SSDR Data speeds

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I've seen some Flex demonstration videos where Steve Hicks has mentioned that data speed requirements between Maestro and a 6XXX radio are directly proportunate to the display's update speed setting(s). However, when changing the "FPS" & "Rate" sliders in SSDR from minimum to maximum, I see no apprecialble change in the "Remote RX Rate" or the "Remote TX Rate" in the "Network Diagnostic" dialog in SSDR. Both seem to stay between approximately 70 & 75 Kbps.

Shouldn't SSDR and a radio act much the same as the Maestro/6XXX combination?

What am I missing here.

Thanks!
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Official Response
That is only showing the audio data rate in Remote mode.  That says the remote audio for the radio only takes 70-75 Kbps.  

You should bring up the Windows network monitor to watch the changes in total network traffic based on display frames per second settings for the panadapter.  You can also change the waterfall settings or completely close the waterfall to see what that does to traffic.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thank you, Gerald! We look forward to seeing you in Dayton. Best regards.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Following Gerald's lead I looked at the total SSDR data usage. With the "Rate" slider all the way left at its slowest but with the waterfall visable & the "FPS" slider all the way left, the reported SSDR total rate is around 25 KBps or 200 Kbps. This works out to ten hours of operating for 1GB of Verizon data usage which runs me around $10 on my prepaid Verizon LTE plan. $1 an hour is OK with me since methods such as remote desktop & Team Viewer use up the data much faster.

SSDR runs pretty well over Verizon LTE with ping times around 65 msec here in Seattle. On Cricket LTE, which uses the AT&T towers, the ping times are around 235 msec. I believe this is the reason the connection is not usable for SSDR despite there being 8-Mbps of speed.
(Edited)
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 356 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes

Make sure of the Big "B" vs the little "b" KBps Vs Kbps.

A little research before your Cell phone data plan gets data used up.

Setting used in the picture was with the waterfall completely shut down but FPS @ max.

Program used was piriform Speccy at the same time with windows 10 task manager open.

Want to Add am using 22 inch monitor so with laptop 17 or less data rate will be even less.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure that I've got the B & the b correct with a multiple of eight. I get results like yours with FPS at maximum but my post above refers to it being at minimum for 25-KBps.

I'm using an 8.3", 1920 X 1080 monitor which is the same number of pixels at any size.
(Edited)
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 356 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes

Just to let other`s get how it works.

You can shrink the ssdr window down and even stop all things and get even lower rates. Pretty neat how it all works.

73 Jeff

Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
That's a good idea. I'll try it tomorrow & see what I gain. Like I said, $1 a minute is quite acceptable but having a usefull waterfall would also be nice.

By the way, DAX has been removed from this Windows 10 tablet. I didn't check it before to see if it impacts data rate when installed but not being used.

Best regards Jeff!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
DAX will have a significant impact because the audio stream is un-compressed to provide lossless data for digital mode operations.  REMOTE audio uses the Opus codec and compresses the audio streams, so the impact of it is less.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim!