Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR and 6400 - public firewall setting on v1803

Options
Lionel
Lionel Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
This may be old news to some but this morning SSDR (.33) was not seeing my 6400; it was fine last night.   Earlier I made some changes in the sharing setting to network to printers, but I do not recall touching the firewall settings though advanced sharing does have a Public settings section. Sharing in the Public profile has printers and files, and network discovery are off.
After ten minutes of "oh no!" I turned off all firewalls (Domain, Private, Public) and voila the 6400 was connected. Then turned each back on in sequence and found the Public firewall when turned on disconnected the 6400. 
The solution was in the "allow an app thru the firewall" setting.  SSDR shows up twice in the list, probably as intended, but the box for public was not checked.  I checked the box, turned on the Public firewall and the 6400 remained connected.  This option does pop up during a new install of SSDR - private is allowed, public is not, apparently by default.
Paragraph 37.1.2 gave me a clue regarding the firewall though it does not mention the Public firewall.  My default is to never allow an app thru the public firewall on a computer; inbound or outbound without good reason. 
The 6400 is direct connected to the computer with SSDR.
Why would I need SSDR as an allowed app through the Public firewall for the 6400 to direct connect to SSDR? This is W10 v1803.  I do not recall this issue in v1709.

This is probably a case of, "did you touch it??" but nevertheless I got bit.

Answers

• K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Is the radio on the local network?  If so, it sounds like your local home network has been switched to a public network.  Otherwise, that shouldn't affect it.

Unless you're using SmartLink and it's not on the local network.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yeah, it was and is on a private network-direct to the PC via ethernet cable.  When I first looked at the firewall all three were on, the firewall on public was the issue.  The radio is showing a 169.254.x.x IP and 255.255.0.0 mask.  The ethernet adapter is on the same subnet. 

Its working fine but I had to allow SSDR thru the public firewall.  I don't know why. 

It could be MS trying to "help" me.  Or, I have something set wrong in my network.
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Just an FYI.  A 169.254.x.x address is usually assigned to a windows machine that fails to obtains an ip address from a DHCP server.   

ie, there is a problem with the radio obtaining an ip address from your DHCP server. 
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

I have had a couple of computers  over the last couple years with updates change with windows 10 updates to Public firewall.

Click on which one you want/need and change and reboot.

My network is fiber to the home FTTH  so I think windows thinks its extended public.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Windows or something else changed your active Network Location from private to public.  This had nothing to do with SmartSDR.  We configure the firewall setting to only allow access through the firewall when the Network Location is Private - the correct setting for your local LAN.  

This is shown by the setting AA0KM has shown above.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I didn’t believe this to be SSDR: all was fine until 1803. I have seen several unexpected changes in settings upon v1803 upgrading. In particular, the share settings between two PC’s in the same workgroup became an issue, as in, stopped working. I think the behavior of the public network profile and it’s firewall is an indication that my network settings are incorrect, a general problem rather than SSDR specific. Still, the seemingly sudden failure to find the radio can be baffling, but, the learning experience is useful, and maybe even fun. All of the info in this thread is helpful. Appreciated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.