting its availability and it cannot do so until it acquires an IP address, either from DHCP or via a link-local IP address.

If your DHCP lease times are long enough, the radio will always get the same IP address, assuming you haven't rebooted both your router and the radio.  In my network, I have the lease times set for 4 weeks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.